First Board! DC PBJ or Burton Custom? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Board! DC PBJ, Burton Custom or Gnu Carbon Credit?

G'day

Buying my first board this season after visiting a resort in Australia for 2 days last year and im hooked! Figured i got 2 trips planned already this season so it will be cheaper to just buy my own gear and not have to worry about rentals. Height is 6'2, 95kg and size 13 boots.

At the moment my skill level is beginner, can turn, stop etc and make it to the bottom without crashing on beginner runs. I found it more fun playing around doing 180s on ground, riding switch, small ollies etc and really keen to learn jumps and 180s then progressing from there such as boxes. If i can, find some drops aswell. I would also like to be able to do some more difficult runs/carving down at moderate to fast speed following my mates but not going ballistic speeds as i didn't really find as fun. So really not sure if it's one style or another i want to do.

Been looking at mainly two boards for quite awhile now, the Burton Custom in 162w or the DC PBJ 159w. Thinking the DC is more what i want but will it still be able to handle alright carving at speed. I'm pretty confused and thinking to much as to what i want, having been once and still needing a board to learn and progress on. Any opinions or recommendations on any other boards that might suit what i need better? I also have started looking at the Forum Holy Moly aswell, don't know many besides these.

Thanks for your time and help

Ben

Last edited by old_mate; 06-20-2011 at 10:43 AM.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You're looking at two very different boards here. The PBJ is pretty much a noodle. It's basically a jib stick.

Between the two, I'd definitely steer you toward the Custom. No matter what direction you go with your riding, it'll be able to handle most anything at least decently. It'll be a good all around stick to have until you figure out what you like doing and then if need be you can pick up something more specialized. Realize though that what you think you'll be into as a rider may or may not hold true as you progress.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, it definitely makes sense as i quickly learnt when i first tired it. If i do decide to go the custom, does 162w sound around the right size for height and weight. Also is it worth trying to find a flying v model in this length as its proving to be alot harder than just the custom. Cheers
Old 06-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

The Custom is the defacto all-mtn board and I currently ride it's clone the Sierra Reverse Crew. It's an excellent board for learning on as you can bomb down runs, hit jumps and small park features without issue, hence the all mountain classification I guess The Flying V is better though as it has hybrid rock/cam

The only thing lacking on the Custom is that it is not all that playful, sure you can still butter and hit rails, but it's a lot harder than if you had a more park-orientated board. Being from Aus you don't really need a solid all-mtn board and can easily get away with either a more park-orientated board or by downsizing on all-mtn board. I assume you're ordering online which means it can be difficult to find some of the smaller brands. I've found GNU/lib-tech gear is easy to find at a good price online and I just bought a GNU riders choice in 151.5 when I normally ride a 155 which should still give me fairly solid performance but also a bit more flex and playfulness.

Binding choice also effects your ride a lot. A good mid-firm flexing binding like the Rome 390 is going to ride completely different to the softer Union Contacts.
alternatevista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

id recommend the pbj
its more of a forgiving fun board and if your newer to the sport you'd enjoy it much more than the stiffer custom.
myschims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Why these two?

Neither is my answer...

Look at the Flow Era, Forum Destoyer Doubledog, or a K2 Parkstar.

All good price and will handle whatever terrain you end up liking most.

All come in wide. Shoot for 158's-162's

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Cheers, found a Gnu Carbon Credit in 162w or 165w, anyone know much about these? What size would you recommend?

Last edited by old_mate; 06-20-2011 at 10:39 AM.