How does the Proto CT compare to the Skate Banana? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How does the Proto CT compare to the Skate Banana?

Alright,

Am still trying to choose my 3rd (but 2nd really) snowboard. I am torn between the Heritage and the Proto CT. Like, completely don't know which way to go. Originally wanted something, where my SB was a bit soft, for bombing runs and for POW but had a go on the Evo the oter day and totally loved it. On the slopes I can be found on powder or trying to freestyle the way down (180s and 360s) and the occasional inclination to flat out bomb down. Go to the domes often to practice so that to bear in mind too.

What does it sound like I need next?

Sorry to always piss-arse about with these questions

Thanks a lot as always guys
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

If you tried the Evo and liked it, why not get the Evo? I ride mine all over though I'm sure on the black/double pistes, the Proto-CT would prove superior. I'm sure the Proto-CT would be better off 30+ foot kickers, too. It will be more expensive than the Evo, I think I saw the list price was like 539 or something, whereas the Evo is 489 (USD).

The Heritage is much more big mountain oriented and would excel at mega booters and big gaps. I would definitely would not want it for tecnical jibbing, especially indoor parks. The Proto-CT would be a lot better here even if it wouldn't be quite as good as the Evo.

I've never ridden a SB, just Gnu Park Pickle. I found the Park Pickle to be comprable to my Capita Horrorscoe, though I prefered the flatkick over Gnu BTX camber. Between the two you are looking at, I'd definitely suggest the Proto CT over the Heritage. It can bomb, maybe not as good as the Heritage (or even SL) and will actually be fun @ indoor park.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

+1 on the proto over the heritage from what you said. If you like the evo, stay away from the heritage, its the complete opposite (obviously).

I had the heritage last season and preordered the proto for this season after trying it out for a week. I was able to go shorter (157) and have the same effective edge as my 160 heritage because of its shape.
The board is incredibly light and you can really throw it around as opposed to the heritage and what I loved was the ability to take the board all over the mountain without feeling like it was lacking in any one area.

I would try out the proto and heritage before buying though. Too many people end up with a board thats not right for them because they don't try it out first.
ecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Completely different rides.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Completely different rides.
This.

IMHO, sounds like the SL is your ticket. If you love the pow, I'm just not too sure on those blunted boards for deep pow. Maybe I'm off on that, but it just seems to me that they're not going to float as well.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
This.

IMHO, sounds like the SL is your ticket. If you love the pow, I'm just not too sure on those blunted boards for deep pow. Maybe I'm off on that, but it just seems to me that they're not going to float as well.
I had no problems riding the Blacklist in late season pow. It's somewhat blunted. You still get the same surface area under you to get float, and the SL is still rocker. The most dramatic effect blunt does is it changes the ollie, gives more of a "platter" to push off of by pushing the contact points out.

My suggestion? Arbor Coda, Westmark, or Blacklist. Three of the best ride-everything boards I have ever been on (in order from stiffest to softest). The Angry Snowboarder has reviews of all three. The Westmark didn't change and he has a review of the 2011 and I reviewed the 2012. The Coda is only the 2011 review but the board didn't change, it didn't need too. The Blacklist is a 2012 Debut, so yeah.

NS's have the "capability" of losing snap after say 50 days on mountain because of there build process. That's not a quality knock from me, its just the way it is. For most thats close to 3 seasons so it's ends up not mattering. Personally I get that many days in 1 season though...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I had no problems riding the Blacklist in late season pow. It's somewhat blunted. You still get the same surface area under you to get float, and the SL is still rocker. The most dramatic effect blunt does is it changes the ollie, gives more of a "platter" to push off of by pushing the contact points out.

My suggestion? Arbor Coda, Westmark, or Blacklist. Three of the best ride-everything boards I have ever been on (in order from stiffest to softest). The Angry Snowboarder has reviews of all three. The Westmark didn't change and he has a review of the 2011 and I reviewed the 2012. The Coda is only the 2011 review but the board didn't change, it didn't need too. The Blacklist is a 2012 Debut, so yeah.

NS's have the "capability" of losing snap after say 50 days on mountain because of there build process. That's not a quality knock from me, its just the way it is. For most thats close to 3 seasons so it's ends up not mattering. Personally I get that many days in 1 season though...
Duellly Noted. I will make a trip to the Dome (this weekend probably) and try out the Arbor boards before I go ape on my account!

With regard to the Never Summers. I Think that the problem Is I need more than one. I do love trying tricks and freestyling about it's just that I also go with other boarders who tend to just charge everywhere and I don't like feeling unstable on the SB at high speeds. I do really like it for everything else, just had never tried a board as soft as the Evo before. And it was fun!!! I think what I want to know is is the proto going to render my SB obsolete by just replacing all of the things I could do on it? Obviously the heritage is stiffer directional etc etc and the Evo is a noodle so they won't affect me riding the SB, but are the stiffness and flex of the Proto and SB similar? Can you charge on a proto with more stability than the SB ?

Thanks again
Old 06-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Evo definitely isn't a noodle. You can charge on an Evo with a lot more stability than a SB.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
The Evo definitely isn't a noodle. You can charge on an Evo with a lot more stability than a SB.
I have proven this - I got off the chairlift and headed down a kinda chunked up section heading to the park. As I was riding down, there was some parkrat on a SB slip-sliding down the chunky shit while I charged right past him. Done this on numerous occasions actually (too bad I still suck at park).
Old 06-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboMaster View Post
I have proven this - I got off the chairlift and headed down a kinda chunked up section heading to the park. As I was riding down, there was some parkrat on a SB slip-sliding down the chunky shit while I charged right past him. Done this on numerous occasions actually (too bad I still suck at park).
I'm not doubting your intellectual authority here but are you sure it wasn't just a noob on the SB? I can't see how the SB holds up less well than the Evo bombing on crud when the SB is rated 5 flex....? I can't check now but isn't the Evo less?