Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Am I abnormal? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/3955-am-i-abnormal.html)

TitaniuIVI 02-17-2008 06:42 AM

Am I abnormal?

OK so I'm fairly new to snowboarding, but I'm definatly interested in getting my own setup. I'm 5'6", 140lbs, size 10 boots. My issue is that I can't find a board that fits all those stats. For my height and weight I should be riding something like a 150. Most 150's have a waist of about 24.5, which would leave my boot hanging out. So, most people would say, get a wide. Well, they apparently don't make very many 150 wides (Guess I'm a wierd short guy with big feet.) I only found some cheapo brands that do it, but I want to get a decent setup. What I'm looking to get now are some DC Scout boots (Cause they have BOA, I don't even like tieing my sneakers.) And some Flow bindings (Cause for a couple of extra bucks I get alittle bit more ease.) So that leaves the board. I originally wanted to get a Nitro Target Redline 151, but the waist is 24.6. From doing the math, my shoes would hang over unless I have an extreme stance. You guys have any suggestions on a board that would fit my criteria, or am I just over analyzing this and my size 10 boot would be fine with 24.6 waist. I really don't want to spend $200+ dollars on a board and be disapointed. Thanks in advance.

Angel

FrankDaTank089 02-17-2008 08:47 AM

if you want to move up to a 153, i know they make the forum recon in a wide. i know this because thats exactly what i ride. price wise, its a cheaper board, but performance wise, its awesome.

Mendel 02-17-2008 12:00 PM

Yeah, I'm 5'6'' and 140. I ride a 155.
I bought(with my budget) it 3 years ago when i was like 5'3'' or 4'' and 130, you'll grow into it and if you aren't worried about same board for years then go with it. The only prob with a bigger board on lighter weight is turn initiation becomes a bit harder, but i got used to it and its np.

romesaz 02-17-2008 12:23 PM

at size 10 boot, you don't NEED a wide. So I don't understand why you'd be looking into one.

I'm 11 boot, and ride a 25.4mm waist (midwide).... agles at 21-24/-15
With those angles, I think my next board's gonna be a regular width board, cause I have almost no overhand at the moment, and as MPD said, you want some overhang.

PaoloSmythe 02-17-2008 01:28 PM

your height is irrelevent to determining board length and so that is one less variable to worry yourself about. :D

boot size can result in over hang, but as Romeaz says, size 10 shouldn't give you much bother. even if both your feet were bound at zero degrees.

but if you insist that there is cause for concern, look into a board that has inbuilt risers. or buy some aftermarket risers; these are plates of plastic that go between your binder base and board top sheet, thus giving more room between your boot toe / heel and the floor thus removing foot drag.

with this sorted, you can go get the board of ideal length. easy peasy!

blasphemy 02-17-2008 02:57 PM

my boot size is 12 , and the board's width is 25.5 and i dont get heel and toes drags. get a normal board. my angles are 15 , - 10 . so with boot size 10 even if ur rear foor was angleed to ZERO u wont get ur foot draged.

ODH170 02-17-2008 03:08 PM

You do not need a wide board as said before. I am 5'6" and weigh 150 and have a size 10 boot and ride a 154. You will get a bit of your toe hanging over the edge but as said above that is normal. so i wouldn't worry about it to much