burton custom vs custom flying v - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keljai View Post
l'm looking at getting the custom but cant decide which to get. I will be riding some icy conditions in spring so l'm leaning towards the regular. but l figured new tech... should be able to handle it since its a hybrid.

Also how much feet of snow before a rocker board is required for pow riding? l might get some during early dec so thats why l cant decide.

l'm also 5.7 about 150. you think a 154 will work for me?

There are some varying alternative cambers out there that may work for you. You might like to try a gullwing shaped board. It has the benefits of rocker as well as camber. Here are some boards that might suit:

Libtech Trice(C2)
Never Summer SL/Heritage
Nitro Team Gullwing

At 150lbs i would suggest soemthing around the 150-154cms.
fattrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattrav View Post
So much win in these two posts. I like you dude, we'd get along fine...well, you'd amuse be alot at least, but i'd probably piss you off. A lot.

Did you take time out from being a hard core snowboarder to make those posts?

Burton has a Learn To Ride (LTR) program, for alot of beginner riders, Burton is the only name that they have seen prior to being let out of the bunny slopes, Burton Custom is a name & model synominous with snowboarding. You cant change that with your sullen looks, mild angst and core mentality. I may be so bold as to say that Burton has done more for snowboarding than Capita will ever have the chance to do.

Its people like you that are taking snow boarding in the wrong direction, with a lack of acceptance for product based solely on its name or the size of the company who made it, only being out for what is cool at the time, and having a general lack of intelligence about what is really going on. It's akin to total retardation, and I can only really class that mentality as "hatin'. And it aint cool to hate. Don't trash on a company because they are big, trash on a company based on their products usability and durability. Or something like there lack of technology.

Burton a super corporation? As apposed to the Capita Super Corporation? (go ahead, google 'capita super corporation', the link to the capita snowboards website will be the first link at the top).

ironic that your username is hot garbage...its the equivalent of your opinion as well.
excellent post my friend
Tech420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
So much win in these two posts. I like you dude, we'd get along fine...well, you'd amuse be alot at least, but i'd probably piss you off. A lot.

Burton has a Learn To Ride (LTR) program, for alot of beginner riders, Burton is the only name that they have seen prior to being let out of the bunny slopes, Burton Custom is a name & model synominous with snowboarding. You cant change that with your sullen looks, mild angst and core mentality. I may be so bold as to say that Burton has done more for snowboarding than Capita will ever have the chance to do.

Its people like you that are taking snow boarding in the wrong direction, with a lack of acceptance for product based solely on its name or the size of the company who made it, only being out for what is cool at the time, and having a general lack of intelligence about what is really going on. It's akin to total retardation, and I can only really class that mentality as "hatin'. And it aint cool to hate. Don't trash on a company because they are big, trash on a company based on their products usability and durability. Or something like there lack of technology.

Burton a super corporation? As apposed to the Capita Super Corporation? (go ahead, google 'capita super corporation', the link to the capita snowboards website will be the first link at the top).

ironic that your username is hot garbage...its the equivalent of your opinion as well.
Um um... it should be "their" lack of technology.

Agreed for the most part though. I'm all for offering alternatives to Burton as most people have only heard of them while there's a lot of other great brands out there, but to suggest that anyone who owns a Burton board or is looking at a Burton board is a "fanboy" is childish. In some locations, it might actually come down to Burton and one or two other companies (especially if they want to buy local).
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Arbor also has griptech. Which is basically two magne points right at the bindings.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

Im just sick and tired of people only considering burton boards. read his post. a burton custom is not the right board for him. and the burton custom is most definently not "synominous with snowboarding". I dont hate burton, i have burton infidels and they have been great for me, the point i was trying to make was that burton is the go to option for many many people and its annoying that few newcomers don't consider a brand like venture or academy. and as for the name hot garbage, if you dont understand that then you need to go snowboard more
hot garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot garbage View Post
Im just sick and tired of people only considering burton boards. read his post. a burton custom is not the right board for him. and the burton custom is most definently not "synominous with snowboarding". I dont hate burton, i have burton infidels and they have been great for me, the point i was trying to make was that burton is the go to option for many many people and its annoying that few newcomers don't consider a brand like venture or academy. and as for the name hot garbage, if you dont understand that then you need to go snowboard more
Stop trying to be core first off. Never works on this forum.

Secondly, of course newcomers go with Burton rather than Venture or Academy. Those two brands are much smaller and don't have nearly the market presence that Burton does. Hell, I get a little excited when they bring up Ride, K2, or Rome boards instead of Burton, let alone Venture or Academy (or Sentury or Blak Sheep if you want to play this game).

Third, if people are trying to buy local, sometimes Burton is the only option that's really available to them. Nothing wrong with that.

Finally, from my experience, you don't always necessarily get a better product by going outside of Burton. I got some Rome Bindings. Turned out they had been recalled (they tried to call, but I was on my trip at the time... ) and I pretty much wrecked them on the second day (literally peeling off when I tried to turn). Ruined the trip. Sure, Rome was cool about it in regards to a refund, but it still ruined a trip since I didn't have a backup at the time.

All in all, the best thing to do in this situation is to mention other boards and why you feel they'd be a better fit rather than trying to be core and shit all over Burton.

Edit: To the original poster: Tell us how the board works out for you... I think we might have all missed your post among our bickering.

Last edited by Snowfox; 07-15-2011 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot garbage View Post
Haha, you're funny man, very funny. Did you do some kind of full immersion course to be this core? I only figure that, because you must have been away from real life reality for so so long, learning your skill sets of 'core boarder', either that or its time to cut back on the morning safety meetings...

Hey, I am all for suggesting other brands, I get where you're going with this. While there are many brands out there with equally as good products as Burtons there are a few things to consider.

Burton probably spends more in advertising in a half year that Venture and Academy make gross in a full financial year combined. Thats why the Burton name is out there, thats why its the brand of choice for people starting out or people not near a whole lot of snow shops, thats why alot of people haven't heard of lobster, yes, candleman, plague, smokin, shotgun (lol! as if!) and all those other little obscure boutique brands. When Shaun White is standing on the podium at the Olympics, its not a huge Academy sticker on his board that hes got pointed at the camera, its a Burton one, advertised to millions and millions of people around the world.

Aside from the advertisement stuff, Burton is a go too option because its everywhere. Wanna buy Cartels in Uzbekistan? Sure thing. Where's the Uzbeki Venture importer? Oh, you'll have to order that from their UK or Japan rep because there isn't one? Well, I guess thats 1 to Burton then isn't it. Want to buy a Never Summer board last year in New Zealand...gonna have to track down the Rep, but the website contract details are out of date, so you'll have to search some obscure fax number get his mother and ask her to get him to contact you, which he does a few weeks later and you manage to get a board in on his yearly shipment (this has now changed though, and you can buy them suckers on online at a local website).

When some new comer says they are going down to the shop to buy a Burton, and you say "how about a venture"...then would probably reply back "sure, i am going to venture down to the shop to buy a burton"

TRDR (too ranty didnt read version): New comers dont opt for Venture & Academy because they haven't heard of them.\

My only question is, why aren't you riding the unions?
fattrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

another burton basher.. its all the rage folks.. its regarded as hip or cool (by some)to be anti-burton anti-corporation anti NWO blah blah blah. Its in vogue, its politically correct.
Listen, jake burton the man, is a pioneer.. no more than that, he's the godfather of this sport we love. So while you may hate his corporation for some reason... do not hate burton the man! I understand he is a cool, philanthropic dude.
Question: if YOU stumbled upon massive business success.. would you walk away from it in an effort to remain "pure" ? ((( long pause )))Thats what I thought, and there-in lies the naivety between idealism and hypocrisy.
Ballistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
another burton basher.. its all the rage folks.. its regarded as hip or cool (by some)to be anti-burton anti-corporation anti NWO blah blah blah. Its in vogue, its politically correct.
Listen, jake burton the man, is a pioneer.. no more than that, he's the godfather of this sport we love. So while you may hate his corporation for some reason... do not hate burton the man! I understand he is a cool, philanthropic dude.
Question: if YOU stumbled upon massive business success.. would you walk away from it in an effort to remain "pure" ? ((( long pause )))Thats what I thought, and there-in lies the naivety between idealism and hypocrisy.
Eh.

Jake Burton is a man. He's made more than enough money from his venture, so I don't feel like sucking his cock anytime soon. On the other hand, I also don't plan on punching him there either.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
Eh.

Jake Burton is a man. He's made more than enough money from his venture, so I don't feel like sucking his cock anytime soon.
Are we still talking snowboards, or are we now talking about Obama's official policy toward the muslim brotherhood...