New Board on a Budget - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Swoogles

Default New Board on a Budget

Hi everyone (first time poster),
I do not have much experience snowboarding, I have only gone a few times, but now I go to a college in NC and plan on going a lot more frequently. I know that I will stick with this sport so I want to get my own board, bindings, boots. Like I said, I haven't ridden much, but I have been wakeboarding for years so this is coming pretty easily to me. I guess I'm looking for an all-around board, even though I will be going to parks and jumping a decent bit. I don't know if it matters, but I do not plan on hitting many rails with the board. I would like to get a solid board that I can use for around 3 years or more and that will not hold me back too much. Now for my "stats".

First and foremost, my budget. Right now I plan on spending around $400 for the setup. I can possibly spend a little bit more, but not much. So just let me know if this is an unreasonable amount to expect to get a decent board with.

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 205
Shoe Size: 12.5 (Should I go 12 for boots and let them loosen up?)

Also, should I just get the board/bindings online and then get boots from the store? Ideally I would try on in the store then find them online I suppose.

***Update***
Ok, so I've been looking around and dogfunk seems to have some deals that would suit me well, let me know what you guys think...

Board
Preferably I could get this board:
K2 Select Snowboard - Wide - Free Shipping! from Dogfunk.com
It appears to be a very good deal.
2 other options are:
Burton Bullet Snowboard - Free Shipping! from Dogfunk.com
and
K2 Illusion Snowboard - Wide - Free Shipping! from Dogfunk.com

Keep in mind money is an issue, so if the difference would hardly be noticeable, I'd like to stick with the first choice.

Bindings
Right now it's between:
Burton Freestyle Snowboard Binding - Free Shipping! from Dogfunk.com
and
Rome Arsenal Snowboard Binding - Free Shipping! from Dogfunk.com

Once again, I'd prefer the cheaper Burton's but I may end up going with a size 13 boot (still have to get to a store and try some on) and the Rome bindings are listed as L/XL instead of just L, would that make them more accommodating to a potentially size 13 boot?

Last edited by Swoogles; 02-18-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Found prospects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Metalhead505

You need a board that is wide and is about sized 162-168. You can get your board and bindings online but always get your boots at a dealer and try them on! But imo I like to get everything at a dealer. I think if you want a great all-around board that will lat you 3-5 years you should spend around $500-$650 or more on a setup. Try looking online on dealerships and research a bit, than ask some more questions!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Swoogles

Alright, Let's say I find a way to manage a $500 budget. What brand should I be looking into fro the respective parts?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

I'd say start with this 08 Forum Recon Snowboard 161 - eBay (item 320218899459 end time Feb-21-08 10:47:23 PST)

and go from there. Hop on it though, this guys stuff has been going pretty fast. Bindings....Ride LX Ride Snowboards 07/08 or the Ride EX Ride Snowboards 07/08 will leave you plenty of money for boots, or boots and a less expensive jacket etc. There are a ton of deals to be found right now as the season is nearing an end. Check out The House Boardshop Snowboards Snowboard Boots Bindings Clothing or Dogfunk.com: Snowboarding Clothing and Gear from Burton, Volcom, DC Shoe Co., RVCA, Nixon, Oakley, Vans, Reef, DAKINE, Forum, and Zoo York from Dogfunk.com

Last edited by Mr. Right; 02-18-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Swoogles

Originally I was just going to update my original post, but that didn't bump it, so...bump I guess