Hey tell my friend something - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
FrankDaTank089

lol, im the worst out of everyone here, had 3 of my good friends here at school who all had boards and had been boarding for a few years. Wanted me to go with them so I bought a forum recon and jacket (borrowed bindings, rented boots, and already had crappy pants.)

good thing i was decent and loved it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ispepsi

I'd been skiing before but never tried boarding before this year.
Before I went bought all the outerwear (special blend pants/jacket), baselayers, fleece etc, Ride Agenda 152, 32-TM2 boots, K2 auto bindings, board lock, stomp pad, leash, ninja mask etc....we're talking everything AND booked a vacation to Big White.
All worked out great for me, only regret is that I never got up to local mountains before heading off to the resort. Due to 1st day bumps bruises day 2 got cut short and day 3 never happened because girlfriend had emergency we had to come back early for.
Ordered all the hardware online through U.S. since Canadian retail prices were/still are ridiculous by comparison, just tried the boots on here and hoped for the best with the rest.
But the gear all in all worked great, just the vacation wasn't planned well.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
SuperSportChevy

I bought my Arbor last season have only been out a few times. I love owning my own gear and not having to worry about shitty rentals and stuff like that. My friend gave me shit because my gear will only see 10-15 days a season of riding but then once he thought about renting at $30/day, well in one season he could have all his own brand new gear...
Old 02-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
sparty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSportChevy View Post
I bought my Arbor last season have only been out a few times. I love owning my own gear and not having to worry about shitty rentals and stuff like that. My friend gave me shit because my gear will only see 10-15 days a season of riding but then once he thought about renting at $30/day, well in one season he could have all his own brand new gear...
That's the main reason I bought my gear...in a perfect world, all rentals would be strap-ins with nice edges, but I always seem to get step-ins and I feel like I have no control with those.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
3sand7s

I'm going to disagree also.

I bought mine after my first time. I think it's best to learn on your own board, Because going from a rental to a new board or you own board is a huge change. And I can't see how he would fuck his board up on a bunny hill, it's mostly experienced riders that fuck their boards up anyways.

Just a little thought, but it sounds like you might be wishing you we're the one getting the arbor and not him. IMO
Old 02-17-2008, 12:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

I bought mine(board,bindings,boots,2nd jacket,2nd pant,lock,tool,2 goggles after 2 times on the hill (I only knew how to heelslide at this point) but was ready to buy it after my 1st time on the hill (money lacked though).

I didnt fuck up my board. If anything, it helped me tremendously progress. I don't regret it at all.
romesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

I bought a board/boots/bindings after my first time out. Life is too short to grouse over someone else's passion. The Arbors are beautiful boards--Perhaps your friend is buying more than just the performance of the board. Regardless of what he is buying, he is buying. Your friendship might better be served by your support rather than admonitions. I sound like a crank dr phil. Not my intent--I just think it would be better for you to not put this kind of wedge issue between you and your friend.

And your friend chose as excellent time to buy--better than start of season full retail.

2011 Ride Insano boots w/ redhot Superfeet insoles

Stance +15/-15 @ 24"
DuncanShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanShea View Post
I bought a board/boots/bindings after my first time out. Life is too short to grouse over someone else's passion. The Arbors are beautiful boards--Perhaps your friend is buying more than just the performance of the board. Regardless of what he is buying, he is buying. Your friendship might better be served by your support rather than admonitions. I sound like a crank dr phil. Not my intent--I just think it would be better for you to not put this kind of wedge issue between you and your friend.

And your friend chose as excellent time to buy--better than start of season full retail.
To add to the above, you (the original poster) should be happy that you have another friend to ride with. regardless of whether he can or cant carve, since eventually, he'll be able to keep up with you.
romesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
HERO XXL

...I can just imagine your friend laughing at you after you show him this thread.

...on second thought, maybe you shouldn't.

Anyway--everyone here has given a number of good points as to why buying isn't the end of the world--ESPECIALLY the price point of gear right now!!--Personally, I bought after my third trip--I took into consideration the $$ I was dropping on rentals, which didn't make sense to me. I waited 'til about now in the season and bought board, boots and bindings. STILL no regrets. Now, when I go 'boarding, (including gas, lift ticket and lunch) I'm not spending more than $42. and I don't HAVE to fill up the tank all the time either! so that's, what? 20 dollars for the lift ticket and 6 for lunch? Can't beat that-Imagine if i had to pay for rentals? Buying was the easy choice for me.

Damn! Wait 'til NEXT year when I have a SEASON PASS!!
(no $6 dollar lunches either! Strictly POP-TARTS!!)
Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERO XXL View Post
...I can just imagine your friend laughing at you after you show him this thread.

...on second thought, maybe you shouldn't.

. . . . .

Damn! Wait 'til NEXT year when I have a SEASON PASS!!
(no $6 dollar lunches either! Strictly POP-TARTS!!)
Evidently, this thread did not go down as originally planned I am glad to know I fit into common pattern -- I was feeling a little extravagant and obsessive for jumping in after a first experience. Turns out it happens alot (at least to the obsessives who frequent this forum!).

What gets me is my bar tab at the end of a day. But I probably mix in more "breaks" than most. And I suggest a bag of beef jerkey in your jacket.

Hero XXL touches on another phenom that might hold true -- buying a pass your second season (after gear the first). Passes for next go on sale tomorrow and I am all over it. Good deal: comes with the rest of this season free. I wonder how many of us live next to a tiny hill where we put our practice time in (and dream of real snow). Nonetheless, every second I am on my board, I am happy, even with fake snow and short 300' drops.

2011 Ride Insano boots w/ redhot Superfeet insoles

Stance +15/-15 @ 24"
DuncanShea is offline   Reply With Quote