Board for GF who just started linking turns - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board for GF who just started linking turns

Hi,

Looking for a board for my GF, given it's the end of the season in the North Hemisphere plenty of good deals floating around.

My GF has had about 7 days on a board, started linking slow speed turns towards the end of that trip, but I think might need a bit of catch up on our next trip, which will be a whole season. So I think realistically her skill level is mid to high beginner, however she should progress quite a bit with 3 months on the snow.

She is 5'5", 125 lbs, Size 6 womens shoes, I doubt she will be interested in park, likely riding when she progresses will be just general cruising around all over the mountain. General size calculators show 147-149 sizes applicable for her, although the board width at those sizes get a bit wide for her small feet. I think a rocker of sort would be ideal, to prevent her catching edges. Im a big fan of my NS SL, and think the Rock-Camber combo is spot on so have also been looking into the Nitro Gullwing camber lineup.

Some research ive come up with the following boards:
NS Pandora - would ideally buy this, however hard to find right size and a good deal, probably doesn’t need to spend this much $
GNU B-Nice - MTX would be good for the ice conditions we would encounter at some stage in the southern hemisphere
Nitro Mystiq (too stiff maybe or too advanced?) or Runaway (this one might be too soft for all mtn)
K2 Fling

Any recommendations on those boards?

I found a good deal on a 145 GNU B-nice. Will 145 be a bit too small for her? However the narrower board width is good for her small feet.

What size should I be really looking for her?
The steps are usually 145-146 or 148-149?

Should I be looking at any other boards from the bigger brands? Any suggestions on applicable models?
Roxy?
Bataleon?
Burton?

Any suggestions on bindings for to go with the boards would be awesome completely lost where to go there.

Boot wise we will go into a store and try as many on to see what fits and what doesn’t.

Thanks for your help
RaID is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaID View Post
Hi,

Looking for a board for my GF, given it's the end of the season in the North Hemisphere plenty of good deals floating around.

My GF has had about 7 days on a board, started linking slow speed turns towards the end of that trip, but I think might need a bit of catch up on our next trip, which will be a whole season. So I think realistically her skill level is mid to high beginner, however she should progress quite a bit with 3 months on the snow.

She is 5'5", 125 lbs, Size 6 womens shoes, I doubt she will be interested in park, likely riding when she progresses will be just general cruising around all over the mountain. General size calculators show 147-149 sizes applicable for her, although the board width at those sizes get a bit wide for her small feet. I think a rocker of sort would be ideal, to prevent her catching edges. Im a big fan of my NS SL, and think the Rock-Camber combo is spot on so have also been looking into the Nitro Gullwing camber lineup.

Some research ive come up with the following boards:
NS Pandora - would ideally buy this, however hard to find right size and a good deal, probably doesn’t need to spend this much $
GNU B-Nice - MTX would be good for the ice conditions we would encounter at some stage in the southern hemisphere
Nitro Mystiq (too stiff maybe or too advanced?) or Runaway (this one might be too soft for all mtn)
K2 Fling

Any recommendations on those boards?

I found a good deal on a 145 GNU B-nice. Will 145 be a bit too small for her? However the narrower board width is good for her small feet.

What size should I be really looking for her?
The steps are usually 145-146 or 148-149?

Should I be looking at any other boards from the bigger brands? Any suggestions on applicable models?
Roxy?
Bataleon?
Burton?

Any suggestions on bindings for to go with the boards would be awesome completely lost where to go there.

Boot wise we will go into a store and try as many on to see what fits and what doesn’t.

Thanks for your help
How much are you getting for the B-Nice?
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

$360AUD ~($370US), locally sourced online in Australia which retails here usually for $700AUD

Were happy to buy online from the US except have to then add approx $100 to the price to take into account shipping, which still come up as good deals relative to local stores.
RaID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

forum star is the narrowest width that i know of and its rockered. bought one for my wife she is gonna try it on sat. bought it on ebay for about $250. just make sure it was this years board as last years is reg camber.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you are worried about waist width, go with a softer board. That'll help compensate for any difficulties she may have turning. That being said, a size 6 boot is small, but not terribly small.

I love my Pandora - very soft, easy to turn board, but also very damp and stable.

I think the B-Nice would be an excellent option. She'd progress nicely on it and that's a great price. It's perhaps a bit short, but that's okay given her small feet.

Don't know much about Nitro, but I've heard tons of recommendations for the Fling as a beginner board.

Other boards: K2 Lunatique, Rome Vinyl, Ride Compact
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
mjd

My girlfriend started this year. She's 5'4" 135 lbs. I got her a 145 Gnu B-Nice and she likes it a lot. Already started riding switch a little! Not doing so well in the pow though which is strange because it's full rocker. I'd probably recommend it as a safe bet for a beginner to try out.