Inexpensive board advice please - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Inexpensive board advice please

Here's my intro

I'm 5'8" 150lbs.

The rental board I used last Sunday, Burton LTR, didn't have much camber. I couldn't get it to carve, probably didn't tip the board far enough to have edge contact all the way.

I was wondering if I should look at a cambered board. I did some research and came up with Burton Restricted Ration. The reviews said this board's meant for intermediates and pros. So I'm a little hesitant.

Also size wise the rental board was 150. Is that a good size for me?

Thanks in advance.
StormRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the size isnt bad, but it doesnt make sense to buy a board intended for intermediate-advanced riders when you werent able to get an LTR board to carve properly. Those boards are made specifically to make learning easier. I would spend some more time using an LTR board before you contemplate spending money on a board that doesn't match your skill level.

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

although i generally agree with what eastside says, i would advise against rentals.

buy a cheap, intro board used (there should be LOTS on you local used item website) and get on that bad boy the first 2weeks of the season, or even if you're able to get out a bit more this season. when you feel more confident, sell the used one, take advantage of pre-season/clearance sales.

that's what i did. bought my first set up for $200, sold it for $200. Probably saved myself close to $100 in not having to rent during those 2days at panorama.
then, i bought a pickle for $400 on sale.

the trick is to sell it early in the next season. my experience selling gear is that its a LOT easier to do before christmas and boxing day.

either way, glad you're liking the sport enough to think about getting your own gear!!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yea i guess i shouldve been more clear - i didnt mean continue to rent a board, but rather to purchase a board that is meant for beginners, or possibly even an actualy used LTR board if you can find one.

You won't be able to differentiate the subtle naunces between boards yet, but they can greatly affect the way that you ride and how easy it is.

Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
Old 04-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

I am an advanced beginner. I have recently taken up boarding, spend most of my time on greens and blues. I can handle blues but not with the level of confidence I need to take the next step - so thats what I am working on.

I just went out and bought my first board - I got the Gnu Carbon Credit. Ive only gotten to ride it for two days so far, but Ive been really enjoying it. You can get it for under $300 and Ive been told its a good enough board that you can progress on it for a while before outgrowing it...
lirong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice and the encouragement.

Eastside, you have to excuse my ignorance, but is it possible to carve with the LTR? I know from my experience in skiing that rockered boards and not meant for carving. I couldn't find a lot of information on the LTR. Whether it's rockered or cambered. Besides when it comes to boards there's umpteen different types of cambers. It's a little overwhelming.

I was thinking about buying a board that I can learn on and carve with when I get better. But if that's not feasible I'll follow kayin's and lirong's advice.
StormRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Ration to a beginner. I still feel like everyone should learn on a cambered deck. The Ration is very affordable as far as Burton is concerned. It is soft but not super soft; holds a good edge, and especially for a beginner it is a board that you're not going to outgrow it really. It's a price point option that will be pretty serviceable ride anywhere on the mountain.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
Thanks for the advice and the encouragement.

Eastside, you have to excuse my ignorance, but is it possible to carve with the LTR? I know from my experience in skiing that rockered boards and not meant for carving. I couldn't find a lot of information on the LTR. Whether it's rockered or cambered. Besides when it comes to boards there's umpteen different types of cambers. It's a little overwhelming.

I was thinking about buying a board that I can learn on and carve with when I get better. But if that's not feasible I'll follow kayin's and lirong's advice.
It's not that I think it's a bad idea for you to get a board of your own - like many have said, just in terms of cost the board will pay for itself quickly. I just think it's important that you learn on a board meant for learning on, as opposed to one meant for advanced riders, because there really is a difference. I learned on a cambered 159 (im 5'8) and it made it much easier to move to a smaller, faster board. I now have a regular and a reversed cambered board (rockered) and while some might disagree with me, I think it is more valuable to have learned on a cambered board. Sure, the rockered design can help to stop edge catching, but it acts as a crutch rather than allowing you to learn not to catch your edges on your own. Not to mention, without C2, the boards can be very difficult to control and manipulate... I ate it hard last weekend trying to make a pretty standard toeside cute because I overcompensated for the board.

I'd say get yourself a basic, cambered board. I'd look for a Burton that's used but in good shape..maybe a few seasons old that someone is negelecting. You can usually get one cheap, and I've never ever had an issue with Burton's quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Ration to a beginner. I still feel like everyone should learn on a cambered deck. The Ration is very affordable as far as Burton is concerned. It is soft but not super soft; holds a good edge, and especially for a beginner it is a board that you're not going to outgrow it really. It's a price point option that will be pretty serviceable ride anywhere on the mountain.
I learned on a cambered deck and I feel that it made a big difference for me. I also think cambered decks (unless we're talking C2 BTX) are MUCH better all mountain boards... I dont trust my Gnu down icy steeps..

Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

You can carve a rockered board just fine unless you're on hardpack. I'm pretty sure the LTR is cambered, anyway.

More likely you aren't committing fully to the carve AND/OR the rentals you're using haven't had their edges sharpened since November.
Kesserendrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesserendrel View Post
You can carve a rockered board just fine unless you're on hardpack. I'm pretty sure the LTR is cambered, anyway.

More likely you aren't committing fully to the carve AND/OR the rentals you're using haven't had their edges sharpened since November.
but mannnn is it brutal to try and carve on ice. even with magnetraction, it was awful

Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX