Anything Else I Need to Get/Do Before I Hit the Slopes? *New Setup* - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
mbehr22

Default Anything Else I Need to Get/Do Before I Hit the Slopes? *New Setup*

1st - thanks to everyone who has given me advice

this is a great forum

so far, I have my bindings (flow m 11), never summer titan 160, and vans fargo boots ready to roll ...

i attached the bindings to my board yesterday - it was my 1st time building a board and i hope i got it right. i went through and double checked the screws (bolts) holding the bindings to the board, however im not sure if i need to double check andything else on the bindings (buckles/straps/etc) as everything (as far as i can tell) looks good to go.

I used the thumbwheel on the rear of the binding to tighten the calbe so that the highback leans forward ~ 5+ degrees and puts pressure on my calf...

im assuming its ready to ride out of the box as there is a "factory waxed with oneballjay wax'

so what am i overlooking?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
thebutress

my wife and i just bought boards too, and from what i've read, the factory wax is not going to do as well as a good hot waxing. And i think i remember a couple folks recommending waxing a new board multiple times. I'm planning to clean and wax our boards as soon as i get the stuff in the mail. that and we're going to add stomp pads to our boards.

nice looking gear, though.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
xevi89

Nice setup! But yes, you will be wanting to wax it. It's nothing hard to do and can be done at home with a small amount of supplies. Also your edges. I don't know what your board is made to ride or what you plan to do with it. But your edges need a proper bevel and the tips need detuned.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
mbehr22

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevi89 View Post
Nice setup! But yes, you will be wanting to wax it. It's nothing hard to do and can be done at home with a small amount of supplies. Also your edges. I don't know what your board is made to ride or what you plan to do with it. But your edges need a proper bevel and the tips need detuned.
dumb question:

why wouldnt a new board come ready to ride?

and what does 'detuning' entail?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

You can ride it now, but factory wax won't last very long as it is there to mostly keep the base from drying out. However if you want to ride it a couple of days it will be fine, just get it waxed in the near future. Detuning, I would not worry about. You are not taking that titan into the park I would guess. At some point if you want to get the tip and tail detuned, you can. It can help fine tune your riding. I am not good enough to notice a difference though. Also if you are new that is a very aggressive board, so don't get discouraged...It will flat out ride once you get the hang of it....
BRsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
xevi89

Some do, some don't it's up to the company. And yours might already be tuned and all but I don't know.

Detuning is basically rounding off the edge until it's basically as dull as it can get. This is always done on the nose and the tail. They don't in any way affect the motion of the board except if they catch an edge which is always a bad thing. This is why they are detuned, to prevent/eliminate catching an edge/

ETA: I just looked into your board a little and I couldn't find anything on the edges yet. But it does have a sintered base. Sintered bases are a little heavy on the maintenance side. They absorb more wax, but they also lose it faster.

Last edited by xevi89; 02-16-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

NS boards do not come detuned, but a large majority of the people can ride them without detuning...You will not catch your tail or tip edge unless you are doing something seriously wrong. Detuning for freeride is usually done at the ends of your effective edge to increase performance...but unless you are very good you will not notice. Never summer boards are so over build, you do not need to worry much about beating it up. That is why they carry a 3 year warranty. Just keep it waxed on a regular basis and you are good to go. As I mentioned before, if you are new the learning curve might be a bit longer as that is a super aggressive board...enjoy...
Old 02-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
duke_fann

You're ready to ride, after 1 or two times out, you will need to get it waxed or do it yourself. I'm sure you're local slopes offers waxing and tuning, so if you dont feel comfortable to do it yourself, it may be work gettin your edges tuned and waxed.

As of now though, you're ready to ride
Old 02-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
mbehr22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRsnow View Post
if you are new the learning curve might be a bit longer as that is a super aggressive board...enjoy...
whats makes a board 'aggressive'?
Old 02-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

It is an advanced stiff freeride board. One of the best, but if you are not aggressive with it, it can ride you...