Sorry - Second Board + Bindings!!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 05:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sorry - Second Board + Bindings!!!

Right,

I'm Currently riding a '11 Skate Banana 56 with '10 Cartels Medium. Absolutely f***ing love them both to pieces. Not sure if this would be a recommended setup but it really works for me.

Next I want something more stable for groomers while allowing for a lot more off-piste / POW action.

The board I am looking at is the NS Premier as a second board, Your thoughts? Any other recommendations for a floaty, speedy, stable, all mountain/powder board? Also some bindings to match or to swap for the Cartels if they are a bit stiff for the SB and should be on the non-park board

Cheers

P.S. Skate Banana is worth all of the hype - you better believe it! (Tried an Evil Twin out the other week, with the exception of being ever so slightly more stable [also a cm longer], not a scratch on the SB in my opinion)
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Glad you like your Skate Banana, but let's not spread unwarranted hype about that board. At least until you try other boards that people put it up against.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Skate Nana. I just don't like when something is hyped by people that have not even demoed several other boards in the same category (freestyle/all-mountain freestyle in this case).

Aside from my rant... I haven't tried the Premier, but I like Never Summer boards. Quality built. Plenty of people have tried it here so they'll probably chime in here.

Since you are obviously comfortable with Lib Tech, consider the T.Rice or if you have money to blow, the Banana Magic. Both are stiff with the T.Rice being a stiffer (same on Lib's scale, but the Magic is definitely softer). Both are real stable responsive.

The Ride HighLife is another great choice. I love this board. You want something stiff? Well, this board is a tank. The rocker shape on this board is great for powder riding. The nose has a medium rise rocker that transitions into a nearly flat camber in the middle and a low rise rocker in the tail. This shape is going to give you a lot of float and keep you nice and stable. Poppy too.

Ride Highlife Snowboard 2011
Old 04-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Don't get me wrong Leo, I'm not trying to spread unwarranted hype just giving credit where credit's due as I have read a few less than positive reviews from folk about the SB and Lib Tech. I think that as soon as a brand becomes well known (i.e. more than 40 people have one) people want to slate it and look are already looking for the next new tiny 'indie' manufacturer to get behind

E.g. F*** Burton......., let's be honest - they do know to some extent what they are doing (Custom X + Cartels that I can speak of). Not, of course, that you need to be told any of this! Just so I don't come across in the wrong way.

Sorry, must have wanted to get that off my chest for a while. Back to boards!

That Highlife is one sexy bastard, I'm thinking 163 (5'11'' and 190 lbs) sound about right for the job?? Can you recommend a few more boards I could check out?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you go with the Highlife, I'd do the 161 at your weight. The board is sick. If I had a lot of pow here I would definitely have one. On groomers, the thing was super responsive and stable.

By the way, the Highlife looks 10x better in person. That's usually the case for Ride boards.

2011 K2 Turbo Dream is also a great choice. It's not as stiff as the Highlife. It's about a mid-stiff board. Similar shape. More rocker in the nose, completely flat in the middle, and low rise rocker in the tail. Has harshmellow which I love. Dampens the ride and makes landings cushy. I own this board. Excellent on groomers and handles very well in multiple conditions. I took it to Tahoe with me and luckily, we had lots of pow when we were there. The TD killed it. I would say the TD is a better groomer board than the Highlife, but less of a performer on powder.

Look into the Never Summer Heritage as well. Snowolf has an excellent review of it in the equipment review section here.

By the way, I feel the same way you do about people dissing brands purely based on how big they are. Especially Burton. All their business antics aside, they have done so much for this sport.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hmmmmmm, as much as I LOVE the powder it's not always a guarantee is it!? I guess I need to work out the most likely use for this board. When there is powder it will be a 80% powder board but when the cupboard is bare (i.e. probably most of the time) it will be on the groomers I guess. Hard to know where to lean.

I think i need to move to Canada or Alaska or something.

When a board is awesome on powder does it lose some deftness on groomers? Is it always the case that you gain in one area and lose in another? In all honesty i can ride my SB in powder - albeit practically sitting on my back foot, so I guess anything which leans more toward POW will be a load easier!

Sounds like maybe the Turbo Dream would be more suited to me if it can tear up the groomers and dabble in powder. I do want a board to be really stable bombing down groomers and cutting through chop and moguls.

Will look at the heritage review now

Thanks - feel free to give any more ideas - will defo take them on-board
Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like the Highlife sucks on groomers. It doesn't. Was just trying to relate it to how the TD handles which in my personal opinion is better on groomers. Mainly because it isn't so stiff.

The Highlife is going to bomb great on groomers and eat through the crud easily. The rocker profile plus setback on both the Highlife and Td just excel in the powder.

The Skate Banana is a centered twin so that is the reason why you have to work your back leg a little even though it's rockered. Plus it's around a mid-soft board.

One thing I will say to look for is a directional twin or even a true directional board. Those are great shapes for both groomers and powder.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

I was wondering whether I might have to do that. Does that mean that switch riding is going to become more difficult?

I ride the SB 24" width 15 -15 dead centre of the board so it is precisely the same switch and regular. I like it like that as it has helped me improve my switch riding no end this season.

Are directional twin boards more nose than tail? I was under the impression that stiffer was better for cutting through chop and on groomers.. I'm obvisously mistaken. What reason would you buy a 10 flex board? So naive!!!! hehe
Old 04-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You're right, generally speaking, a stiffer board is going to hold a really good edge. The problem is handling. The stiffer the board, the harder it will be to control the board. That is why I never recommend stiff boards like the Slayblade, Highlife, or Custom X to beginners.

The thing is, there is so much tech out there now like magnetraction that make rockers and softer boards handle well in chop. Stability is another issue as well. Ride addresses it with Slimewalls and K2 does it with Harshmellow. Then you have the whole carbon stringing and laminates. Blah blah blah.

Torsional flex is another factor in handling. The board can be stiff, but have torsional give causing it to have better edge to edge response. You can have a soft board that has torsional rigidity causing it to handle more stable than other boards of similar flex and specs.

This is the understanding I have of it. There are people here, if you really want to know, that know all the technicalities of this.

Directional twins have the same tip measurements except for the length. More nose than tail because both the stance and sidecut is setback.

True directional boards have different tip measurements. As far as I know, that means the tail is tapered (more narrow). This shape is also setback in both stance and sidecut.

Flex is all over the map. There are true twins with directional flex and directional twins with symmetrical flex. Meaning, some boards have more flex in the nose than tail. Powder specific boards will normally have stiffer tails and softer noses to promote float.

As for switch riding, I can care less. Yea, it's a little easier on true twins. I learned on a true directional. Not that I can ride switch equally well though haha.