Burton Custom Flying V vs Never Summer SL or Heritage - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Burton Custom Flying V vs Never Summer SL or Heritage

I just found out my father is Darth Vader.
Okay joke time over. Just like ol' Lukey I'm not really turning to the dark side. I'm just curious how the edge technology ("Frostbite Edges") compares to the NS Vario in terms of edge hold.

Has anyone tried both of these boards?
dryphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well I have the Heritage and love it...the Magnetraction in the LibTech boards also does great on crusty/icy surfaces (previous board was a C2 T.Rice). I haven't ridden the Butron and I wouldn't consider myself a hater but in a couple of the reviews I've read on the Custom Flying V the reviewers both commented that they felt let down by the Frostbite edges, thinking it was going to do something for them but in fact their previous board held a better edge. One of those was a review on here...might want to look for it. In fact I think in the end the guy demoed a NS SL and said it was like night and day and bought the demo even though the Custom was new...I might be wrong on that but that's what I remember.
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I read that review too. Pretty convincing. But do a Google search for "burton flying v vs never summer" and you'll find that same review all over the web, which is a little fishy. Either the guy went out of his way to rave about his new board, or something else.

Anyway, I just figured I'd post here to see if I can get any other experiences comparing these two technologies.
dryphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

I demo'd the flying v, heritage, sl, and Evo earlier this year. I learned on camber and my first board was a cambered arbor element. I wanted something more forgiving but that still could hold an edge and not wash out. I bought the Evo and loved the heritage even more. Not trashing the Burton it just felt like I had to learn how to ride it, the never summers were just easier and more fun. Flying v contact between the bindings really threw me off. My two cents.

2010 Arbor Element
2010 Rome Targa
2011 NS Evo
2011 Rome 390 Boss
2009 Salomon F22
mwl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have ridden both boards. I personally like the Sl over the custom. It was the way he canmber was situated hat made the difference. The sl felt way more pawerful and poppy, because the camber is outside the bindings. Where as the custom felt more like you were riding a rocker board, because the camber was under the binding and then rockered out to the tip and tail. The custom did not feel near as stable as the Sl at high speeds.
lonestarrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

I like the Custom Flying V, I demoed it in a few different sizes and ended up buying the 158 yesterday. It was a bit of an impulse purchase, I stopped by a shop that was having a buy one get one free sale on boards and bindings so I walked out with the Custom and my daughter has a new Roxy Ollie Pop. Looking forward to riding it soon.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I like the Custom Flying V, I demoed it in a few different sizes and ended up buying the 158 yesterday. It was a bit of an impulse purchase, I stopped by a shop that was having a buy one get one free sale on boards and bindings so I walked out with the Custom and my daughter has a new Roxy Ollie Pop. Looking forward to riding it soon.
Nice! i have the 2011 custom flying v 158 wide. I live in colorado and although we usually dont have a whole lot of ice, there are the windy days up top when it gets a little ice like. I have never had problems with my board and i'm a meager 155 pounds. i think its an awesome board not to mention the total stability at top speeds. i'm lookin for the 2012 NS heritage or 2012 bataleon lineup for my next board! good purchase though!