New equipment. How'd I do? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Snowblower

Default New equipment. How'd I do?

So far, I've been using rental boots, boards, and bindings (which snapped on me last time out) to see how I liked the sport (which I have fallen in love with, and yes, I've taken 3 lessons thus far, in addition to having plenty of time for my own practice runs). So, with now being a good time for deals, I couldn't resist (since I know I want to keep doing this)

2008 Vans Mantras, size 13, for 130 bucks. I know they're on the low-end of the scale, but they fit me very well, and selection in my size is sparse.

2008 Rome Targas, L/XL, for 150 bucks. Everything I've heard about these tells me they're fantastic bindings. So when I saw them available at this price, I heard a voice in my head say "DO IT!"

Aaand my very first board.

2008 Endeavor Live 158W for 320 bucks. I wanted an all-mountain board, and this seems to fit the bill, not too mention all the reviews I've read (albeit there are few) are pretty glowing in their description of its abilities. That it also looks (to me) pretty effing cool is just a nice bonus. I can't wait for my first run with my own gear, and looking forward to improving my skills going down the runs, and maybe getting a chance to try it at the park, when I'm ready for it.

Grand total? 600 bucks. I think that's pretty good for new, current year equipment, eh? Opinions, comments, criticisms are all welcome.

Last edited by Snowblower; 02-15-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Well if the boots fit your right and your heel doesn't lift off the insole when you lean forward while strapped in/no strapped in you did great. If the cheapest pair of boots on the planet fit your feet well then that's an excellent thing . Very good deal on a high quality pair of bindings. I bought a cheap-ass pair for my first and broke them in about 3 trips. I got some Rides and never looked back. There is no reason to avoid a high end binding especially at that deal. The board I am completely unfamiliar with but hey, if you are new you will grow into it and get to know it. I'd say you did well. Now go ride that shit! And you will be very happy to have one setup to get used to instead of a bunch of different 1/2 worn-trashed rental equipment that is probably improperly sized and not what you want anyway.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
st.stark

Love it! I am sure you won't be disappointed... (unless you are somehow disappointed with snowboarding overall *shudder*) lol Have fun!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Goat

Wow...great set up for the bucks!

Mr.Right is...well...just that.Right.A good boot is one that fits and is comfy.

There is nothing,nothing,NOTHING,like having your own gear!!!!Welcome to the next level of riding...you will get A LOT better with your own stuff!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
mbehr22

Not to hijack your thread but im in the same boat

I got tired of having/renting half ass stuff (plus rental costs were always astronomical IMO)

So i bit the bullet and got all new gear ... i was going to do the cheap/used route, but then figured i would do it right

NS Titan 160 (07) 389
Vans Fargo for 155 (i think - around 160)
Flow M 11 bindings for around 165
the burton F13?? box tool is in the mail as well as the burton wheelie bag

i already had all of the clothing, just needed to get the hardware

the boots/binding feel amazing in the den ... cant wait to get em on the slopes
Old 02-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Right View Post
Well if the boots fit your right and your heel doesn't lift off the insole when you lean forward while strapped in/no strapped in you did great. If the cheapest pair of boots on the planet fit your feet well then that's an excellent thing .
Well, that's good, then, because these do fit me just as you described.... the heel doesn't lift off the insole. 130 bucks down from around 180, I believe, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Right
Very good deal on a high quality pair of bindings. I bought a cheap-ass pair for my first and broke them in about 3 trips. I got some Rides and never looked back. There is no reason to avoid a high end binding especially at that deal. The board I am completely unfamiliar with but hey, if you are new you will grow into it and get to know it. I'd say you did well. Now go ride that shit! And you will be very happy to have one setup to get used to instead of a bunch of different 1/2 worn-trashed rental equipment that is probably improperly sized and not what you want anyway.
Thank you, sir! I feel like I did pretty well myself, but it's always good to hear from others on the subject, too. I know the Rome Targas are supposed to be awesome, so I can't wait to use them. Not to mention my new board!

Speaking of which, I went to Cypress today for a full day of boarding with rental equipment (I just ordered my board online yesterday, so that's not a go yet, plus I had already paid for rentals at Cypress as part of a package deal), and I think I made the right choice not buying the Ride Yukon, I'm not ready for that kind of edge just yet (see my new thread under snowboarding chat for the details of today).