Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   I am that newbie who got the vapor (with a reason), so please advise.. (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/3982-i-am-newbie-who-got-vapor.html)

wayshie 02-17-2008 10:10 PM

I am that newbie who got the vapor (with a reason), so please advise..

Hi guys, need some help, went snowboarding the first in my life (31) yesterday, took a lesson and liked it. As a result, I decided to get my won gear and start going more ofen.

Went to the shop today, and told them that I wanted to get something long term (so I am not buying every 2 years). From my limited reading on this forum, I knew that the boots are very important so I focused on that first, the shop that I went to had a close out sale so everything was 50% off. The guy from the shop was very helpful and fitted me with some really nice thirty two boots (very light and comfortable), and I decided to go with the Burton custom bindings as he told me it was a good binding for beginners.

When it comes to board selection, because of their close out sale, they had pretty much nothing left in my size, I had a choice between a Burton vapor and a Rome (don't remember the exact name). When I went to check out another store downtown before I made up my mind (was going to go with the Rome), they had sold it. As a result, I got the vapor as my first board after trying snowboarding once.

My real question now is that I know the vapor is not a good board for beginners, however, will I be able to learn on it at all? or will I just be miserable with it? My main goal is just having fun with recreational snowboarding, but I do want to enjoy it. I got a really good deal on the vapor with the sale (less then 600 CDN). The only problem is that the store with the close out sale don't have anything else in my size left. However, if I have to, I will sell it and get a Custom (although in Toronto, the price of a custom with some discounts isn't much cheaper then the price of my vapor)...

Please let me know your thoughts, any input is much appreciated! Thanks!

Phenom 02-17-2008 10:17 PM

Are you a big guy? How big is the vapor you got? You're 31 so I'm going to assume you didn't buy a board so you can grow into it in 3 years haha, so there's a good start. However, if it's on the long side, it may be tough to learn with. The binding are good for beginners so that's a plus, but you're gonna want to swap those out for something more adjustable and more responsive in a year or two. Right now you have crappy 6 inch wide michelin tires on a ferrari. Also, ask any shop to detune your tip and tail. Burtons come real sharp and without a base edge bevel from the factory. This also makes learning more difficult. Overall I think it's possible, enjoy your new setup

Snowblower 02-17-2008 10:36 PM

I sort of know how the OP feels, being 31 and just getting into boarding now (I've lived in Ontario my whole life, though, just got to BC this past summer). To be honest, you may have jumped the gun a *tad* early, because you've only gone boarding once. I'm sure you had fun, but exactly what kind of boarding were you able to do, exactly? I mean... did you just pick it up instinctively, or (like me) did you need to be taught not to do things like lean on your back leg? I liked it form the start, too, but my first time wasn't that mindblowing. I made sure to have rental equipment and lessons for at least 5 sessions this season (used four so far). Now, I may have been uber conservative in this before buying my own stuff, but still...

Also, you could have looked for boards online, too. The deals in Canadian shops are still horribly expensive compared to in the states, due to Canadian distributors being arseholes. I just bought an Endeavor Live board, and it cost me 320 USD, and even with the customs fees, it's still going to be MUCH less than the 480 the stores in Vancouver were charging AT A DISCOUNT for it.

I'm not going to slam you for buying such an expensive board so early on. I'm a newbie myself, so it's all relative. But I would just caution you that with a bit more patience and diligence, you could have certainly found something more suitable AND much less expensive. All the same, I hope you have a blast with that board, and that you gain the skills to use it to its fullest! :)

SUPERGILDO 02-17-2008 10:41 PM

even on a deal I wouldnt expect the vapor to be worth so much to a beginner, but the good news is that I think you can definately learn on it and use it for probably quite a while.

next time dont jump on something just because one shop is having a sale!

Netstalker 02-17-2008 10:47 PM

I am a beginner aswell(32yrs), and have only been out a few times but bought a board, binding and boots today because I was sick of renting. Honestly wearing rental boots really grosses me out :p

Mind you I didn't buy a vapor, I got a K2 AfterBlack, some Ride Beta UL bindings and a pair of ThirtyTwo Lashers. It was all 50% off mind you. less then $400 CDN for the set up. I completely understand your desire to have your own gear and not rent.

wayshie 02-18-2008 12:36 AM

Thanks guys, your comments are definitely encouraging. I know I jumped the gun a little bit, it was just hard to resist when guys in 2 shops (not just the one I bought from) told me that I could learn on this board, and the price went from $1250 (although no one pays full retail) down to 580. While the other shop I went to today had the custom for 499... thought it made sense for $100 more.

The size I bought was 159, and I am about 5 7' 200 lbs. I will ask my shop tomorrow about the detune as well, thanks very much for the tip.

I definitely needed the lessons, and probably a few more, I am still trying to get the hang of it and therefore being able to learn on this board is very important. I was told that this board is not too stiff to learn on, it is just very fast... not sure what it means in real life so I am hoping to find out next weekend if weather is good. I am just hoping it's not so fast that I can't even react on a beginners hill.

Thanks again, and please feel free to leave any other opinion.

SUPERGILDO 02-18-2008 12:38 AM

to be quite honest, i think as long as you have a board to ride it will be fine/good to learn on.

romesaz 02-18-2008 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayshie (Post 36299)
Thanks guys, your comments are definitely encouraging. I know I jumped the gun a little bit, it was just hard to resist when guys in 2 shops (not just the one I bought from) told me that I could learn on this board, and the price went from $1250 (although no one pays full retail) down to 580. While the other shop I went to today had the custom for 499... thought it made sense for $100 more.

The size I bought was 159, and I am about 5 7' 200 lbs. I will ask my shop tomorrow about the detune as well, thanks very much for the tip.

I definitely needed the lessons, and probably a few more, I am still trying to get the hang of it and therefore being able to learn on this board is very important. I was told that this board is not too stiff to learn on, it is just very fast... not sure what it means in real life so I am hoping to find out next weekend if weather is good. I am just hoping it's not so fast that I can't even react on a beginners hill.

Thanks again, and please feel free to leave any other opinion.

First...how the HELL did you find a 50% off on a vapor in toronto!?
Was it Boardsports at Yonge/Eg? I guess their parking lot sales is worth looking into?

At your weight, the board's a LIL short, BUT.... since it's stiffer than any entry board, you shouldn't really have a problem learning on it I think.
It'll definitely be a bit harder than an entry level, but think it'll help you progress quicker too.

Oh, and next weekend, 23rd, burton's doing a demo day at Blue apparently. YOu can try the custom you almost bought ;)

wayshie 02-18-2008 07:52 AM

Thanks man.. I bought this at board zone at Yonge and Steeles, they have a massive sale going on now, but barely anything left. Every board is at least 50% off and they just happen to have one vapor left in 159. They have clothing on sale for a really good prices as well, picked up a special blend jacket reatil $370 for $129, again, selections are limited, but if you can find what you need, then it is a steal.

FilmerD 02-18-2008 01:40 PM

Wait, wait, wait, you got a VAPOR after riding just once? I'd sell it and get a Custom, it's a much more versatile board and is a little more forgiving than the Vapor. I think you might find you're gonna get thrown around on that board a whole lot until you learn how to link turns and everything.