Why are there not more Reverse SideCut Board shapes? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

not too mention people don't realize to do it right, it takes like $3k startup.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Ask any company that's made splitboards long haul they'll tell you it has its ups and downs. Nivek nailed it a couple bad deaths and stupid people out there and shit will mellow back out.
I think nothing is more versatile as a recreation than a great form of transport (split with skins) and the best way down in pow or corn, on a board. Snowshoes have their place, but suck to carry down and can be slow and laborious.

East Vail is a madhouse now on the weekends, either all those people are very lucky, or many to most are getting educated. Any path you choose you are mitigating risk, so even doubling, say the Colorado avy deaths, is still not that many.

I saw a Banana Hammock split for sale over on splitboards, too fucking cool. Inside edges too. Reverse sidcut is tempting for my pow exclusive days.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:22 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
not too mention people don't realize to do it right, it takes like $3k startup.
no way, that is @2K over.

me
used Venture splitboard and bindings and crampons 400

Pieps DSP, ebay, @75.00 (brand new summertime snag)

Skins, poles, shovel, probe, pack, ice axe, crampons, first aid, other safty stuff @350-450 tops. Already had most stuff.

Avy 1+2 300

same boots, outerwear.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

An avy 1&2 for $300 available to the mass public? Certainly not aiare...
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
An avy 1&2 for $300 available to the mass public? Certainly not aiare...
I should have said around 300, as I certainly do not remember it might have been each. One was here in Colorado and 2 was in AK, both AIARE courses.

Figuring AVY 1 into the cost is fine, but we are still a long way from 3k.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not really if you do everything right and buy new.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Not really if you do everything right and buy new.
This and even if you do have the right knowledge to safely buy used, that's the exception. Most people don't, so $3k it is.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Pow View Post
There are so many ski manufactures with it across their line (Armada comes to mind with 2) and with rocker+camber it seems to take away from the poor hardpack performance.

Next for snowboards is concave bases stuff+RS+RC/Hybrid camber+ strange puck like contact points?

your thinking of DPS skis and their cleat tech linky, looks kooky but DPS makes nice shit. Them and praxis really dialed in the five point ski design. Not fully reverse sidecut. They have different amounts of sidecut underfoot, with reverse and rockered tips and tails. Very similar to the atomic sirfloats. These design work in more then just new snow, they excel in all soft/variable snow conditions. Where i ride at Bridger Bowl, when you are on top of the ridge and around others who don't mind hiking a little for better runs this is the design you see.

BA says he doesn't care about ski designs, and i agree there are many differences, when you break it down to a physics level they are really the same. Your weight and pressure are applied to different areas of the board or ski, but both have to be transferred to the snow. These new designs are not going to be your go to park deck or are great at railing turns on groomers but that is not the point. As the average age of a snowboarder gets older and less are focused on freestyle there will be a shift in the style of boards being made. New designs like this do not fit into the big factory style of production. On the ski side small companies with low production numbers have developed these designs, which are then adopted by they larger companies, dps lotus = atomic bentchetler, salomon S7... Snowboards have been the same old shape for years and it is due to change.

As for splitboards, yes it will always be a niche but $3k to "do it right" is a joke.
old board -- free
volie diy kit $150
skins $100
old binders free
collapsible poles $10 home made from old ski poles
beacon probe shovel $400 get some good stuff
advanced avy course from Gallatin Vally avy center and MSU $50 + $35 for the beginner class.

$800 total i've put 30 days or so on mine in the last two years with zero issues.

As i get older i find myself looking for jumps less, and looking for good snow and good turns more. Im guessing that im not the only one. Looking for less hype more substance and more new designs.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
your thinking of DPS skis and their cleat tech linky, looks kooky but DPS makes nice shit. Them and praxis really dialed in the five point ski design. Not fully reverse sidecut. They have different amounts of sidecut underfoot, with reverse and rockered tips and tails. Very similar to the atomic sirfloats. These design work in more then just new snow, they excel in all soft/variable snow conditions. Where i ride at Bridger Bowl, when you are on top of the ridge and around others who don't mind hiking a little for better runs this is the design you see.

BA says he doesn't care about ski designs, and i agree there are many differences, when you break it down to a physics level they are really the same. Your weight and pressure are applied to different areas of the board or ski, but both have to be transferred to the snow. These new designs are not going to be your go to park deck or are great at railing turns on groomers but that is not the point. As the average age of a snowboarder gets older and less are focused on freestyle there will be a shift in the style of boards being made. New designs like this do not fit into the big factory style of production. On the ski side small companies with low production numbers have developed these designs, which are then adopted by they larger companies, dps lotus = atomic bentchetler, salomon S7... Snowboards have been the same old shape for years and it is due to change.

As for splitboards, yes it will always be a niche but $3k to "do it right" is a joke.
old board -- free
volie diy kit $150
skins $100
old binders free
collapsible poles $10 home made from old ski poles
beacon probe shovel $400 get some good stuff
advanced avy course from Gallatin Vally avy center and MSU $50 + $35 for the beginner class.

$800 total i've put 30 days or so on mine in the last two years with zero issues.

As i get older i find myself looking for jumps less, and looking for good snow and good turns more. Im guessing that im not the only one. Looking for less hype more substance and more new designs.
the self styled "know it alls" on this board are all hot air.

Thanks, and your last sentence sums up many peoples desires quite nicely.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

dudes are too lazy to even click when they come here. at least I will post some pics for the drool factor.

Last edited by Sick-Pow; 11-09-2011 at 01:35 AM.