Intermediate board help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Intermediate board help

I've been snowboarding for about three years with an 09 forum recon, and I feel like it's starting to hold me back as I progress with my riding. I ride on the east coast and I don't do any park stuff, maybe hit a jump every once in a while but nothing serious. I mostly ride groomers and powder when there is some, and have to deal with ice sometimes, but I'm having a hard time finding the right board. I've looked at the Ride Machete, which seems like a nice board but I've read that it might not be the best for my type of riding. I also looked at the GNU Carbon Credit and Rossignol Angus, and I've heard mixed things about both of those too, so I'm really not sure what to look for. I'm 5'10, 170, size 10-11 boot. I'm also trying to keep the price around $300-350, possibly more for the right board, so I'm looking for one of last year's models.
bmosher3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I bought my skate banana with my local hill's conditions in mind. Heavily riden, gets icy fast, lots of man made snow. I thought I would try the magnatraction and I'm glad I did. I am very pleased with how it handles in these types of condition.
Other makers have a similar system, maybe look at a board with this design.
I am riding park and jumps, but I'm still a newbie with no experience of riding lots of boards or park/jumps. I just know I'm comfortable on this board and it holds edges well on our hills conditions.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

What's the problem with the board you have? If it's the flex or the length you can get a board more to your preference. I wouldn't get something like the bannana with straight up reverse camber, especially if you ride a lot of icy stuff, but that's just my preference.
danorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

demo days. find a demo day somewhere and go to it
Old 07-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's pretty unstable/shaky at high speeds. It's also a 156 so I figured I would go for a 158-160 for my new board. And yeah from what I understand I wouldn't want a reverse camber board for the conditions I'll be riding, and that either hybrid camber or traditional camber would be better for packed powder and groomed runs.
bmosher3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmosher3 View Post
I've been snowboarding for about three years with an 09 forum recon, and I feel like it's starting to hold me back as I progress with my riding. I ride on the east coast and I don't do any park stuff, maybe hit a jump every once in a while but nothing serious. I mostly ride groomers and powder when there is some, and have to deal with ice sometimes, but I'm having a hard time finding the right board. I've looked at the Ride Machete, which seems like a nice board but I've read that it might not be the best for my type of riding. I also looked at the GNU Carbon Credit and Rossignol Angus, and I've heard mixed things about both of those too, so I'm really not sure what to look for. I'm 5'10, 170, size 10-11 boot. I'm also trying to keep the price around $300-350, possibly more for the right board, so I'm looking for one of last year's models.
I'll definitely sign off on Slyder's assessment of magnetraction, I have a carbon credit and it handles pretty much anything you can throw at it, pow, ice, crud...anything EXCEPT SPEED.

If you're thinking about doing any kind of bombing, and don't center yourself, it's sketchy, just like any reverse camber board. I'd suggest a Mervin with C2BTX or a Neversummer. I dunno how the Neversummer is when everything is tracked out and/or icy but, again, Magnetraction, for all its criticism rips everything.

Last edited by phony_stark; 07-09-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: capitalized Neversummer.
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phony_stark View Post
I'll definitely sign off on Slyder's assessment of magnetraction, I have a carbon credit and it handles pretty much anything you can throw at it, pow, ice, crud...anything EXCEPT SPEED.

If you're thinking about doing any kind of bombing, and don't center yourself, it's sketchy, just like any reverse camber board. I'd suggest a Mervin with C2BTX or a Neversummer. I dunno how the Neversummer is when everything is tracked out and/or icy but, again, Magnetraction, for all its criticism rips everything.

I wouldn't generalize that "just like any RC board" is sketchy at speed...

My NS Premier F1 is RC, and is most certainly NOT sketchy at speed. It will go as fast as you want it to go, and be stable.

If you should coniser the F1, I'd look at 160 or less. I'm 190 lbs and riding a 163. Doesn't matter how far you lean over, it just carves. No way would I consider longer, and maybe sometimes I think I should have went shorter. But in powder...well, maybe I did make the right choice.
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaborkian View Post

My NS Premier F1 is RC, and is most certainly NOT sketchy at speed. It will go as fast as you want it to go, and be stable.

If you should coniser the F1, I'd look at 160 or less. I'm 190 lbs and riding a 163. Doesn't matter how far you lean over, it just carves. No way would I consider longer, and maybe sometimes I think I should have went shorter. But in powder...well, maybe I did make the right choice.
I just think that camber or camber/reverse hybrids are more stable at speed than true RC. Different strokes though....
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phony_stark View Post
I just think that camber or camber/reverse hybrids are more stable at speed than true RC. Different strokes though....
Fair enough. I can't say I've been on a true reverse camber, the NS F1 is a rocker/camber hybrid. We may be saying the same thing...
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaborkian View Post

You're talking about rocker/camber. They're talking about reverse camber. Completely different.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote