Advice on new board, what's too much?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice on new board, what's too much??

Great forum, great advice, thanks!

I hope I don't sound too ignorant: what do you all mean when you say a 'board kicked your ass'? I'm looking for my next board so here's why I'm asking.

Stats: female rider, 5'4", 120 lbs, women's size 7 boot, beginner to intermediate, 4 or 5 seasons (2 only 1 time out, other 2 multiple trips, say 10-12 days per season including a camp). Riding blues comfortably in Utah, Montana, bro takes me on to blacks but not pretty. Not terrified though! No intention of park/tricks; long term goal to be good enough to go off piste as much as on. Love snowboarding, enough that I live on east coast and travel west every year at least once for snow.

Currently riding a Roxy Ally, 2009, camber with magnetraction. Has been a pretty good board for me, I think, but I'm at the point where I want a new board that will help me progress and also challenge me. I have the feeling after this year that the Ally is babying/pampering me, if that makes sense; also can have a lot of vibration at 'speed' which is not even fast for me.

I'm reading all the great reviews and threads with advice on women's boards on this forum. I'm leaning toward the Never Summer Infinity RC, but wondering if it will be too much for me. For example, one guy talked about it being too much for his wife who I think was around the same level as me (maybe not). I think I want a stiffer board, but I'm not that big so needs to be torsionally responsive. I've also just come across Snowolf's reviews of NS Heritage, and all the great details about fore/aft, subtlety with edges, etc. and wondering whether the NS Infinity might be equally demanding and therefore too 'advanced' for me. On the other hand, it could be good and force me to step up my game a bit. As an aside, I demo'd a Roxy BTX (banana/rocker) back when I got my Ally and didn't really like it. But the RC mix has me interested. Not so interested in K2 EcoPop b/c no camber. From reviews on this forum, Roxy Eminence maybe, Gnu B-Pro sounds too stiff, Gnu B-Nice sounds too 'kind'. Help.

Any advice or suggestions would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi waterdog, I just bought the Roxy Envi C2BTX and tried it out yesterday. It is pretty stiff, and did not chatter when I went fast and handled the powder well too.
I am 5'3'' and 120lbs and got the 147.
kaetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I did a fair amount of research for a female friend about Never Summer's women's line-up and then for a co-worker of mine who ended up buying an Infinity for herself.

Basically you've got 3 solid choices: the softer/more park oriented Pandora, , the stiffer/more aggressive Lotus and the more middle of the range Infinity.

I was mainly investigating the Infinity and I think that it would be a good fit for you. Stiffer than what you're on currently, but not as stiff as the Lotus. It's not going to "baby" you, so you'll become a better rider, but if you're already riding Utah blues, it's not too much board at all. It's the next logical step. The Lotus might be a bit much, but the Infinity should be great.

The feedback I've heard from the ladies (who are about your size) regarding the torsional stiffnees is: no problem at all...love it.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Bones, great feedback, thanks for posting. I'm almost sold. The one thing I've noticed from this forum and talking to a few people is that once they get an NS snowboard, seems they stick to those for life. Pretty big statement.

Kaetz, thanks for info on Roxy Envi. I hadn't looked into that one; definitely sounds like a better choice than the Eminence for my skill/purposes. What were you riding before? Did you demo any others?

Will let you all know what I end up buying. Too bad it's almost May!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I did a fair amount of research for a female friend about Never Summer's women's line-up and then for a co-worker of mine who ended up buying an Infinity for herself.

Basically you've got 3 solid choices: the softer/more park oriented Pandora, , the stiffer/more aggressive Lotus and the more middle of the range Infinity.

I was mainly investigating the Infinity and I think that it would be a good fit for you. Stiffer than what you're on currently, but not as stiff as the Lotus. It's not going to "baby" you, so you'll become a better rider, but if you're already riding Utah blues, it's not too much board at all. It's the next logical step. The Lotus might be a bit much, but the Infinity should be great.

The feedback I've heard from the ladies (who are about your size) regarding the torsional stiffnees is: no problem at all...love it.
+ 1 to this. The Infinity should be just right for you.

The Roxy Envi would be more comparable to the NS Lotus in terms of stiffness. The Roxy Eminence would be closer to the Infinity in terms of stiffness. B-Pro is also stiffer than the Infinity, but probably not quite as stiff and the Envi. You're right that you probably want something more advanced than the B-Nice.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi waterdog, I ride a 145 Infinity. I think I'm probably at roughly the same skill level as you, since I'm really comfy/aggressive on blues and cautious on the easier blacks.

The Infinity is definately not too much board. I think you'll like it a lot. It's quite stable at high speed and is kind of medium flex.
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

I bought my gf both 2012 Roxy Ally 143 with BTX and 2012 Roxy Envi 147 C2BTX so she was able to try them out back to back. The Envi is stiff and very advanced. It just likes to go fast and has lots of pop if you got the power and used to that speed. The Ally was for pressing and messing around. Her main board is actually a '11 Ollie Pop which has C2 and is right in between the two boards mentioned earier and what she is most comfortable with. Infinity, Ollie Pop and even Eminence (stiffer than the Ollie Pop) should all work out fine for you. If you are out west and is ready for those big mountains and steep blacks, then that Envi could be in your future
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote