Arbor Coda - which size? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Arbor Coda - which size?

Looking to buy my first board, and I think I've settled on the Arbor Coda. I live in Chicago, will mainly be at the hard pack/ice hills in Wisconsin, and don't currently plan to spend much,if any, time at the park, but would like that option if I get interested. Essentially looking for do-all, one board quiver. Coda seems to fit the bill.

I'm 6'0" and 190 lbs. Shoe size 10.5.

Been out a few times on rentals, sized 158 and 159. Don't know what they were, other than Burton boards. I had never even heard the terms reverse camber, rocker, banana, rocker-camber hybrid, etc., so don't anything about them other than brand and size.

Which size Coda do I need, 157 or 161? It's like I'm a little stuck between stations, never ridden anything at either size.

Also, any binding recommendations appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
mdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

You could ride a 161 if you can find a 157 that work also but they are really hard to find for this year unless you plan on gettin the 2012 version. If you want the 2011 I think you might be forced to go with the 161. The only reason i know this is cuz a few months ago i was trying to find a 157 and had no luck. I think the 161 would fit you well specially sense it is reverse camber it will probably ride a little shorter anyway.
kramer213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Fellow Chicagoan here. Ironically, I never rode when I lived out there. I have the Coda in a 157 as my do everything board. I'm 165 lbs. The 157 is probably enough for the Midwest. It will be more playful and better in the park. However, if you plan on making trips out west, you should get the 161.
L3mnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses. Finding the 157 online is impossible. There are 161s to be had.

Rome 390s for bindings?
Old 05-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have 09/10 390s on my Coda and I think it's a good match flex wise. It's comfy too. This year's Boss model should be even better. You'll be stoked on this set up!
L3mnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think is your are still progressing the 57 would be good. It's easier to move around and rOcker boards ride smaller.

161 is great if you bombing the grooms for stability and speed.

Perhaps inventory will make te decision for you.
w0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

How about a westmark? You can find it 159 and that bridges the two sizes for you. Not sure it fits your riding style I just got one but am waiting for next season unfortunately
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would shoot for the 57 if you're not expecting deep snow. A 59 westmark is a good compromise. I bombed on it on a -40 degree day in a jib size and felt plenty stable. Super good board. Super stable, playful, and snappy.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Nivek how does it flatland? Or would I have to keep it on edge? My only experience with a good board is the SL and that thing was a dream when it came to stability. I know the westmark is rockered so I was just curious, I think I've read it's pretty stable for a full rocker. Dear god it's going to be a long summer

Eh fuck it, I'll find out soon enough
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Isn't the Westmark more of a "park" board, although I understand that those labels are very flexible and sometimes meaningless? If we're introducing that possibility into the equation, my local Burton store has a Restricted Easy Livin Flying V at 158 and a great price. The rep at the store was really high on the board as a good board to grow with and into on the local hills.

My preference is toward Arbor as an overall brand, but wanted to get any thoughts on the Big B option.