Wow, boards have improved in the last 18 years... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wow, boards have improved in the last 18 years...

I started boarding around 1986, had a kemper agressor, burton air, and than in 1993 purchased a shiny new (and expensive) Mistral P157 which I still own (with original bindings) to this day. I had not ridden in about 9 years, but now that my two kids are old enough for the hill decided to bring the old board out of retirement. Still seems to be okay, I've had it out a half dozen times this season while they were in their lessons, but the bindings are almost shot. I get quite quite a few stares and questions on the hill over my board due to it's age and odd octagonal shape, and everybody I talk to at the hill and the local snowboarding shop say that technology has improved greatly since 1993 and that I should get a new board.

After talking to the young lads at the local ski/board shop, and based upon my experience, height/weight, budget, and riding style (which at my age is easy going, no tricks, just getting down the hill with my kids) I took the plunge a few weeks back and picked up a Burton Process (camber) 162 with Burton custom bindings which would be my first new board in 18+ years. I've now had it out 3 times and all I can say it wow. It is much lighter, easier to turn, and the bindings are absolutely night and day compared to what I was using before. I would not have expected the difference to be so large, but there it is. I think I'll hang on to the old boy for the heck of it, maybe pass it down to my son when he is a teenager.
1972Boarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

How about a picture of the antique?

In retrospect, "Let's get the goat drunk"
should have been my cue to leave the party.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It really is amazing how much boards have advanced,I started on a Blacksnow Legend.There was no camber, sidecut, and this one didn't even come with steel edges.Just aim it at the jump (it would only turn in powder)pull your method or Canadian bacon and ride away.
Sudden_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

even in the last 4 or 5 years, the technology has really improved. Snowboarding is still a very young sport, thinking about my first board is hilarious lol... what a piece of junk!
Old 04-10-2011, 02:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'd like to see a picture of that board as well.
TheJetCityFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetCityFix View Post
I have one but I am wearing my Christmas morning karate pyjamas, and a mullet...
Sudden_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeeeeahhh, I bought an old Burton Air from '93 that I'm learning on. I'm really proud of my old board, but I do plan on upgrading to a proper, modern board toward the end of next season. The thing's a beast compared to everything modern I've seen, so I'm following the shop owner's sentiment (as well as the sentiment of a few instructors I've talked to) in that learning the basics on this old behemoth will set me up pretty good to use a modern board.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetCityFix View Post
As requested here are a few pics; excuse the quality, it can be tough photographing something black and shiny with a flash.

The first pic (octagonal tip) is the top, the second is the bottom in which you can see the straight (steel tipped) edge, and the last is a close up of one of my bindings. The board itself, as per the name, is 157cm and is a brick. Apparently from the text on the board itself, it uses the 'flex torsion' system which I would assume meant the board was flexible back in the day compared to some of its previous counterparts.

As can be see from the last picture, the bolts and hinges on the bindings are badly rusted from the past 18 years. So much in fact that when I used it the 3 times this year, the snow that dripped down left some nice rust streaks and stains on my boots. A couple of the fasteners were so bad that I had trouble even getting them off my boots when at the hill. All that being said, it still managed to get me down the hill so that I could keep up with my kid's snowboarding/skiing classes.

One of the ski instructors offered to buy it from me on the spot which I thought was amusing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldBoard1.jpg (66.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg oldBoard2.jpg (64.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg oldBoard3.jpg (68.9 KB, 90 views)
1972Boarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Maybe here you find your old board!

http://www.snowboardmuseum.de/

This is my first board!

Sims 157 Halfpipe Competition Saison: 91/'92

Lets get RIOT!Ride wild or die hard!
mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That is one of the sickest old tip shapes I've seen in a while. Need to bring that back.