Help Me Pick a Board For My Girlfriend!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Erod

Default Help Me Pick a Board For My Girlfriend!!

so, my girlfriend's birthday is coming up here, and we'll be going to colorado for spring break, so i figured now would be a good time to upgrade her deck, since last time we went she expressed dislike for her Ride Solace. her boots and bindings are fine for now. Her skill level is on the low end of intermediate, and she never rides park, just groomers and steeps when she's with me

I would like to get her a board that is faster on the flats (so has a sintered base), and is very easy to turn edge to edge on steeper stuff.

Her other big complaint was lack of traction on the icy stuff (she was envious of my gnu with magnetraction) so i was looking at the b-pro for its magnetraction properties, but magnetraction isn't a must.

Stats:
5'2" 110 lbs (not sure on sizing, right now she has a 146 but i'm open to female suggestions on sizing)

So far i've seen the aforementioned
Gnu B-Pro
Rome Blue - looks like a nice board and i like Rome's
Arbor Push - because it looks sweet and i've had good experiences with Arbor

Anyone with advice on girls boards help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Danimal!!!!!!

Location: Frederick, MD in other words to far from the big mountains

Why don't you just tell her on her birthday or take her on her birthday to a shop so she can pick out what she wants? I did that with a guitar for my ex girlfriend. Just because it's not wrapped up all pretty doesn't mean anything. That way she'll get exactly what she is lookingn for and you have the input of shop people to help her make the right choice.
Dcp584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Erod

that'd probably be a good call, i just don't know if i'll get a chance to take her to a shop around her birthday. there are no snowboard shops in Santa Barbara, so if i did that it'd probably have to be on the mountain after her birthday, which is risky. if i can get some feedback here i'll buy it online, if not i'll fall back on plan B.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Danimal!!!!!!

Ok wait... when is her birthday and how old are you? Because if your like 17 and still in highschool and her birthday falls on a weekday my train of thought probably will be a little hard for you to pull off.

Last edited by Dcp584; 02-18-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Erod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcp584 View Post
Ok wait... when is her birthday and how old are you? Because if your like 17 and still in highschool and her birthday falls on a weekday my train of thought probably will be a little hard for you to pull off.
i'm 21 in college and her birthday is march 13th. spring break is the week after that
Old 02-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Danimal!!!!!!

Ok well then if you can wing it make a day out of her birthday. Take her somewhere that has a shop in the area that carries what you are looking for whether it be Rome, Arbor, Gnu what ever product your looking for more specifically.(If you are having trouble finding shops with what you want try looking through the manufactuer dealer locator most MFG web sites have them.) Call around looking for those shops and then research the area a little and find something she'll like to do what ever it is a nice restaurant, an event of some sort that she'll be interested in. I don't know your girlfriend so I can make to any accurate suggestions, but you work stopping in the shop part of the day some how. Call the shop and give them her info and see what they have there and see if they can hold or order something in or whatever. I would also try and drive to the shop before you go on her birthday that way you don't look like a doofus if you can find it.

Last edited by Dcp584; 02-18-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
BoarderChick

i have the rome blue and i absolutely love it. it is exactly what you are looking for (other than the mtx). its got a superfast base, is reasonably stiff (not too stiff to hit the park though, but you said she doesnt), and holds up really well at speed.

i live in new england so i ride a lot of ice on the thing and it holds up fine, but obviously not as well as magnetraction would.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcp584 View Post
Why don't you just tell her on her birthday or take her on her birthday to a shop so she can pick out what she wants? I did that with a guitar for my ex girlfriend. Just because it's not wrapped up all pretty doesn't mean anything. That way she'll get exactly what she is lookingn for and you have the input of shop people to help her make the right choice.
i agree that it would be best to do that if timing works out for you ...

or give her a hint/preview/whatever that you are getting her a new board on her birthday, but you want to give her the choice to choose ... as tacky as it sounds ... may be a miniature snowboard in a small gift box?

from the list that you have ... i personally like the arbor push the best (in terms of graphics) but i have heard good stuff bout gnu brand (for east coast ice)
Old 02-19-2008, 03:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
edmontonsara

I think 146 might be too long.... 141 might be better, at 110 and 5'2 it might be easier for her to control. Im 5'8 and ride a 147.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Resident poet

If you're going to a fancy place in CO, just and demo and then she can pick one that she has tried. The daughter, advanced, is about #125, and 5'3" rides a 155.