Board size help and suggestions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board size help and suggestions

My first season was this one that just passed, I went upwards of 20+ times and progressed quite rapidly. I am able to do black diamonds and go through medium terrain parks and medium boarder cross runs. I like to ride more freestyle, making anything into a jump that I can. Although, my friends are more of free riders so I still try to keep up with them. Dont care to be first, just not lag too far behind. I am 6'3" in height, boot size of 13 US and I weight 170 pounds, trying to get back up to 180 pounds.

I currently have a Burton Bullet 161W. I bought it when I weighed 190 pounds, but feel I will outgrow it quick as it is not a board best suited for me. (Additionally, my boards is stamped "Second")

I was thinking of getting a board size around 159W. Is that a good size for all around riding for me? Any suggestions?

The boards I was considering are:

Never Summer Legacy - 159W
Lib Tech - Dark Series - 158W or 161W
GNU - Rider's Choice - 158W
(If you noticed these are all Rocker - Camber - Rocker boards)

Any other suggestions for boards? Additionally, would anyone suggest getting a pure rocker board, if so please tell me benefits you see from pure rocker compared to R-C-R boards?

Thank you for reading through this post and for any suggestion and advice you can give!
Jbutter06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member

I wouldn't get a pure rocker snowboard. They're usually less stable at higher speeds, have less pop and are not that great for bigger jumps.

158-159ish is about the right size for you for all mountain riding. Remember a lot of this is personal preference so go demo a few boards in that size range and see how you feel to make sure.

As for other snowboards, I'd throw in the K2 Darkstar in there as an excellent board that will kill it in the park but will also be awesome for riding with your freeride friends.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

All good boards listed there so you can't go wrong. However, it depends on the style you want.

I would say that the Legacy and Rider's Choice are a little more "all-round" type of boards that have a little more flex than the Dark Series. The Dark series is a little stiffer freeride board...closer the the Heritage in the Never Summer line. Also, the DS is a directional board so not as good if you ride a lot of switch, but better for carving. I've ridden the dark series and played with both the Dark and Legacy at a shop, and the legacy is definitely more flexy.

When you say freestyle, are you talking about just hitting natural jumps on the mountain and also hitting some kickers in the park? Are you planning on doing boxes, rails and butters? If you are mostly into jumping, then you are probably more like me, and I tend to like stiffer boards. I loved jumping with the dark series.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

When I say freestyle I like hitting natural jumps and park jumps, anywhere I see one really. Last season was my first, but I went upwards of 20+ times, so I haven't done rail and boxes yet, but definitely am going to next season.

So the dark series is now eliminated because it is a directional board and i need to be able to land and ride switch, eventually. =D
Old 05-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You can still ride switch on a directional board.Your stance will be set back a bit but to take off or land switch it would be fine.Can even cruise that way.It just means it isn't a centred park specific stance.So as far as jumps and natural features do a directional board is fine, even the occasional box or rail.
Sudden_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for the tips and advice.

I looked in on the K2 Darkstar and the flatline tech doesn't seem to promising for me and reviews were either for or against it, nothing in the middle. As for a directional board, id rather just not have to worry about it all together =P
So im pretty set on the Gnu - Rider's Choice or Never Summer - Legacy.

I would still appreciate any other suggestion anyone can give. Also, where is a good place to look for snowboard at an inexpensive price.

P.S. I live in CA so the snowboarding season is over for another few months so I can't really test anything out.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbutter06 View Post
Thank you for the tips and advice.

I looked in on the K2 Darkstar and the flatline tech doesn't seem to promising for me and reviews were either for or against it, nothing in the middle. As for a directional board, id rather just not have to worry about it all together =P
So im pretty set on the Gnu - Rider's Choice or Never Summer - Legacy.

I would still appreciate any other suggestion anyone can give. Also, where is a good place to look for snowboard at an inexpensive price.

P.S. I live in CA so the snowboarding season is over for another few months so I can't really test anything out.
The Legacy is set back as well so it isn't a true twin either.That really shouldn't be too big a concern as if you are just jumping and freeriding then having a board that isn't a true twin will make little difference.The only time you might want to be totally centred is jibbing or riding pipe and if you aren't doing those the inch or two of set back will barely be noticed, except on a good day in a good way when you do happen to get to ride powder.
Sudden_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member

Honestly hybrid cambers are much riskier than zero cambers in my opinion. Companies are still tweaking their hybrids every year where as flatline just means no camber, it's rides nearly the same as a regular camber board.

I love the darkstar, but if you're set on those two boards then I'd go the never summer. It's a really great board all round.

As everyone else already said, a little set back is fine. You probably won't even notice it.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

The K2 Darkstar, although cheaper in price, the faltline tech doesn't appeal to me that much. Also, I guess being set back dosent change much, thank you for clearing that up.

I'm still stuck on the NS -Legacy or GNU- Rider's Choice. Any other boards anyone would suggest?