First board for a petite female - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 04:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

female First board for a petite female

Dear all, first post here!

I took up snowboarding a few weeks ago and really liked it, and I'd like to get some own gear so that I can learn in it. I'm pretty petite, 5'1" and weigh around 95lbs. I've started doing turns and at a stage where I'm struggling to link turns on the rental board. I guess I'm looking for something I can have fun and progress quickly with (ie, link turns) but also something I can grow in as I pick up speed. As I've gathered from other posts, these seem to be good options:

1) Nitro Mystique 142
2) Roxy Ollie Pop 141
3) K2 Lunatique 138 or 142

I really like the GNU B-Nice, but it only comes in 145 for women or 135 kid's size unfortunately.

May I also ask if the Roxy Eminence will likely to be too "advanced" as a beginner board?

Thanks!!
Judestudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judestudio View Post
Dear all, first post here!

I took up snowboarding a few weeks ago and really liked it, and I'd like to get some own gear so that I can learn in it. I'm pretty petite, 5'1" and weigh around 95lbs. I've started doing turns and at a stage where I'm struggling to link turns on the rental board. I guess I'm looking for something I can have fun and progress quickly with (ie, link turns) but also something I can grow in as I pick up speed. As I've gathered from other posts, these seem to be good options:

1) Nitro Mystique 142
2) Roxy Ollie Pop 141
3) K2 Lunatique 138 or 142

I really like the GNU B-Nice, but it only comes in 145 for women or 135 kid's size unfortunately.

May I also ask if the Roxy Eminence will likely to be too "advanced" as a beginner board?

Thanks!!
What style of riding will you be planning on, park, powder, freeride etc...or still undecided?
Sudden_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi, I'm the same height as you. Not the same weight, but let's not talk about that

You have lots of options... from your list the Roxy Ollie Pop is really awesome. The Roxy Eminence is a bit stiffer probably but it's not really too advanced if you like it. Shayboarder who does reviews says that it actually doesn't feel too stiff.

Other boards you might consider are the Never Summer Pandora (comes in 140), a Roxy Ally BTX (comes in 143, and is probably similar to the B-Nice, both are direction twin boards, and BTX which means rocker between the bindings and flat outside the bindings), the Arbor Cadence 139 (rocker, extruded base)...

Where are you riding and what's your shoe size?
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Roxy Ollie Pop looks pretty nice. C2BTX is a neat cambering too. Also check out the Roxy Eminence... on second thought 149 might be too big.

Last edited by SlickmisterN; 04-20-2011 at 12:58 PM.
SlickmisterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden_Death View Post
What style of riding will you be planning on, park, powder, freeride etc...or still undecided?
I haven't decided, but I reckon I'll be trying a bit of each in the coming season (I'm in New Zealand, season starts around June!). We have mostly packed and groomed snow in the fields.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judestudio View Post
I haven't decided, but I reckon I'll be trying a bit of each in the coming season (I'm in New Zealand, season starts around June!). We have mostly packed and groomed snow in the fields.
They all look like solid choices.Any chance there might be a demo day at your local hill where you could try a few out and find what feels best to you?Especially trying out the different camber combinations.You might find a full reverse camber feels a bit squirrley or you might like that looser feeling.As long as you don't get something too stiff that it bucks you around you should be fine.
Sudden_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden_Death View Post
They all look like solid choices.Any chance there might be a demo day at your local hill where you could try a few out and find what feels best to you?Especially trying out the different camber combinations.You might find a full reverse camber feels a bit squirrley or you might like that looser feeling.As long as you don't get something too stiff that it bucks you around you should be fine.
Thanks, SD! I will try to find out about demos but I've checked a few shops so far and 1) we don't get a lot of brands and 2) doesn't seem like the shops like to get in the shorter boards (<142cm). There may be a chance I just need to bite the bullet and buy it online. Hence, need all the help I can get here!

I have been looking at complete rockers initially, but general consensus seems to be that it will outgrow a beginner pretty quickly. We have an indoor snow dome close to home so I'm planning to do quite a bit of riding throughout the year and hope to get something that will "last" a bit longer as I learn and pick up skills.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you do not mind regular camber, I would suggest the Forum Star 09/10. I have been riding this board for a couple of seasons and it is super light and flexy. You will be able to progress fast on this one. The only drawback: the edge hold on steep and icy terrain, but it is an inexpensive board that will make snowboarding really fun.
I am 5'3'' and 122 lbs and bought the 142; I think that was the smallest size...
kaetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Eminence is a sweet board, but it's a lot of board for a beginner. You probably wouldn't have a hard time riding it, but it's an expensive deck for someone who's just learning and determining her riding style, etc.

All three boards you mentioned are great. The Ollie Pop would be the best if you live in an area that gets a lot of ice.

The boards cocolulu suggested are also good. I currently ride the NS Pandora and love it - very forgiving, but fun and stable in choppy conditions.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickmisterN View Post
Roxy Ollie Pop looks pretty nice. C2BTX is a neat cambering too. Also check out the Roxy Eminence... on second thought 149 might be too big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
The Eminence is a sweet board, but it's a lot of board for a beginner. You probably wouldn't have a hard time riding it, but it's an expensive deck for someone who's just learning and determining her riding style, etc.

All three boards you mentioned are great. The Ollie Pop would be the best if you live in an area that gets a lot of ice.

The boards cocolulu suggested are also good. I currently ride the NS Pandora and love it - very forgiving, but fun and stable in choppy conditions.
The Eminence do come in 143 (is that still a bit long for me though?), but it's awfully difficult to locate one, they seem to have sold out everywhere! I really like the Eminence, though maybe a lame reason, but the graphics was actually from a New Zealand photographer, makes it quite special for us really. It's a shame I can't find one in the right size...