All mountain board help for big feet - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default All mountain board help for big feet

Snow season is just starting up in Aus and I have a few questions about my current board choices.
I've got a sz 14 boot 6'5" and around 120kg
Last season (my first) I rode a flow infinite 168 and also my mates custom 167w from time to time.
Both these boards/boats were fun going fast but felt a little to big and maneuvering while going slow wasn't that easy.
This year I wanted to try a shorter board and picked up a capita quiver 161 in last years sales, I'm now thinking that 260mm is going to be a little skinny for my boots.

The two options I'm looking at sub $400 are '11 GNU CCS 162w and '11 K2 Raygun 164w
My bindings are boss 390's and I'm looking for a board that will do a bit of everything although Im not that keen on park.

Also looking at REI they have the GNU as a sintered base but I have seen it as extruded on other sites can someone confirm this.
Fatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The 162w CC has a 26.7 waist. Honestly, .7 won't make a huge difference. That Capita board you have is basically a wide model. I'm not familiar with Capita boards, but I'd hazard a guess that they don't have wide sizes. It's probably like the Lib Tech T.Rice. The bigger sizes are their wide models. 26.0cm is the standard wide width.

The Carbon Credit is a really good board for the price. I wasn't expecting that board to ride the way it did. Mid-flex (will be mid-stiff in wider sizes) and decent pop. The Magnetraction does its job and is great if you ride a lot of ice/hardpack. If you find it too grabby, you can just go over the edges with an edge tool.

The CC is definitely extruded so REI has it wrong. The Raygun is extruded as well.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that, is 161/162 going to be a bit small for someone my size?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Normally I would say yes. However, you rode a bigger size and disliked it so it sounds like you have a good idea on what you would like.

These weight to board size recommendations are mainly to point beginners in the right direction. Once you get experience under your belt, you'll have a better idea of what you are looking for.

One thing I advise against is sizing down/up purely for flex reasons. Just get another board in the flex range you are looking for.

You sound like you just don't like how a long board handles so I would size down too.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the help!
Phil
Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Although I agree with Leo that using your weight to determine length ss just a general guide, I would say that a 161/162 CC or Raygun is pretty small for 6'5 120kg...260lbs if you're speaking my language

Keep in mind that last year was your first so many boards will feel tough to turn. My concern with the 161/162 CC or Raygun for a guy your size might be too loose and unstable becaue neither are a very stiff board and your extra weight on the small board will make it even flexier. For example, I think the custom is definitely stiffer than the CC or Raygun, so at a smaller size, they will feel much softer. It could totally be what you are looking for, but I'm just giving you something to consider.

Also, although 7mm isn't much, 260 is crazy narrow for size 14. My board has a 260 waist and I feel like I barely make it work with size 12 boots. There are other factors (i.e. boot profile and binding angles), but I'd be concerned about size 14 on a 260.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well my current board has a 260 waist and I have not had any issues, as it happens I bought a few boards and will see which one works best:
GNU CCS 162w
Rossig Angus 162MW
K2 Raygun 164W

I will be keeping my flow so I will always have a longish board I have found it pretty stiff (being my first season I am not sure if that opinion is correct or not)
I rode my mates crew 160w and that was pretty unstable, definitely got drag on that. I also have a stunt 162w but I found that really sluggish to react and will get rid of that this season.
I will have a look into a custom as I think I have a few conversion plates lying around. Is there anything similar by another brand as I find Burton a little on the pricey side.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have done some thinking and the flex on the boards above I think will be an issue, what is the next progression in flex on the boards above?
The highlife or k2 TD look like good candidates but dont come in a 165-166 which I'm looking for. Maybe the 163/164 respectively could be enough with the added stiffness.

Last edited by Fatkat; 06-17-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatkat View Post
I have done some thinking and the flex on the boards above I think will be an issue, what is the next progression in flex on the boards above?
The highlife or k2 TD look like good candidates but dont come in a 165-166 which I'm looking for. Maybe the 163/164 respectively could be enough with the added stiffness.
Both the highlife and the TD would be good choices.

For a step up in flex for the CC, you could go with a GNU Riders Choice wide or a lib tech skunk ape which is built for big dudes.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah I nearly bought a skunk ape first but couldn't live with the graphics I found a highlife and turbo dream cheap on geartrade so I'll give them a shot I have the luxury of being able to sell boards more than I buy them in Aus. Thanks heaps for the help if I don't find something I like out of this bunch then I have no hope.