New Boarder looking for care advise - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Boarder looking for care advice

Hey so I started riding this past season. After going a few times of hitting the slopes on rentals, I decided I was ready for my own board. I bought a 2011 Burton Joystick board with Cartel EST bindings. I hit up Killington, VT and a few other mountains around where I live (PA, an hour away from the Poconos) with my board. So I hit the slopes on my board for a total of 4 times. I got good enough for Blue and some black trails. No park... yet

Now my question is, should I wax my board already? I don't see any dry spots but maybe I don't know what I'm looking for. I'm planning on practicing jumps and park next season. What do I need? I googled it and I read that I needed wax (obviously), a hot iron, a scraper, a bronze brush, and a nylon brush...

Last edited by Carlos10704; 04-06-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Carlos10704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you don't see any dry spots then you likely don't NEED to wax it, but I try to wax mine every few times up even if it doesn't look dry.

Your list of stuff looks good. Just watch the videos to figure out how it's done and the scrape like crazy until you think you're done...then scrape a little more.

I can't tell from your post, but are you planning on going up again this season? If not and the next time you ride is next year, put the wax on your board and don't scrape until you are ready to ride. It's a good idea to keep a layer of wax on your base over the summer.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would wax it if i was you. A good rule of thumb is to wax about every three time you go. Not only will it ride better but it will help with the longevity and life of your board. And ya your totally right it needs to be hot waxed. It would also be smart to sharpen your edges at least a couple times a year. Also wax your board before you store it but do not scrape it. Hope that helps.
kramer213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

nah I'm done for this season... all the mountains around me closed last weekend and Killington is 6 hours away... don't have vacation time to go up there. Looks like I'll be waxing the board and leaving it until next season. I'm watching the videos now, thanks for the advice
Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

One more question, should I edge by board as often as I wax it? I'm looking at my edge right now and I could cut bread with it
Old 04-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

no need to sharpen your edges alot, and no reason to sharpen them if you want to try park
i never sharpen my edges and i find it fine. dont bother with your edges. keep an eye on them maybe but if you plan on riding park, dont worry about edges because when you start doing rails, boardslides and sliding on the box in general, coming off rails early or sliding rails is gonna smooth your edges out and sharp edges plus jibs = bad news. Your list for waxing in my opinion is top notch, but i got a 2$ iron from the thrift store and a bulk bar of 2 wax's (warm weather and all temp), but i've had those over 2 years and i still got some, i really got into waxing my board last season and when it got warm i went to get a warm temp bar but all temp is fine for anything unless you are a world cup racer. nylon brush and bronze brush is unnecessary. a good scrape job is all it needs, as long as you can move your hand accross the base without feeling it catch on wax spots, thats what i gauge my scrape job on. you can also see wax still on there. you'll get better after every time you wax. If for some reason you believe you need a brush for a reason, which is unneccessary, get one of these: http://www.shippingsupply.com/images...ge/3734_xl.jpg and rub your board, just dont go in circles, you can rub back and forth though. using a brass brush wrongly can really fuck up your base if you dont use it properly, just sayin
CustomX - J-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

wow ok cool.... but how do I get rid of the old wax if I don't have a bronze brush?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos10704 View Post
wow ok cool.... but how do I get rid of the old wax if I don't have a bronze brush?
just wax over it unless it is dirty, if so use a cleaner, like a 409 or a citrus based cleaner.

Don't spend more than 7$ for an iron. Get a cheapo at Walmart.

Make sure you don't store your board in a damp place or you might have rusty edges next season.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstarrasl View Post
just wax over it unless it is dirty, if so use a cleaner, like a 409 or a citrus based cleaner.

Don't spend more than 7$ for an iron. Get a cheapo at Walmart.

Make sure you don't store your board in a damp place or you might have rusty edges next season.
hmmm ok so 409, wax, scraper, a rough brilo-like pad, and a nylon brush?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have never used a brush in all my years of waxing.

I just wax, scrape, use the brillo side of a sponge in a circular motion to smooth it out. But the 1st two are really the only things you need to do.

I only clean the base if I'm riding spring and the board is all grimy and dirty. I wax every time I ride unless I'm on a trip.

One ball jay wax.
If funds are tight just use paraffin.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote