New board advice? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking New board advice?

Sadly, its about time I start shopping for all new gear, and I'm looking for some input from riders who know their shit. My current setup is:

1999 Burton Rippey
2004 Burton Driver boots
2004 Burton P1HD bindings

I absolutely loved my setup when it was new, and still do, but I broke the toe strap on the bindings and even Burton rider services couldn't locate a replacement one for me. So I need new bindings first and foremost. I was thinking of buying these: (Restricted Cartel Binding | Burton Snowboards) It seems like they are pretty highly recommended.

As far as a new board goes, I'm not a big fan of Burton's binding mounting system, the linear thing, but I am a fan of their gear, so could I use these Cartel's on a Burton board? Or would I have to buy the EST's for that?

What other boards should I consider? I've been told Never Summer and Lib Tech are good ones to look at. I don't ride park, mostly just bombin the steep stuff and searching for powder stashes and smoke shacks! I do ride some backcountry and after I get some avalanche classes in, I plan to do more of that.

So yeah, there it is. Let me know what you all think! Any advice is appreciated, but if you're a poser or from Texas, please do me a favor and don't respond. You know who you are.
chrismjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Alright, the majority of burtons boards these days use the EST system so if you would like to remain a burton junkie you would have to buy the board and EST bindings, if you're willing to steer away from burton I can help out as well and you can save some money for the same/better quality.. if you get a non channel burton board (that requires EST bindings) i'd recommend the rome 390 bindings they're one of the best bindings out there, more customizable and you can't really tell their on you than the cartels, and if you get est id get the regular burton cartel est bindings.. as for your board if you ride mainly back country the burton fish is a pretty good board but thats for strict back country board it's not very good for anything else, at least I don't think, but a good all around mountain board that can be used any where on the mountain would be the custom flying v board due to its hybrid camber i'm not too familiar with burton boards but im pretty sure the flying v is a good all mountain. others can help more with burton

as for non burton, never summer is probably the best company for all mountain look at the proto ct and the evo, theres so many boards hard to think of, you you ride groomers or back country or what
Steez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steez View Post
Alright, the majority of burtons boards these days use the EST system so if you would like to remain a burton junkie you would have to buy the board and EST bindings, if you're willing to steer away from burton I can help out as well and you can save some money for the same/better quality.. if you get a non channel burton board (that requires EST bindings) i'd recommend the rome 390 bindings they're one of the best bindings out there, more customizable and you can't really tell their on you than the cartels, and if you get est id get the regular burton cartel est bindings.. as for your board if you ride mainly back country the burton fish is a pretty good board but thats for strict back country board it's not very good for anything else, at least I don't think, but a good all around mountain board that can be used any where on the mountain would be the custom flying v board due to its hybrid camber i'm not too familiar with burton boards but im pretty sure the flying v is a good all mountain. others can help more with burton

as for non burton, never summer is probably the best company for all mountain look at the proto ct and the evo, theres so many boards hard to think of, you you ride groomers or back country or what
Groomers, hike-accessed areas, some more backcountry coming soon... I've been looking at Never Summer boards, I think I like them, but I wish I could demo one first, I mean its a bit of cash to pick up a new board...
Old 07-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steez View Post
Alright, the majority of burtons boards these days use the EST system so if you would like to remain a burton junkie you would have to buy the board and EST bindings,

not trying to be a dick, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Chris, 'traditional' burton bindings work on ics(what burton calls their channel mounting system) boards, as do many other companies bindings(flux, flow, union, etc) you just have to have the proper disc. aka- you don't have to buy est bindings. You could use those cartels you mentioned on any burton board with 3d or ics.

edit: what are you stats--- boot size, weight, a preference for a length of board, heigth

Last edited by idshred; 07-07-2011 at 10:35 PM.
idshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

hmm ur right i hadnt heard of the converter disks for the channel system :S so i guess you can do both, using the converter disks for the channel system now that i see it is much better because if you decide to go back to the standard system you can use the bindings, sorry for the mistake :/
Old 07-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismjx View Post
Groomers, hike-accessed areas, some more backcountry coming soon... I've been looking at Never Summer boards, I think I like them, but I wish I could demo one first, I mean its a bit of cash to pick up a new board...
ok don't even look at the fish then, you may be interested in the burton Custom X, i've read in numerous places it's amazing for everything (groomers, backcountry[pow], park)so i've heard, although I haven't had a chance to ride it, i would lovvee to haha.. it has a directional shape which is good for all mountain and seeing as you don't ride park you don't need a twin board, so you'll get more speed and control over your carves.. the never summer boards are similar but if you look under equipment reviews look at the reviews leo did on the NS evo and proto ct he did a pretty good job on covering both, much better than I could do because he rode them alot :P
Old 07-08-2011, 01:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idshred View Post
not trying to be a dick, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Chris, 'traditional' burton bindings work on ics(what burton calls their channel mounting system) boards, as do many other companies bindings(flux, flow, union, etc) you just have to have the proper disc. aka- you don't have to buy est bindings. You could use those cartels you mentioned on any burton board with 3d or ics.

edit: what are you stats--- boot size, weight, a preference for a length of board, heigth
Boot Size: 10
Weight: 170lbs
Pref. for Board Length: 158cm+
Height: 5'10"

Thanks for the good word on the binding compatibility! Any other advice as far as boards go? The Custom flying V squeezebox sounds like my ideal deck...wondering if anyone has any experience to contribute?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismjx View Post
Boot Size: 10
Weight: 170lbs
Pref. for Board Length: 158cm+
Height: 5'10"

Thanks for the good word on the binding compatibility! Any other advice as far as boards go? The Custom flying V squeezebox sounds like my ideal deck...wondering if anyone has any experience to contribute?
I haven't ridden that board just heard good things about it, it;s a good all mountain board and I'm pretty sure it has the hybrid camber which allows you to ride pow and groomers nicely.. with a size 10 boot i wouldn't get a wide board but that's your decision board length is up to you, since you don't ride park you have a lot of freedom with longer boards so your preferred board length is good