I am that newbie who got the vapor (with a reason), so please advise.. - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 01:43 AM   #21 (permalink)
Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by romesaz View Post
Where did you order from? I've mostly only seen UPS shipping, which in most cases, is more hassle than a money savings.
Well, I got the bindings from a reputable eBay vendor, who sent it USPS. The board I just ordered (not shipped yet) and I expect that will come by UPS.

For what it's worth, I have always had bad experience with UPS in the past, but lately when ordering snowboarding outerwear or what-not, they've caused no troubles at all. It helps that I live in downtown Vancouver, though.. and I can always have UPS place the items in the nearest depot shop (walking distance) rather than go all the way to the airport to pick them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #22 (permalink)

^ for the metro vancouver folks, you can also ship your gear to blaine or point roberts in washington, drive down less than an hour to the border, and pay a small fee to pick it up.

usually online stores offer free ups shipping within US and when you come across the border you just gotta pay GST/PST.

pac hwy border patrol are usually quite lenient.. between me and my bf we've brought back ~$200 worth of goods bought online and they've let us through w/o paying taxes.
litebrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebrite View Post
^ for the metro vancouver folks, you can also ship your gear to blaine or point roberts in washington, drive down less than an hour to the border, and pay a small fee to pick it up.

usually online stores offer free ups shipping within US and when you come across the border you just gotta pay GST/PST.

pac hwy border patrol are usually quite lenient.. between me and my bf we've brought back ~$200 worth of goods bought online and they've let us through w/o paying taxes.
Nice tip. I'll keep that in mind, but don't you need a PO box number or something to ship it to an US address?
Old 02-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
wayshie

Default Thanks for all the feedback

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I think I am going to give this board a try and see how I feel.

Just out of curiosity, if you were me, would you sell the vapor and buy a custom for essentially the same price?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
SnowSpyke

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmerD View Post
Wait, wait, wait, you got a VAPOR after riding just once? I'd sell it and get a Custom, it's a much more versatile board and is a little more forgiving than the Vapor. I think you might find you're gonna get thrown around on that board a whole lot until you learn how to link turns and everything.
My point excactly! I would have gone boarding for a couple of times see if you still like it, and than consider whether you would prefer to go freeriding or go to the park and do al that freestyle shit. I've been riding for over 15 years now (I'm 31) and since 2 years I own two boards, a 2001 Burton Rippey 158 (for the trick shit and the slopes) and a 2006 Burton Ducati 162, derived from the Custom (for the slopes and freeriding, I'm just 5'6").

But since you've already bought the Vapor and you would like to have some advice, I would sell the Vapor and buy a Custom or something similar. Although I think the Vapor for 600 CAN$ is a good deal, but not for a beginner, I think you're better off with a Custom. Keeping the Vapor is like having a Porsche when the speed limit is only 100 km/h. Also take your weight, lenght and shoe size in consideration before you buy your 'second' board.

Goodluck
Old 02-21-2008, 02:00 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romesaz View Post
See, what a lot of people don't realize is that prices in Canada are outrageous.
Plus it's rare to find boards localy at such a good price. You may think 600 is a lot for a board, vapor or not, but that is the cost that usually a Forum Youngblood retails at. And Romes only start at about 650, from what I've seen.
Damn, that's harsh, man. I just picked up a Forum Youngblood at a Zumies for 140 USD a month ago, and looking at the possible boards I could have picked up if I waited till now, I still felt like I coulda gotten a better board cheaper...
llcooljunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayshie View Post
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I think I am going to give this board a try and see how I feel.

Just out of curiosity, if you were me, would you sell the vapor and buy a custom for essentially the same price?

Thanks!
Keep it, ride it, enjoy it.
Steeper learning curve, but at least no hassle. there's no point really in going through a bunch of crap just so you can get a worse board for the same price.
Just go out and ride it. You'll get used to the stiffness, and won't worry.
Judging from your initial post, you won't be venturing into the park anyways.
romesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #28 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayshie View Post

Thanks!
Dude, if you're going to Blue this weekend on Sunday shoot me a PM... Would you mind if I tried out the vapor for a run or two? You can ride my Nitro MFM in the mean time, and see how you feel/notice a more flexible board.

haha, reading romeaz's posts show me that he's just as frustrated with canadian pricing as I am. It IS possible to get deals online, but you have to be very diligent....

I did get hosed on my Nitro Board though; I paid about $450 (taxes in) at boardzone for it, and it retails for $449 US on every major site... it was $600+ taxes here, so I feel like I got a deal... THEN yesterday they had the bugger on whiskeymilitia for $250!!! thank god it wasnt the wide version, or I wouldda lost it.

romeaz, if you were after some more gear, let me know, cuz I'm going to the east coast meet next week, and I can grab u some stuff if you like. For instance, when I went to Killington in december, I bought a pair of Burton Cartels for $220, taxes and conversion rate in!... this time I got a set of Rome 390's for $160 USD, shipped to one of the members here, and he's gonna bring them to the meet...

yeah I hate paying more for stuff than i have to.

Kris
Toronto Prelude Club
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$han View Post
Dude, if you're going to Blue this weekend on Sunday shoot me a PM... Would you mind if I tried out the vapor for a run or two? You can ride my Nitro MFM in the mean time, and see how you feel/notice a more flexible board.

haha, reading romeaz's posts show me that he's just as frustrated with canadian pricing as I am. It IS possible to get deals online, but you have to be very diligent....

I did get hosed on my Nitro Board though; I paid about $450 (taxes in) at boardzone for it, and it retails for $449 US on every major site... it was $600+ taxes here, so I feel like I got a deal... THEN yesterday they had the bugger on whiskeymilitia for $250!!! thank god it wasnt the wide version, or I wouldda lost it.

romeaz, if you were after some more gear, let me know, cuz I'm going to the east coast meet next week, and I can grab u some stuff if you like. For instance, when I went to Killington in december, I bought a pair of Burton Cartels for $220, taxes and conversion rate in!... this time I got a set of Rome 390's for $160 USD, shipped to one of the members here, and he's gonna bring them to the meet...

yeah I hate paying more for stuff than i have to.
Hahah, don't tempt me dude. Though I appreciate the offer. I've got everything that I need right now, and don't have any reasonable excuse for a second board/pair of bindings. I'm just looking for another jacket and pants, but I'll pick that up once winners starts carrying winter gear again or sometime later and the end of this season. (Although I don't really need them, but I MAY be making a trip to powdery West Coast next winter, and would require more waterproofing).

I'd love to come to the meet though, but money and time don't permit it unfortunately . It's impossible for me to take time off from work, and the money needs to be saved for car payments, and school next year.

With regards to wayshie's vapor: I MAY be at Blue as well on sunday, and if you want to try what a much more flexible board feels like, you can give my 06/07 Youngblood a shot as well with Flows.
romesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

^ I actually thought the vapor was the uber stiff one with the CF weave in it.... i just wanted to see how a stiff & light board feels, but I'm open to trying out the youngblood I wanna get a park board next year, most likely a Rome Machine at the ski/snowboard show, but it all depends on availability (haha, yeah, Im gonna have to go on the first day...lol)

lmk

Kris
Toronto Prelude Club
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote