WTF does Damp mean? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default WTF does Damp mean?

In snowboard terms.

Thanks

oh...I don't need Websters definition thanks.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You know how you go really fast through a washboard on your stunt stick and the vibrations go up into your foot? That means a board isn't damp, now you do the same washboard on a NS and don't feel it, yeah that's damp.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
You know how you go really fast through a washboard on your stunt stick and the vibrations go up into your foot? That means a board isn't damp, now you do the same washboard on a NS and don't feel it, yeah that's damp.
more glass, stiffer, flex pattern different, more carbon, more bamboo, thicker top sheet?
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Damp = Never Summer SL.

I was flying on that thing, and I'm a noob. Just think of it like suspension on a bike or car
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

How bout dictionary.com? It's not a typically usage for the word.

Acoustics, Music . to check or retard the action of (a vibrating string); dull; deaden.
Physics . to cause a decrease in amplitude of (successive oscillations or waves).

Basically, if you can hear the nose of the board making a chattering noise when you ride fast over crud, the board is not damp.

Last edited by baldylox; 05-04-2011 at 03:16 PM.
baldylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Im guessing that most your damping characteristics come from your laminate choice, as it is the strongest material in the board. Kevlar or aramid is a polymer (plastic) and is known for its damping and is used along the edges of some boards. Carbon is less damp then glass and is used is areas to increase pop, or in race boards. Neversummer uses multiple layers of laminate which increase the amount of epoxy used, epoxy is also a polymer giving neversummer their well known damp feel. On an engineering / physics side a materials "modulus of resilience" has a lot to do with it. The amount of energy returned after the material has been flexed. The harmonics of the board has to do with the overall density, by volume there is more core then anything else, so it is the dominating factor. Denser woods like birch are used in freeride boards, instead of poplar or aspen.

Many boards are too damp in my opinion. Such as the noodle park board that has a sluggish ollie and feels dead when in a turn. They are very easy to catch that press or butter though because they don't return much energy. Get on a park board with carbon stringers and the ollies and handling are improved, with a decrease in "butterablity" With free ride boards its the same thing too damp and the board feels dead, it'll plow crud, but when you are digging trenches in fresh groomed snow it wont power you out of the end of the turn. I've rode boards with a full carbon top sheet and they carved great but in the chunks its was a bitch of a ride.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Nerd!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
Im guessing that most your damping characteristics come from your laminate choice, as it is the strongest material in the board. Kevlar or aramid is a polymer (plastic) and is known for its damping and is used along the edges of some boards. Carbon is less damp then glass and is used is areas to increase pop, or in race boards. Neversummer uses multiple layers of laminate which increase the amount of epoxy used, epoxy is also a polymer giving neversummer their well known damp feel. On an engineering / physics side a materials "modulus of resilience" has a lot to do with it. The amount of energy returned after the material has been flexed. The harmonics of the board has to do with the overall density, by volume there is more core then anything else, so it is the dominating factor. Denser woods like birch are used in freeride boards, instead of poplar or aspen.

Many boards are too damp in my opinion. Such as the noodle park board that has a sluggish ollie and feels dead when in a turn. They are very easy to catch that press or butter though because they don't return much energy. Get on a park board with carbon stringers and the ollies and handling are improved, with a decrease in "butterablity" With free ride boards its the same thing too damp and the board feels dead, it'll plow crud, but when you are digging trenches in fresh groomed snow it wont power you out of the end of the turn. I've rode boards with a full carbon top sheet and they carved great but in the chunks its was a bitch of a ride.

Someone needs to pay this dude, because the rest of this group knows nothing, zero, zilch..
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Nerd!!!!!!!!!!!
A couple years working in a composites lab will learn you a few things. And I'll ride any board I can get my hands on. I don't like really damp boards,
Old 05-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's all good I'm going to rub sticks together till I create fire.