is my setup any good? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default is my setup any good?

Male
Shoe size: 40/US 9
Length: 172/5í6
Weight: 60 kg/133lbs
Riding level: Beginner ĖIntermediate
Snowboarding for 4 years (one week per year) + 4-5 times indoor per year. Always with rented boards.
Green+blue: no sweat, often go off piste looking for natural SMALL jumps, switch, 180ís and that kind of stuff, small rails. Problem to pick up some descent speed!
Red: also no problem, but without playing around to keep my concentrating up.
Black: once, not my cup of thee yet!

What I want to do with my board in the future.
70% groomers
20% between pistes/off piste: some fooling around
9% park (starting to try some easy jumps and rails)
1% make huge face smashes

Set up
Forum conflict 154
Burton Mission bindings S
Celsius cloud 9 Ė O Zone

The forum conflict and mission bindings were a gift. I bought the boots myself. The gift was bought in a other country so I canít return it.

The board
Is this board any good for my experience. Iím getting some mixed information. Some people say to keep it (because its far better than a rental and I will just do fine with it) other say to get rid of it (because of the camber). Also mixed information on the board itself. Some websites call it stiff others say it soft. Iíve heard you always have to deduct 2 points on the stiffness rate with forum snowboards to be able to compare it with other companies.

Iím worried about the official description of the board. Will I be able to have a good ride with the board looking at the description, of being a aggressive board and the rate of stiffness. Will I be able to handle it?

If you have to compare it, should you compare it with the burton custom or the burton custom X?

Bindings
I think Iím gonna keep this anyway, in my opinion a good binding for any board. Feel free to correct me

Boots
I know they are for women, but they were by far the best fit in the shop.
mrasschaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

youre thinking about this way to much. The conflict is a fairly aggresive all-mountain freestyle board. The formula base is really quick. One of my main riding friends is on the 157, he has also owned a custom x and said they are pretty comparable flex wise. Its not soft. Its not going to be as forgiving as a soft-flexing camber or various types of reverse camber. IMO its a pretty sweet board for someone who wants to ride groomers 70% of the time.
idshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

With a size 9 boot, i would think you would need a size M (or even L depending on the brand)for your bindings.

Also are you still growing or done growing?
If not, i would say you could go smaller on the board size
(maybe 150-152).

My first couple boards were a bit big for my size, i had no problems riding but when i moved down the size i noticed how much easier it is to maneuver.

( i'm 5'8" 130lbs, first board was 157(8?)then went down to 155 finally dropped down to a 152). looking back when i had my first board (about 10 years ago, i was about 5'6" 120lbs) riding a 157(8?)K2 wisdom, it was like riding a long board. I could still hit jumps and stuff but i didn't have the response i could've had with a smaller board.
itzzzberny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Does it matter what we think go ride the fucking thing and stop over analyzing shit.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My first board was a Technine split T bought for ridiculous cheap before I learned how to ride. I learned how to ride. Don't worry about it. Go ride it. It's like putting a donut on your bat to swing around a few times to warm up. Once you remove the donut bam, home run. It'll be a little stiff since it's a little big for your size, but only a little. You're at the lower end of the weight range but it's ok.

As Burton says, just go ride it.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzzzberny View Post
With a size 9 boot, i would think you would need a size M (or even L depending on the brand)for your bindings.

Also are you still growing or done growing?
If not, i would say you could go smaller on the board size
(maybe 150-152).

My first couple boards were a bit big for my size, i had no problems riding but when i moved down the size i noticed how much easier it is to maneuver.

( i'm 5'8" 130lbs, first board was 157(8?)then went down to 155 finally dropped down to a 152). looking back when i had my first board (about 10 years ago, i was about 5'6" 120lbs) riding a 157(8?)K2 wisdom, it was like riding a long board. I could still hit jumps and stuff but i didn't have the response i could've had with a smaller board.
I'am done growing. I have rented a dozen boards, and had everything between 150 and 155. And 150-152 is indeed easier to maneuver but I had a more stable feeling with 153-154.

Why medium or large? I have US 9/EUR0 40. On the sizecharts of burton bindings it goes up to EURO 41
Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idshred View Post
youre thinking about this way to much. The conflict is a fairly aggresive all-mountain freestyle board. The formula base is really quick. One of my main riding friends is on the 157, he has also owned a custom x and said they are pretty comparable flex wise. Its not soft. Its not going to be as forgiving as a soft-flexing camber or various types of reverse camber. IMO its a pretty sweet board for someone who wants to ride groomers 70% of the time.
Yeah I know, I'm thinking to much about it. But I want to have fun when riding, not being in a fight with my snowboard. Like I have read on snowboard review sites that the custom X is not for beginner-intermediate riders? But you think otherwise, and I will have a blast on the board?