Gnu B-Nice or Roxy Ollie Pop - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gnu B-Nice or Roxy Ollie Pop

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new board for my girlfriend.

She rides all mountain she is beginner to intermediate even though she has been riding for 4 years. We ride in North east Canada so we get a lot of ice. She weighs 110 is 5' 3.

We have narrowed it down to the 2011 Gnu B nice or Roxy Ollie Pop. Which one do you guys think will fit her style now and as she progresses?
zeeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I haven't ridden either but have a Gnu board with C2BTX. I like the pop the C2 provides with the BTX.

Both are Mervin, so you're good there. But I'm pretty sure the B-Nice is only BTX, whereas the Ollie Pop is C2BTX.

Depends on what your gf is looking for - if she's coming from a reg cambered board, she might like some pop.
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would go with the Ollie Pop, mainly because the 145 Gnu B-nice may be a tad long for her.

Review here: Snowboard Review: 10-11 Roxy Ollie Pop C2 BTX – Shayboarder.com
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

My wife loves her b- nice. Very forgiving.
Ca-Pow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
I would go with the Ollie Pop, mainly because the 145 Gnu B-nice may be a tad long for her.

Review here: Snowboard Review: 10-11 Roxy Ollie Pop C2 BTX Shayboarder.com
What size would you guys/gals recommend her?
She currently rides a 145, should she go to 143?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeden View Post
What size would you guys/gals recommend her?
She currently rides a 145, should she go to 143?
Please let us know her foot size as well.

Thanks!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

She is a size 6.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
She is a size 6.
Got it. The 141 Ollie would be my top choice. The B Nice 145 (I am unaware of the 143 that you mentioned) is the same width at the inserts as the Ollie 141, but she does not require the extra 3 cm of contact length. The 145 Ollie is up to 23.9 at the waist and 24.7 at the center inserts which is overly wide for her small feet.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default 141 Gnu B-Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Got it. The 141 Ollie would be my top choice. The B Nice 145 (I am unaware of the 143 that you mentioned) is the same width at the inserts as the Ollie 141, but she does not require the extra 3 cm of contact length. The 145 Ollie is up to 23.9 at the waist and 24.7 at the center inserts which is overly wide for her small feet.
141.. that changes things. We were set on getting a 145 ollie from a local shop here. They don't have a 141 ollie they also sold their 145 b nice. Although there is a Roxy Ally 143 and a Roxy Sugar 142 left.

Last edited by zeeden; 04-17-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
141.. that changes things. We were set on getting a 145 ollie from a local shop here. They don't have a 141 ollie but there is another store with a 141 b-street. What do you think?

Thanks again
Hi Zeeden,

I wrote the following in response to another post here a few days ago, but it applies here as well:

Length, which describes only the tip to tail length of a board is a truly useless measurement. The shape of the tip and tail can change length by up to 6 cm on board that have the identical running surface and effective edge. You will see this become even more evident in the upcoming season because flatter tips and tails are being used again on many shapes. Just blunting the tip and tail will shorten any given board by 3-4 cm without having any real impact on the way it rides.

Have a look at the Gnu specs below. The 141 B Street has a running length of 108 cm (exactly the same as the B Nice 145 cm) but it 23.7 at the waist where the B Nice is only 23.4 (it is also still wider at the inserts where it counts). That is to say that the B-street 141 is actually a bigger board than the B Nice 145. They are of course, designed for different types of riding as well.

Additionally width matters a lot for women with small feet. Keep in mind that a women's 6 is the same as a men's 5 shoe size (TINY). Her foot is only 23 cm long. These boards are all over 23 cm at the waist and are all over 24 at the inserts. That is not ideal (although for small footed riders there is no getting around it). It robs a rider of leverage and control if they are not at or over the edges. We need to try to keep the width as narrow as possible for this rider. That factor will have the greatest impact on her enjoyment.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 04-17-2011 at 07:14 PM.