I am that newbie who got the vapor (with a reason), so please advise.. - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Hey Filmer did I see that right or is that dude smoking a methpipe in your avatar

You should have bought the Rome (any Rome) if you ask me. There are deals to be had all over the internet and if you ask me, Burton makes a board just like any other high end company, only with a more painful pricetag. I think you will be fine on it but you could have spent less money (even after 50%off) and been just as happy, maybe even happier. Good luck and have fun riding! Still a few months left in the season so get out there.
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 12:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Right View Post
Hey Filmer did I see that right or is that dude smoking a methpipe in your avatar

You should have bought the Rome (any Rome) if you ask me. There are deals to be had all over the internet and if you ask me, Burton makes a board just like any other high end company, only with a more painful pricetag. I think you will be fine on it but you could have spent less money (even after 50%off) and been just as happy, maybe even happier. Good luck and have fun riding! Still a few months left in the season so get out there.

See, what a lot of people don't realize is that prices in Canada are outrageous.
Plus it's rare to find boards localy at such a good price. You may think 600 is a lot for a board, vapor or not, but that is the cost that usually a Forum Youngblood retails at. And Romes only start at about 650, from what I've seen.
If he really wanted to get a few more riding days in this season, it was probably a good choice as he'd have to wait till the beginning of october before he could find any similar deals.
This was kind of a "once in a lifetime".
And as he said, the Rome was sold while he was having a smoke.

As I've said, I agree it may be a bit much, but in my opinion, it will help him progress quicker, especially after he takes a coupla falls, and realizes that he was to over compensate for the stiffness of the board. The problem with softer/beginner boards, is that we (I'm a beginner as well) get too used to having a forgiving ride. When we step onto a more advanced board, we're thrown around.
If he can begin his learning on a stiff board, anything afterwards will only seem like a piece of cake.

I'm not attacking your point of view Mr. Right, it's just a lot of people don't realize the prices north of you guys
oh, and if you're gonna say "buy from internet", a lot of the sites only ship with UPS across the boarder, and that means if you're buying a $300 board, you're also going to pay UPS another 200 in duties, before taxes and delivery and whatever else.
romesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by romesaz View Post
See, what a lot of people don't realize is that prices in Canada are outrageous.
Plus it's rare to find boards localy at such a good price. You may think 600 is a lot for a board, vapor or not, but that is the cost that usually a Forum Youngblood retails at. And Romes only start at about 650, from what I've seen.
If he really wanted to get a few more riding days in this season, it was probably a good choice as he'd have to wait till the beginning of october before he could find any similar deals.
This was kind of a "once in a lifetime".
And as he said, the Rome was sold while he was having a smoke.

As I've said, I agree it may be a bit much, but in my opinion, it will help him progress quicker, especially after he takes a coupla falls, and realizes that he was to over compensate for the stiffness of the board. The problem with softer/beginner boards, is that we (I'm a beginner as well) get too used to having a forgiving ride. When we step onto a more advanced board, we're thrown around.
If he can begin his learning on a stiff board, anything afterwards will only seem like a piece of cake.

I'm not attacking your point of view Mr. Right, it's just a lot of people don't realize the prices north of you guys
oh, and if you're gonna say "buy from internet", a lot of the sites only ship with UPS across the boarder, and that means if you're buying a $300 board, you're also going to pay UPS another 200 in duties, before taxes and delivery and whatever else.

Aaaaah, this I did not realize. So that board was a lot more slammin of a deal than it would be even 50% off in the US....Now it's clickin for me. I wasn't trying to knock him, I just thought there could be a better deal to be had.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
FilmerD

Quote:
Haha, I don't even know. Probably. That's 8 Ball from 8 Ball & MJG, I personally thought the pic was pretty sick for an avatar.

I still don't know how I feel about the Vapor. I mean my first board was a Palmer with the Honeycomb core tech. I got a board that retailed for around $750 for about $350. It's essentially the same board as a Vapor. I can honestly say I had some of my worst days ever on that board, simply because it was so stiff and entirely not designed for what I wanted to do (I wanted a board I could do everything on, not just a race board). I could definitely handle it now that I've got a few more years of experience under my belt, but I would still hate to ride it.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by FilmerD; 02-19-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Aaaaah, this I did not realize. So that board was a lot more slammin of a deal than it would be even 50% off in the US....Now it's clickin for me. I wasn't trying to knock him, I just thought there could be a better deal to be had.
haha no worries, and I completely agree, in some cases, you can hit a jackpot in a sense, but this case itself was a jackpot. The best deals you'll find near Toronto, would be at the ski/board show in October, but those would be last years models, and he'd be even hard pressed to find the same board for less than 800-900 (still about a 25%-35% savings).
I think I'll be buying my next board/bindings somewhere in the states. Cause even physically bringing the equip over the boarder and declaring it, would still be much cheaper than buying at a store locally.

It's kind of funny when I see a post in the SAC thread saying "150 for a jacket...thats still so expensive". Here in canada, 150 for a good board jacket would be 60-75% saving
Old 02-19-2008, 12:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Quote:
haha no worries, and I completely agree, in some cases, you can hit a jackpot in a sense, but this case itself was a jackpot. The best deals you'll find near Toronto, would be at the ski/board show in October, but those would be last years models, and he'd be even hard pressed to find the same board for less than 800-900 (still about a 25%-35% savings).
I think I'll be buying my next board/bindings somewhere in the states. Cause even physically bringing the equip over the boarder and declaring it, would still be much cheaper than buying at a store locally.

It's kind of funny when I see a post in the SAC thread saying "150 for a jacket...thats still so expensive". Here in canada, 150 for a good board jacket would be 60-75% saving
I feel like buying a bunch of loot and cruising up there to hook you guys up this summer. That is kind of harsh to pay that much for your gear. Now is that in Can currency because last I checked your money was worth more than ours lol.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I feel like buying a bunch of loot and cruising up there to hook you guys up this summer. That is kind of harsh to pay that much for your gear. Now is that in Can currency because last I checked your money was worth more than ours lol.
I want to say "fortunately yes" since your dollar's back up over ours again.
Now I don't want to speak for the west coast with my messages, but the prices that I've mentioned is what I've seen with my own eyes. I don't know if the guys over in the Rockies have a better time with prices. It could be artificial inflation here in Toronto, since there's a lot of rich kids for whom parents will buy anything/everything, so the stores take advantage of that, but its what I use as a bench mark:
My equipment: Forum Youngblood (06/07), Flow Amp9 (also 06/07 I believe), and Northwave Legend SL2(07/08s MAYBE, not sure) = total cost of about $800 CAN after taxes. Everything bought brand new THIS season.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Quote:
I want to say "fortunately yes" since your dollar's back up over ours again.
Now I don't want to speak for the west coast with my messages, but the prices that I've mentioned is what I've seen with my own eyes. I don't know if the guys over in the Rockies have a better time with prices. It could be artificial inflation here in Toronto, since there's a lot of rich kids for whom parents will buy anything/everything, so the stores take advantage of that, but its what I use as a bench mark:
My equipment: Forum Youngblood (06/07), Flow Amp9 (also 06/07 I believe), and Northwave Legend SL2(07/08s MAYBE, not sure) = total cost of about $800 CAN after taxes. Everything bought brand new THIS season.
I know about artificial inflation for sure, America invented it lol.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Snowblower

Quote:
This is why I purchased my bindings and board from the US over the internet. Even after the customs/shipping charges, they are still a lot less than if I paid for them right here in Canada.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:34 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblower View Post
This is why I purchased my bindings and board from the US over the internet. Even after the customs/shipping charges, they are still a lot less than if I paid for them right here in Canada.
Where did you order from? I've mostly only seen UPS shipping, which in most cases, is more hassle than a money savings.