2012 Never Summer Evo or 2012 Bataleon Evil Twin - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2012 Never Summer Evo or 2012 Bataleon Evil Twin

I've heard great things about both of these boards and I just can't pick one! I'm wondering if you people could help me. The tech in both of them seem great. I want the ET for how catch-free it is, but I don't know if it would hold up well here on the Ice Coast. The Never Summer seems to be better for ice because of the VarioGrip Tech, but I don't know if it is as catch-free, or has as much pop as a fully cambered board. I'm 95% park 5% cruising, and in the park I'm 50/50 on jumps and jibbing. I currently own a '08 Burton Blunt. Flex wise, how do these boards compare? Also, can you help me pick a size? I am 5 foot 11, 137 lbs, and size 9 boot.Thanks!
ABagofButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

hey man, i havent tried the evo, but i have owned last years SL. i currently own a 2011 batazion (basically an evil twin w/sintered base).

both NS's RC design and bataleons TBT achieve the same things, just in different manners. both can be catch free, poppy, etc but i feel it depends on where you place most of your emphasis. for example tbt is most catch free at the edges by the tip and tail while the RC is most catch free in between ur feet.

because of this, i really think it comes down to personal preference. i know thats not what you like to hear, but i do think its true. i think both boards will be great for your style, but whether you'll like TBT over RC will be up to you.

also, let me say that while i was impressed with the skatey feel of the RC, i did not like it on edge, and much prefer regular cambers edge hold. i am from boston, i know nothing but ice. ill take the grip of a positive camber over vario grip on a RC board any day, but id say its more because its what im most comfortable on. this was the reason why i sold my SL and stuck with my bataleon. and the bataleon on ice holds just fine.

theres so many new techs out there that i wanna try, but i narrowed mine down to RC, C2, TBT, and FK Freeride. its annoying when you really cant tell what youd like best by reading about it, you have to actually try it. and most of the times that means buying first and hope you get the one you like, unless you can demo.

...so to make things simpler for you i say, GET BOTH!
songa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by songa View Post
both NS's RC design and bataleons TBT achieve the same things, just in different manners. both can be catch free, poppy, etc but i feel it depends on where you place most of your emphasis. for example tbt is most catch free at the edges by the tip and tail while the RC is most catch free in between ur feet.
Thanks so much!!!
Is being catch-free at the tips better than in between your feet for landings or does it not make a difference?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

RC and TBT are not as similar as he is making them out to be. They feel very very different.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
RC and TBT are not as similar as he is making them out to be. They feel very very different.
Which do you prefer for park riding?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I like rocker or dead flat. Camber usually just takes too much energy to play around on.

But, the Bataleon Whatever is in my top park board for 2012.

I like Bataleon enough that if the opportunity presented itself I would feel completely fine riding TBT for my only board.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I got an evil twin and its definetly a fantastic board. I have it as a 154, but rides similar to a 152 due to the blunted tips. Bit of a squirelly ride but the overall feel of the board is very reactive and clean under your feet. It doesn't intend to wash out in rough terrain (un-like a POS Skate Banana), VERY LIGHT WEIGHT. Feels like a popsicle stick. Further on, it is poppy but its tough to get a really clean and straight ollie, but spins are VERY VERY reliable due to the edge of the angle from the triple base tech. Since it is a little stiffer than a jib board it is gonna take some meaty legs to get a solid press out of it. I love jibbing but never understood why pressing would be fun to do so I never would have a problem with a stiffer board. Overall... heres a pro con list

Pros:
-very quick edge to edge
-catch free
-Feels very clean to ride
-rides pow great

Cons:
-squirely
-tough to press
-base dries out (due to extruded base...doesnt hold a lotta wax)

2011 edit thingy. Peep it, there are backflips. http://vimeo.com/28588117
xxfinnellxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd sugest the Evo even though I have an ET but not a Evo.

If you are on the east coast and want to ride on hardpack or ice the NS variogrip will do wonders compared to TBT. The biggest problem I have with my ET is riding in powder amd holding wax. A fresh wax will last me only a couple of hours and the true twin shape is AWFUL in powder.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyface View Post
I'd sugest the Evo even though I have an ET but not a Evo.

If you are on the east coast and want to ride on hardpack or ice the NS variogrip will do wonders compared to TBT. The biggest problem I have with my ET is riding in powder amd holding wax. A fresh wax will last me only a couple of hours and the true twin shape is AWFUL in powder.
Aside from the comment on vario grip, I'm not sure why the evo is recommended. The 2012 ET has a sintered base instead of the synthduded base of the 2011 which should mean better wax absorption. And both the Evo and ET are true twins which renders the powder comment moot. Regardless, riding on ice sucks but there is no singular solution that works better than another to such a degree that would define a board purchase...your own riding skill is an overriding factor.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The eve has R.C. Camber which will make it better in powder even though it is twin. Also having wavy edges makes a huge difference in hard conditions. I have a lib TRs with MTX that i take with me every time i go to the mountain in case it is icy or the snow hardens. The difference between the mtx and tbt on ice is night and day.

I love my ET, but i would not like to have it as my only board riding on the ice coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimster716 View Post
Aside from the comment on vario grip, I'm not sure why the evo is recommended. The 2012 ET has a sintered base instead of the synthduded base of the 2011 which should mean better wax absorption. And both the Evo and ET are true twins which renders the powder comment moot. Regardless, riding on ice sucks but there is no singular solution that works better than another to such a degree that would define a board purchase...your own riding skill is an overriding factor.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote