Big Foot Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Big Foot Board

what up everyone, im having a HARD time finding a freeride board for my big asss feet..
Size 13 shoe us
Fat ass 240lbs
6'1
age 26
colorado
buying board for learning/carving/riding down the mountain " no park "
Newb

I have been reading up for about 5 months now and i have to say, rentals can die in a fire, i want my own board, i have the extra money to spend, so i want to spend it on a new board. Alright, im looking for a more free ride centered board, i will never go to the park on it " im a newb " , i just want something I can learn to link turns on, basically learn on.

Price range $350 max, i might be willing to go to 400 bux, but i still havent got my boots/bindings " thinking about waiting till the new stuff comes out before i purchase" but since i have never been snowboarding before, i would like to keep it around the 300 dollar range..

I have searched through dogfunk/tactics/backcountry, everything is freestyle, pipe, rail , 158cm with a narrow waist. I dont really care about brands, or graphics " ok, i sort of care about graphics" but i just want something semi decent to look @ that will treat me right.

Oh ya, i plan on doing most of my riding in colorado,i dont want the camber design, i want the easier rocker or w/e. I have no experience, i dont know wtf im doing, someone hold mah hand for me..

Thanks for your responses, BURTONAVENGER, i hear ur the man @ this gear stuff, please halp me, after you halp me you are more than welcome to go all burtonavenger on me =D. <3

Last edited by NewbALewb; 05-18-2011 at 09:40 PM.
NewbALewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hmmmm....your size and budget are going to make it hard to buy something right now because stocks are low and you missed some of the better sales. If you were willing to go up into the 400s you would have a little easier time.

However, I found a few good options (some more expensive) with a quick search on evo.com:

161 Lib Tech Skunk Ape - $449
162 GNU Rider Choice Wide - $430
163 or 168 Ride Highlife - $439
162 or 165 Riode Antic wide - $319
160 or 164 Ride Manic Wide - $287

Boards like the Skunk Ape and Highlife are awesome freeride decks, but you have to consider if you want something a little more forgiving since you are a self proclaimed newbie. If I was your size as an experienced rider I would totally buy the Skunk Ape (maybe bigger than 161 though), but that could too much board for a newb.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Actually, the 166 riders choice on dogfunk could be a good buy as well. It's a good price and 166 might actually be the right size for you at 240 pounds. It's described as an all mountain freestyle board, but it's definitely a good board for what you seem to want. I've ridden two different years of this board and IMO it is a great all mountain deck for someone to progress on.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty34 View Post
Actually, the 166 riders choice on dogfunk could be a good buy as well. It's a good price and 166 might actually be the right size for you at 240 pounds. It's described as an all mountain freestyle board, but it's definitely a good board for what you seem to want. I've ridden two different years of this board and IMO it is a great all mountain deck for someone to progress on.
I actually wouldn't recommend the Riders Choice for a rider who has never been on a board before. See if you can find a Carbon Credit Wide BTX...very similar board but a bit softer in flex and definitely more forgiving than the Riders Choice would be. Actually here you go for $279 in a 165:

Gnu Carbon Credit BTX Series Snowboard - Wide from Backcountry.com
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution View Post
I actually wouldn't recommend the Riders Choice for a rider who has never been on a board before. See if you can find a Carbon Credit Wide BTX...very similar board but a bit softer in flex and definitely more forgiving than the Riders Choice would be. Actually here you go for $279 in a 165:

You know what, I agree, I misread his post and didn't realize he's hasn't been on a board yet. I thought he was just doing rentals and now wanted his own board.

Yes, the carbon credit would be a better choice for a first board.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
You know what, I agree, I misread his post and didn't realize he's hasn't been on a board yet. I thought he was just doing rentals and now wanted his own board.

Yes, the carbon credit would be a better choice for a first board.
Thanx for the advice, it should be delivered next week ! Ya, i should have bought a board a few months ago, I was just going to use rentals, seems the more i have read about it the more i find out rentals are garbage and terrible to learn on. Having my own board/boots/binding i think might help me pick it up better. Dont get me wrong, rentals are probably really good to check the sport out, but im attracted to snowboarding like im attracted to females =D, i know i will love it, or should i say i better love it for all the gear ive been picking up lol.

I do not usually blind purchase off of the advice given by people online, but i searched for a couple days looking for the right board. This site has been so helpful over the past 7 months on information, ie- snowwolfs youtube videos, stickies, threads, I feel like im completely set up for this next season.

The only reason i over looked that board is because they only had it available in orange, but since you guy recommended it, its functions>vanity for once =D
Old 05-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution View Post

That thanks ^ is for you as well my friend <3
Old 05-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbALewb View Post
Thanx for the advice, it should be delivered next week ! Ya, i should have bought a board a few months ago, I was just going to use rentals, seems the more i have read about it the more i find out rentals are garbage and terrible to learn on. Having my own board/boots/binding i think might help me pick it up better. Dont get me wrong, rentals are probably really good to check the sport out, but im attracted to snowboarding like im attracted to females =D, i know i will love it, or should i say i better love it for all the gear ive been picking up lol.

I do not usually blind purchase off of the advice given by people online, but i searched for a couple days looking for the right board. This site has been so helpful over the past 7 months on information, ie- snowwolfs youtube videos, stickies, threads, I feel like im completely set up for this next season.

The only reason i over looked that board is because they only had it available in orange, but since you guy recommended it, its functions>vanity for once =D
Did you buy the Riders Choice or the Carbon Credit?

Both would be good so I think you're okay either way. They both have the positives and minuses for you.

RC - better board that the CC. Faster base and will be better once you progress. But, it might be harder to learn on at first. It will be a great board even after you've been riding for a few years.
CC - Easier to learn on, but a cheaper board and might be pretty noodley once you learn to really ride. If you start getting good, chances are you'll want a knew board within a year or two.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you buy the Riders Choice or the Carbon Credit?

Both would be good so I think you're okay either way. They both have the positives and minuses for you.

RC - better board that the CC. Faster base and will be better once you progress. But, it might be harder to learn on at first. It will be a great board even after you've been riding for a few years.
CC - Easier to learn on, but a cheaper board and might be pretty noodley once you learn to really ride. If you start getting good, chances are you'll want a knew board within a year or two.
I bought the carbon credit, I got it from dogfunk. I decided to go with it for the price, and because you recommended it. I just want to learn asap, I plan on going in early december for 5 days snowboard time, hopefully again for a few days+ each month after, but i want to get this down now. Once i get the hang of it im def buying another board, ill keep this one for a back up, or just give it to someone who needs it, but cant afford a board.

OMfg, now all i need are boots and bindings, i think that im going to buy my boots online, if they dont fit right ill just send them back and get another pair. I would buy locally, but f that, better deals online, and if i go into the shop and check out their stuff, i dont want them to get the drift that im checking stuff out there, then going and buying it online. Lol, they might take it as being disrespectful or something.

Thanks again for all the help, you guys/galz make this so much easier, cause i was/am totally lost on what board i wanted. I read on the sticky to get a beginner board, because higher end boards are too aggressive and hinder newb progression. Thanks for helping me make the right choice <3
Old 05-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Dude, don't buy boots blind online. So much hassle. That is the one item I would never buy blind.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote