burton custom vs custom flying v - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default burton custom vs custom flying v

l'm looking at getting the custom but cant decide which to get. I will be riding some icy conditions in spring so l'm leaning towards the regular. but l figured new tech... should be able to handle it since its a hybrid.

Also how much feet of snow before a rocker board is required for pow riding? l might get some during early dec so thats why l cant decide.

l'm also 5.7 about 150. you think a 154 will work for me?
keljai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

why are thier so many burton fan boys these days? look at venture snowboards, top pow boards for sure but can hold their own in slush or ice. as long as ur not riding to much park venture is a good option
hot garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keljai View Post
l'm looking at getting the custom but cant decide which to get. I will be riding some icy conditions in spring so l'm leaning towards the regular. but l figured new tech... should be able to handle it since its a hybrid.

Also how much feet of snow before a rocker board is required for pow riding? l might get some during early dec so thats why l cant decide.

l'm also 5.7 about 150. you think a 154 will work for me?
While there certainly are other choices as the poster above me mentioned, the Burton Customs are good boards to look at as well.

Now, to answer your questions, the custom regular is always going to be better than the hybrid at ice because of the camber design. At the same time, the hybrid won't be nearly as unstable as if it was just a pure rocker board.

In terms of how many feet of snow is "required", there is no answer. People have been hitting huge pow lines with camber boards for years. It simply comes down to how often you think you'll be riding in powder, as a rocker or hybrid design will help with float immensely! If it's only once or twice, it might be worth just getting the regular custom as the edge control on the groomers will be preferable. If you're a powder hound, then you'll probably want to go with the rocker.

Not sure about the size issue to be honest. And if you want some other recommendations, feel free to ask.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot garbage View Post
why are thier so many burton fan boys these days? look at venture snowboards, top pow boards for sure but can hold their own in slush or ice. as long as ur not riding to much park venture is a good option
Uh... how long have you been snowboarding? There's absolutely nothing new about Burton having a ton of "fan boys".

With that said, something tells me you haven't even been on a Custom Flying-V. I'm thinking, you rode a Burton Clash from 2006.

@Keljai: If you have never been on a rocker board before, I do not recommend a Custom Flying-V at all. The rocker profile on it is going to feel super loose to you if you have only been on positive camber thus far. If you still want to stay within Burton, the Sherlock might be the better option. For some reason, the Custom's Flying-V has a more pronounced dip in the mid section. I personally really like this board, but I know it's not for everyone.

If you ride a lot of icey conditions, you might want to look at Lib Tech/GNU or Never Summer boards. Those companies have a lock-down on tech for cruddy conditions. Mervin (Lib/GNU) boards have Magnetraction which will give you the most bite on ice. Some say it has too much bite, but a simple edge tool will take care of that.

Never Summer has a more mellow tech called Vario Grip that works well. Not as grabby as Magnetraction.

Smokin snowboards also uses Magnetraction tech and I hear it is more mellow on their boards so that's worth a look as well.

I wouldn't listen to hot garbage... getting a pow board for non pow days is not a good idea. Yea, you can ride em on groomers and what-not, but why would you want to? Pow boards are usually stiff and damp. Not to mention directional. I'd just get a board with a mellow rocker or hybrid to give you all around performance. One board quiver type.

To answer your question about rocker on pow... you don't ever need it. It's just nice to have. Rockers help you float and reduce the leg burn that normally comes with pow riding on a positive camber board.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

ive never ridden a clash in fact ive never owned a burton board. i have demoed quite a few and i hate them. i rode a custom last winter and yeah it did well on groomers it is not a board that performs in the park in any aspect. it was actually kind of shitty compared to my capita indoor and my rome agent rocker. the only burton board i would ever buy is a love just cause of keegan and mikkel. burton is too much of a super corperation and they are taking snowboarding in the wrong direction. end rant
hot garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've been riding a burton custom for the past few years. I've learned to ride it in bad, icy conditions; however, its not my top choice for said conditions. That being said, I still don't think it's a bad choice, its still overall a good board with a good flex. It's really not terrible in the east coast stuff, but there better choices for your conditions.
Sflow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
ive never ridden a clash in fact ive never owned a burton board. i have demoed quite a few and i hate them. i rode a custom last winter and yeah it did well on groomers it is not a board that performs in the park in any aspect. it was actually kind of shitty compared to my capita indoor and my rome agent rocker. the only burton board i would ever buy is a love just cause of keegan and mikkel. burton is too much of a super corperation and they are taking snowboarding in the wrong direction. end rant
You do know that Burton is still privately owned right?

Thing is, I don't really disagree with you. There's a couple Burton boards that I would love to have, but for the most part I have others on my want list.

What gets to me are riders that call others "fan boys" and then proceed to bash the shit out of the brand they are fanboying. You are the opposite extreme which makes you no better than the very fanboys you bash.

You want to convince people to buy a non Burton board? Then tell them why the board in question isn't the ideal choice. That will get you much further in your anti-Burton agenda.

/endrant
Old 07-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

The Sherlock, Custom, and Blunt are all excellent boards. We can all agree that some suck, but some are very good boards. My gripe has always been edge hold. Never Summer, Lib Tech, and Yes have all done a much better job in my experience. Although the Custom (camber) was very good
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

well l was really open minded BUT then l found the custom for 310. which is an amazing price so l just couln'dt NOT jump the gun. there was also the sherlock for 290 but l read its more for pow and l aint much, l just might have a possibility of hitting some 1x next yr
keljai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
So much win in these two posts. I like you dude, we'd get along fine...well, you'd amuse be alot at least, but i'd probably piss you off. A lot.

Did you take time out from being a hard core snowboarder to make those posts?

Burton has a Learn To Ride (LTR) program, for alot of beginner riders, Burton is the only name that they have seen prior to being let out of the bunny slopes, Burton Custom is a name & model synominous with snowboarding. You cant change that with your sullen looks, mild angst and core mentality. I may be so bold as to say that Burton has done more for snowboarding than Capita will ever have the chance to do.

Its people like you that are taking snow boarding in the wrong direction, with a lack of acceptance for product based solely on its name or the size of the company who made it, only being out for what is cool at the time, and having a general lack of intelligence about what is really going on. It's akin to total retardation, and I can only really class that mentality as "hatin'. And it aint cool to hate. Don't trash on a company because they are big, trash on a company based on their products usability and durability. Or something like there lack of technology.

Quote:
burton is too much of a super corperation and they are taking snowboarding in the wrong direction. end rant
Burton a super corporation? As apposed to the Capita Super Corporation? (go ahead, google 'capita super corporation', the link to the capita snowboards website will be the first link at the top).

ironic that your username is hot garbage...its the equivalent of your opinion as well.
fattrav is offline   Reply With Quote