The right board for me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The right board for me?

Hi all, I just bought a new board. I am a female 5'3'' and 120lbs, my current boots are size 6 Ride Onyx, which are a little shorter than most size 6 boots; I consider myself an intermediate rider.

I used to ride a 142 Kemper board( which I felt was too wide for my tiny boots) and currently ride a 142 Forum Star ( regular camber), which feels super light and is really easy to turn ( and has the perfect width), but it has some drawbacks as well; not enough edge hold on steep slopes and icy terrain and it starts to chatter when you go a little faster.

I enjoy making long S -turns and short quick turns down the mountain, and I recently started riding smaller pipes and I like to do "mini" jumps and some easy boxes.

Anyway, I went into the store looking at the Rome Vinyl 143 and 146 to see which would be a better choice for me and the clerk stepped it and recommended me a different board: 147 Roxy Envi C2BTX, based on what I told him I would like ( a stiffer board than than the forum star to increase stability etc.). He raved about this board and gave me a great deal (40% off) on this board, so I decided to go ahead and get it.

Now, when I compare the 2 boards ( Forum Star vs the Roxy), I see a big difference not only in size, but of course in stiffness. The Roxy feels super stiff, and on top of that it has magnetraction and the banana rocker, which I am not used to, so I started worrying whether this board might have been the wrong choice for me.

What do you guys think? Is the step from 142 to 147 too big? And from really soft to pretty stiff? From camber to rocker with magnetraction?

Also, I purchased a pair of Union Trilogy bindings online that I had intended to match with the Rome Vinyl that I had originally planned to buy, and wanted to mount them on the Roxy Envi, but the screws seem way too short, they barely touch the holes, so that I cannot even get them tightened at all and the washers don't seem to fit the baseplate very well either. This has never happened to me before with my K2 or Ride Sigma bindings.

Do the snowboard stores sell longer screws and different washers?

Sorry for the length of this, but quick advice would be appreciated ( I am going snowboarding on Saturday again)

Thanks!!!
kaetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think 147 will be fine. C2BTX isn't plain rocker also, it's kind of a hybrid rocker/camber, so it won't feel too loose. But I do notice that camber boards hold an edge a bit easier than hybrid boards... both are way easier than normal rocker boards.
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so much for you quick response.:-)..Do you think the Roxy Envi is a better choice than the Rome Vinyl overall? I might be able to exchange the Roxy for the Vinyl before Saturday....hmmm.. does anyone have experience with either the Envi or the Vinyl?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

WOAH!!! The Forum Star and the Roxy Envi are two VERY different boards. The Star is super soft and good for beginners and it sounds like you have outgrown it. The Envi is a sweet deck, but it's a very stiff, aggressive freeride board. It is very stable at high speeds and on ice, but you'll notice a BIG difference in ride-ability. Does the width at the inserts of the board match the size of your bare foot? If not, you may have a hard time turning the Envi.

The Vinyl is more of an intermediate, all-mountain board. It's fairly soft and forgiving -again, very different from the Envi. I'm not sure I'd put you on the Vinyl either, if you've outgrown the Star.

The C2BTX make take some getting used to, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue. If anything, you'll probably find a C2BTX to be more fun, playful, and stable.

I think you can handle the 147, although it may feel quite a bit bigger than your old board. My biggest concern would be the combination of length and added stiffness. The Envi may be just what you need or it may kick you on your ass.

Perhaps the Eminence is more suitable - still an excellent board, but more freestyle oriented. Also check out the Never Summer Infinity.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks so much for your input lifoot; that is what I thought; no board is really narrow enough ( in the waist) for my little feet. The forum star was the closest to my feet's size, that is why I chose it, and maybe that is why it was so much easier to turn than the really wide Kemper diva ( waist was 24.2 cm). The Roxy was slightly slimmer than all the other boards I saw, including the vinyl, but yeah it is way stiffer and has magnetraction...I really enjoyed my cambered boards and hope that the banana traction will be fun also...

And yes, I think I have outgrown the forum star already, I think; it is super light and easy to maneuver, but doesn't make it fun on the black diamond runs and the icy patches. Even my old Kemper board had better grip than the Forum star...

Anyway, I would really recommend beginners with feet size 6 and under to check this board out though, since it will be so much easier to turn than wider boards of the same length.

The store didn't carry any NS boards, unfortunately, so I think I will just give the Roxy a try; I finally managed to get the screws in ( I had to put one in without the washer first to get the other ones in..a little more work, but not too bad.

Anyway, I will keep you posted on how the Roxy and I handled the slopes of Tahoe.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, if I were board shopping right now and I mostly did runs with a little park, I think I'd look to the Ollie Pop or the Eminence, but the Envi could be a consideration.

I don't think 147 will be a huge issue, I jumped from 138 to 145, and it was an adjustment but not troublesome whatsoever.

Quote:
The store didn't carry any NS boards, unfortunately, so I think I will just give the Roxy a try; I finally managed to get the screws in ( I had to put one in without the washer first to get the other ones in..a little more work, but not too bad.
I would make sure those screws are in deep. Maybe you can find new ones? Ask the people at the board shop I guess... if your binding came loose or undone during a run it could be a catastrophe
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

This can depend on the bindings, sorry I can't say for sure it's your issue, but with both pairs of my Rome bindings there's a rubber gasket underneath each binding to absorb vibration and provide cushioning. The gasket compresses over time, but the first time you mount you have to do it without the washer on one or two screws to really squeeze the binding down tight, then add the washers on the other two screws, then remove the washerless screws, add the washers, and screw back in. After a season this becomes unnecessary. YMMV.

2010 Arbor Element
2010 Rome Targa
2011 NS Evo
2011 Rome 390 Boss
2009 Salomon F22
mwl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all your input guys!!! I really appreciate it! Anyway, the store I went to didn't carry any Ollie pops, and had only one Eminence in size 149, which would have been too long I think. Anyway, I have the Envi now and will test it out tomorrow..let's see how it goes. I will keep you posted!!

P.S. I took the board to the store and they checked my bindings and tightened them a little more for me.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hmm, I thought I had posted earlier, but I cannot see my post anywhere in this thread.

Anyway, I tested out the Roxy yesterday and it was fun, fast and very good in the powder around the trees. I had no problems controlling the board, despite its length and stiffness.

And the magnetraction was beneficial, since the conditions were a little tricky; in the morning the slopes were still icy with a little bit of powder on it, but the Envi did a great job holding its edges.

Anyway, the only problem I had was that the board slowed down a lot toward the end of the day (when slushy and on the flats). I noticed that the base looked very dry already after only one day of riding.

The board's base had dry patches already when I bought it, so the store offered to hot wax it for me..now I wonder if it had been used before I bought it. I know that the place rents demo boards too....or is the slowing down a problem with magnetraction?

I am going up to Kirkwood again next weekend and just quick waxed my board with Dakine afterburner wax, but am not sure if that's sufficient. Should I get another hot wax ( it had just been hot waxed before I rode it the first time) .Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again!