Questions about my Carbon Credit, Camber, Rocker, etc. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions about my Carbon Credit, Camber, Rocker, etc.

Ive started to seriously focus on learning snowboarding this past winter and got to the point where Im taking on intermediate trails, but still work in progress.

Most of the winter I was boarding on rented camber snowboards - 150 length.

I finally decided to buy my own hear and a few weeks ago bought a Gnu CC 156.

I took it out for a couple of days last week and had a great time. But I found that I was struggling to initiate heal turns more than I was used to, and in particular felt like I couldnt get my rear foot in position. As a result, I was on occasion losing control coming out of my toe side turns, and Id start to head straight and speed up when I didnt want to, until Id really dig in hard and spin to the side to get on my heels and slow down.

My question: mostly this is probably just because Im not a very good snowboarder yet. But I was also wondering whether this might be related to either a) moving up to a longer board (150 to 156) and/or b) getting used to moving from a camber to a rocker-style board.

Any thoughts?
lirong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

could be a little bit of both. could also be that you were used to riding on a rented board - do you know what the binding angles were set at on the rental? youre talking an entirely different setup than youve been used to riding. i think its just gonna take some adjustment

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post
could be a little bit of both. could also be that you were used to riding on a rented board - do you know what the binding angles were set at on the rental? youre talking an entirely different setup than youve been used to riding. i think its just gonna take some adjustment
Definitely both things are probably working against OP. The board is probably way different, the stance is most likely different width & angles, and also making the transition to BTX instead of camber will take some re-learning

Also it is a longer board by about 2.5" so it will understandably feel a bit more difficult to initiate turns until you get used to the longer length.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 47

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yep, just get better and it wont be a problem. What you described is probably very common for someone still learning to link turns. I'm sure the bigger board and different setup causes it to feel different, but once you're a better snowboarder, the CC should be a very easy board to ride.

Just practice. I think all this new tech is starting to make new riders think too much. Remember, you still control the board, not the other way around.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i agree schmitty, the new tech is really confusing, and its impossible to translate how different the boards feel when riding them through words.

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post
i agree schmitty, the new tech is really confusing, and its impossible to translate how different the boards feel when riding them through words.
I agree that it's hard to describe, but what I meant was that there is no substitution for learning how to snowboard well. Once you are really comfortable on a board, you'll be able to ride whatever you strap on with little to no problem.

there are differnces for sure, and their are things that people prefer for different styles. But at the end of the day, once you know how to ride a board, those differences won't matter as much and won't prevent you from getting down the hill.

I guess my advice was to just practice riding your new board and don't worry about the tech. The board is not causing the problems, just magnifying a weakness in the technique. Tighten up the technique and you'll be riding better than before the new board.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I also picked up a CC as my first board.
The first couple few runs felt weird until I found a stance and angles that I liked, it made a big difference for me.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A few things. When I had a loose boot this is exactly the problem I had, going from toe side to heel side resulted in dead foot. Initiate a turn and nothing happens. I don't want to panic then catch and edge, so there is hesitation there and a stall. So make sure you don't have heel lift (which because your heel is lifted, when you go to heel side, all you do really is put your heel back where it belongs, so nothing happens).

Second, check stance and angles. When I moved my stance just a tiny bit wider this past weekend, it was crazy, I couldn't turn for squat. And I'm talking just a few centimeters out each way. At the same time I also opened up my stance a little more. Not sure which one caused the problems, but I moved both back immediately, and was able to ride again. Crazy how the most minute adjustments affect you.

Third it might be the board/length, so you might have to just get used to it.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I didnt think about stance width and angles.

I think I Have my angle set to +12 / -3, which is not too much different than my rentals, which I think were 15 / 0. I set the stance to be as narrow as possible on this board, but given the extra length it still felt a little wider than what I was used to, so maybe those things have impact...
lirong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Wait, you used the inner most holes to mount your bindings?
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote