NS Heritage too much board for me??? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NS Heritage too much board for me???

I've spent the bulk of my weekend reading through these forums... so I want to apologize in advance for another "whats the right board for me thread?"

I recently moved to CO and after resisting requests of new friends to go snowboarding - I gave in late this winter. Needless to say... I'm absolutely addicted (been 6 times in ~ a month) and am going to try and get up a few more times in the next month. After renting a few time a friend let me borrow his old burton dragon with cartel bindings for the rest of the season. I've already bought my epic local pass for next year and want to get my own board this summer.

Weight - 157
Boot size - Burton Restricted Ruler 9.5
Riding style - NO interest in park riding. Like freeriding and want to get into some of the bigger slopes and trails when more experienced.
Age - definitely not growing
budget - N.A.
Your location of your riding - Abasin, Keystone, Breckenridge - will see ~30 days next year.

I've been looking at either a NS SL or Heritage. While I think a Heritage will better suit the type of riding I want to do longterm... I am concerned after reading reviews on this site that it may be too much board for me at my current skill level. Would I be better off buying an SL to ride for a few years and then get a Heritage? or is the Heritage a board that a progressing beginner with no desire for the park can handle?
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Get the SL you won't be riding any terrain that warrants a Heritage for a while unless suddenly you become some A-basin hiking prodigy.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses guys. Based on some of the threads I had read here I thought that was the case... but just wanted to have it confirmed by the experts.

I have to admit this is the first time in my life that I am sad winter is ending and wish I could fast forward to next fall!!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jer View Post
I have to admit this is the first time in my life that I am sad winter is ending and wish I could fast forward to next fall!!
HAha! Same thing happened to me after I started boarding. Suffer, sucker! You're doomed!

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You're in CO A Basin will reopen in early October if the weather permits and it won't close till June 7th. Go get your spring laps on.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Like all here have said, the SL will be a good choice. Its certainly flexible enough to get your learn on and stable enough that you'll be able to go more than fast enough when you've honed your skills.
fattrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
You're in CO A Basin will reopen in early October if the weather permits and it won't close till June 7th. Go get your spring laps on.
I'm gonna get up a couple more times to Abasin this spring. Think Im gonna go check out pond skimming as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattrav View Post
Like all here have said, the SL will be a good choice. Its certainly flexible enough to get your learn on and stable enough that you'll be able to go more than fast enough when you've honed your skills.
I appreciate the input from all you guys... I can't wait to buy one later this year!!!!!

Any thoughts on size? Based on SnoWolf's chart and other posts I've read - I'm thinking a 155.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well, im 185ish and im on a 53... we dont get the snow like you guys up north though.

Last edited by fattrav; 04-06-2011 at 03:58 AM. Reason: because im 10 lbs heavier than i thought...
fattrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

I really found both the SL and the Heritage to be more user friendly than other boards out there on the market. They really felt to me like point and shoot. Neither one of these boards are overly fast, you can flat base on them better than most in their comp set, edge hold is solid, and both are forgiving in the sense that if you lose balance or get your weight out in the wrong direction, they aren't going to jar you with a nasty fall.

Personally, I'd go with the one with the long term potential. The Heritage is definitely stiffer.

You are from Colorado? Go to Vail and see the guys at One Track Mind. They have both the SL and Heritage in a few different lengths, and they charge like 40 bucks for the day, and you can trade in and out as much as you want.

Unlike some of the others here, you aren't going to notice that much of a difference between the two, besides the stiffness, and possibly turn initiation. In my opinion, and this might have just been my experience, but both the SL and Heritage were more forgiving than many other brands. K2 has some easy stuff to learn on as well.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
I really found both the SL and the Heritage to be more user friendly than other boards out there on the market. They really felt to me like point and shoot. Neither one of these boards are overly fast, you can flat base on them better than most in their comp set, edge hold is solid, and both are forgiving in the sense that if you lose balance or get your weight out in the wrong direction, they aren't going to jar you with a nasty fall.

Personally, I'd go with the one with the long term potential. The Heritage is definitely stiffer.

You are from Colorado? Go to Vail and see the guys at One Track Mind. They have both the SL and Heritage in a few different lengths, and they charge like 40 bucks for the day, and you can trade in and out as much as you want.

Unlike some of the others here, you aren't going to notice that much of a difference between the two, besides the stiffness, and possibly turn initiation. In my opinion, and this might have just been my experience, but both the SL and Heritage were more forgiving than many other brands. K2 has some easy stuff to learn on as well.
Thanks Nolan. Unfortunately I haven't made it to Vail yet.. probably not till next year when I get 10 days as part of my epic pass.

Based on previous responses and reviews I've read I think I'm gonna go with the SL and will add another board like the Heritage in a year or two.