Petite women need intermediate Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

female Petite women need intermediate Board

Hi. I have been riding Burton lux 136 for 3 years and need upgrade in board to step up in level.

About Me
Height: 4 11”
Weight : 108lbs
Boots: 5
Level: intermediate
Home mountain: Vermont Area
Freeriding: 90 %, Park : 10%
(I just started to go play in the Park this season)

What I need is a board that can go fast to keep up with others and wanna stability when I go fast. Current board is not stable when I go fast. Also, I need good edge hold ( I live in east coast) and turn initiation. I love to do tree and just started park but most of my time will be spend in regular terrain. I travel a lot to west coast too so I want it to be able to handle powder somehow.

Since I am short, I think I can only go up to 141 or so which I don’t have much of choice in board.
Here is what I come up with but any advice or suggestion will be really appreciated it. Thanks

1. Ride Promise 141
2. Ride OMG 140
3. K2 Fling 142 (might be too long..)
4. Salomon Ivy 143 (might be pushing it ??)
womenpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

for something fast with good edge hold i'd say go for something long and stiff with a traditional camber you could always just move yr bindings back in deeper snow. or you could get a board with a rocker/hybrid camber that way you can get away with a shorter length and float in pow but you will sacrifice some stability and edge hold with that. altho i have heard some good things with some of the boards with edge technologies on reverse camber/rocker/hybrid boards like btx...but in all honesty you won't know until you've tried it for yourself and see if you're comfortable with the performance. some ppl love it some ppl hate it. if you have a strong lower body and can really pump in and out of turns i think you will be fine with a longer stiffer board. i am about 5ft1, same size feet and same weight, i ride a 142 and altho it takes me everywhere on the mtn it's not so awesome in deeper snow. i hope this somehow helped and didn't confuse you even more lol
kittyripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenpg View Post
Hi. I have been riding Burton lux 136 for 3 years and need upgrade in board to step up in level.

About Me
Height: 4 11”
Weight : 108lbs
Boots: 5
Level: intermediate
Home mountain: Vermont Area
Freeriding: 90 %, Park : 10%
(I just started to go play in the Park this season)

What I need is a board that can go fast to keep up with others and wanna stability when I go fast. Current board is not stable when I go fast. Also, I need good edge hold ( I live in east coast) and turn initiation. I love to do tree and just started park but most of my time will be spend in regular terrain. I travel a lot to west coast too so I want it to be able to handle powder somehow.

Since I am short, I think I can only go up to 141 or so which I don’t have much of choice in board.
Here is what I come up with but any advice or suggestion will be really appreciated it. Thanks

1. Ride Promise 141
2. Ride OMG 140
3. K2 Fling 142 (might be too long..)
4. Salomon Ivy 143 (might be pushing it ??)
If you are 90% freeride, i don't think 143 is too long at all. Since you are on the east coast, I'm surprised you have not listed any boards with MTX. I know people can do camber + powder, but trust me when I tell you a hybrid or reverse camber board will be much much easier in powder.
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

It's tbh East Coast, we don't get any powder Ok, we had one sick pow day this seasson, the last weekend of February. Mount Snow got dumped, like 15" in one day

Anyway, I have ridden my 10/11 Evo 151 (R+C) camber all over Vermont including Killington's double blacks and I was able to bomb down the steepest pistes they have (Superstar @ Killington is one of my favorite trails).

I would say check out the Never Summer Pandora or Infinity. The Infinity is probably the equivalent of the SL for Men's. However, you can look at the Lotus too, which is basically all mountain freeride. The Pandora is much more park but will do you fine, IMO.

Also, check out GNU/LibTech/Roxy boards with BTX and Banana Traction as people have been mentionting. Banana Traction is godsend on that EC Hardpack ... but I think R+C is enough grip. I have a ton of fun on my Evo
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a similar problem with my oldest daughter, 16, she is way past beginner stage but is super petite. 4'11 as well 98lbs. Let me know what you end up getting and what you think. My daughter dosn't do any park (as she usually rides with me) so I am leaning towards a Never Summer Lotus for her but the smallest is a 146.
Triplany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends6spd View Post
If you are 90% freeride, i don't think 143 is too long at all. Since you are on the east coast, I'm surprised you have not listed any boards with MTX. I know people can do camber + powder, but trust me when I tell you a hybrid or reverse camber board will be much much easier in powder.
The OP didn't say there's powder on east coast, she mentioned
"I travel a lot to west coast too so I want it to be able to handle powder somehow."
Old 05-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you very much for reply. I really appreciated your help.

I have just looked into Never Summer but Infinity and lotus does not have my size. They only make from 145/145cm which are too big for me. Pandora has 141 but it seems like more of freestyle board and it is not stable in speed according to many review which is not what I am looking for….Lib Tech doesn’t have my size…

My friend have Gnu B-street BTX has 141 and my friend owe one but she told me it is more of park board and having hard time holding edge in icy condition and rough on powder.

I also looked at Roxy Ollie Pop 141 but it is more like beginner’s board according to many review. Other Roxy board are too big.

My biggest problem is size. Since I am small I only have limited choice…
I do need longer board in order to have speed and stability but I do a lots of tree run as well
so I don’t really want to go that long.

So it comes down to these 3 ( I am eliminating Salomon Ivy 143..)
1. Ride Promise 141(Rocker)
2. Ride OMG 140(Flat)
3. K2 Fling 142 (Flat)

I pretty much looked at all the review out there in online world and can’t decide which one is best for me.
Which feature should I looked into in order to choose between these 3 boards?
Any suggestion will be helpful!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenpg View Post
Thank you very much for reply. I really appreciated your help.

I have just looked into Never Summer but Infinity and lotus does not have my size. They only make from 145/145cm which are too big for me. Pandora has 141 but it seems like more of freestyle board and it is not stable in speed according to many review which is not what I am looking for….Lib Tech doesn’t have my size…

My friend have Gnu B-street BTX has 141 and my friend owe one but she told me it is more of park board and having hard time holding edge in icy condition and rough on powder.

I also looked at Roxy Ollie Pop 141 but it is more like beginner’s board according to many review. Other Roxy board are too big.

My biggest problem is size. Since I am small I only have limited choice…
I do need longer board in order to have speed and stability but I do a lots of tree run as well
so I don’t really want to go that long.

So it comes down to these 3 ( I am eliminating Salomon Ivy 143..)
1. Ride Promise 141(Rocker)
2. Ride OMG 140(Flat)
3. K2 Fling 142 (Flat)

I pretty much looked at all the review out there in online world and can’t decide which one is best for me.
Which feature should I looked into in order to choose between these 3 boards?
Any suggestion will be helpful!!!
you are wrong about the ollie pop. you can say that for 2010 and earlier board when it was just BTX but once they put in C2 BTX on that board last year it is not a beginner's board anymore.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

legends6spd, you are so right. I checked the review of 2010/2011 and looks really great!!!
So Now I am more towards Roxy Ollie Pop C2BTX. It costs more but it seems like great in freeriding as well as park.

Do you guys think Roxy Ollie POP C2BTX would be better choice for me than K2 or Ride?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I am almost exactly your size. I tend to prefer boards between 140 and 143 cm. For freeriding, you could easily ride something as long as 145 cm if you wanted, which means the Never Summer Infinity 145 would be an excellent choice for you. Personally, I love my Never Summer Pandora 140: great edge control, easy to turn, and is a smooth, damp ride (considering that it's a park board).

The Ollie Pop is a great board, but if you want an upgrade from the Lux, consider the Eminence instead. It's a bit more aggressive and more high end, but still has the C2BTX.

I hear great things about the Fling and the OMG, but I doubt either would match BTX or Vario Grip (Never Summer) in edge control.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote