new AM board for a tall and skinny guy - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default new AM board for a tall and skinny guy

I'm in the need of a new board and thought I'd ask for some advice. There is not a lot of choice around here, especially for the models that are frequently recommended in threads I found with the search.

Me: I'm 190cm and 70kg with size 12 shoe, so pretty tall and skinny. I started riding about 15 years ago while living in Lebanon. Over there it was mainly powder or groomed slopes with some natural drops. I've never been into riding tricks or big jumps, maybe partially because there where none, and partially because I'm a wuss. Growing older I doubt I'll be getting into them to any big degree in the future either. I used to ride quite a lot over there, or around 40-50 days a year. About 10 years ago I moved back to Finland. Here the slopes are really short, no powder and most people are into doing jumps tricks (maybe 'cause there is not that much else to do). I have not been riding very much lately, maybe since the slopes are small and fairly far away, and because I've had small kids.

Now my son is growing, and I've managed to get him excited about snowboarding. I'd like to get a new board too since the old one is pretty battered (hit a lot of stones while riding powder in Lebanon). Also my old shoes are a bit too small (and specific to the old bindings), the old board is too narrow so my toes keep catching (bearable on powder, but not very nice on hard pack).

I'm a bit late so most local shops with decent discounts have already sold out on the small stock they had of wide boards. I can find a few locally and in web stores I know...

- Nitro Pantera Wide 163 (price would end up being about 400€)
- Burton Custom X 159 or 164 (I could probably get the price down to about 500€)
- Ride Antic Wide 162 (price about 330€)

Any opinion on these? I also found a Stepchild Corporate Expat (158.5mw or 162.5) but I can't find anything online about it, and their site is really scarce on details.

Edit: thinking a bit further, there is a small snowboard park opened near where I live. While I don't want a board for that purpose, my son will probably want to go there quite often, and it would be good if the board would work there too (at least a bit, not high priority).

Last edited by kamina; 04-04-2011 at 09:40 AM.
kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

At your weight and how stiff the Pantera's are that 163 will ride you.

Try a Team Gullwing Wide or non Gullwing 157. Rocker will make float easier and is easier to turn. Gullwing also has this odd characteristic of stiffening a board when you put it on edge. Its awesome.

Stepchild makes a good stick and I have yet to be disappointed by one of their boards.

They do mostly make park oriented board though.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post

Try a Team Gullwing Wide or non Gullwing 157. Rocker will make float easier and is easier to turn. Gullwing also has this odd characteristic of stiffening a board when you put it on edge. Its awesome.

Stepchild makes a good stick and I have yet to be disappointed by one of their boards.

yeah i thought stepchild was more of a jib company. what do they make that is more all mountain/freeride?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post

By non "Gullwing" you mean the non-wide? So you'd say it's more important to have a board that's spot on for my weight then for my length? I was under the assumption that I would need a +160cm board.

One shop has the regular Gullwing in 157cm, but can't find a wide one (yet at least). They also have the regular team in wide and 157cm.

Quote:

Yeah, there is no meaningful description on the shops or companies website. I don't quite figure how you are supposed to pick an appropriate board from their lineup.

I noticed CRC also has an Arbor medium wide board (Wasteland) 159cm in stock. Quite a bit pricier then the others and seemed to be more of a jumping board? It does look beautiful though.

Found another online store. Don't know if they ship here (or how much the expenses would be), but they have a few wide boards in stock:

- Ride DH 2.4 wide in 159 and DH 2 in 162
- Ride Highlife wide in 159 & 163

Probably some others too (these mention wide in the title)

edit:

Found my current board, though it might have been a year or two earlier model:

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/199.../us/index.html

It's the 164cm Serge Vitelli signature model

Last edited by kamina; 04-05-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Arbor would be great. I haven't ridden a board from them I didn't really like. Coda would be a little more forgiving, but the Wasteland would be killer. And its plenty wide.

I meant by non Gullwing the cambered Team.

You might like the 2.4 159, but it is a true twin, so not the greatest for someone looking for an allmountain/freeride stick. Something directional will be more to your liking.

The Highlife 159 would be good too. I quite liked it, tank for sure.

A board neither knows nor cares how tall you are. It only responds to how much you weigh.

Also, buy my things?

Last edited by Nivek; 04-05-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
yeah i thought stepchild was more of a jib company. what do they make that is more all mountain/freeride?
They have the OG Powder...

Also, buy my things?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

I understand this is not the right forum section for this, but I just found one local shop with a Forum Shaka binding for a really cheap price (over 50% off). It ends up pretty much the cheapest binding I've seen till now... Looking on the forum people seem to not be giving it a lot of love, then again I can't find the models that are highly recommended here anymore.

I've also been testing some boots, and the Salomon Malamut has felt like the comfiest one. Is that a silly mix, having a very stiff boot and a flexible binding?
Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Its not a super flexible bindings. The Shaka just lest the board flex naturally underfoot.

I liked the Shaka.

Also, buy my things?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Got the boots and bindings today.

The shop selling the Ride Antic just lowered the price of the 162 wide, it seems silly cheap. I was close to ordering, but noticed my weight is right at the bottom of the compatibility range (or even below) for that board. Would I be correct in assuming that would not work for me?

They also lowered the price of the wasteland, just not as much.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Wasteland is a much better board than the Antic.

Stay sub 160. 70kilos is right around 155 pounds. I weigh 145 and my all mountain board would be a Signal Omni 156 or an Arbor Coda 157.

Also, buy my things?