my pow stick review... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default my pow stick review...

bought and sold and rode the following sticks this last season and here is my findings. For i wanted a board for powder heavy days.

Burton Fish LTD. 160: is an elite level deep pow board. Not so much for mixed conditions. It has 30mm taper.

Malolo 162: this one has 20mm taper. So not quite as good for deep pow but still very good, and ok for mixed conditions.

Supermodel X 164: these have just 10mm taper. So its closer to being an all mtn board that is also good in deep pow.

Libtech Banana Magic 157: has a fat nose and its hybrid rocker shape promotes float. Its about equal to the supermodel for pow duty.

Skate banana 158: its pretty good in pow, thank you rocker profile. this one is my older sons board.

Sierra reverse crew: pretty similar to the banana but no mag traction.

Sherlock: didnt dig this board. Didnt hate it either, just indifferent to it. Meh.

flying V: meh.

I kept in my quiver 4 boards: the fish for epic snow dump daze. The malolo seemed to be not multi purpose enough. Sold it.

Supermodel: love it. Kept it
Banana magic: same.. kept it.
custom x: not a pow stick but kept it for now, might sell it.
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ill add a few, 165lbs riding at bridger bowl mt,

Lib tech snowmullet btx 165- 2cm of taper 1.5'' of set back, soft flex easy to ride hero pow board. Quick turning and playful for its length. Lots of pop in the pow. Still fun to ride and turn on hard surfaces. Pow butters are unreal.

164 capita charlie slasher 2cm of taper. Stiff and stable with tons of float. Rides more like a triditional freeride board with a big nose. Don't love boards with flat bases, they seem slow to react when riding on firm snow.

159 skate banana- fun twin board in pow, pops great out of deep snow, lots of fun when the snow is smooth, too flexy when the snow gets chunched up.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Darn wished one of you rode the Jones Hovercraft
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My stats (at the time anyways): 6' 185lbs 15,-15 or 21,-15 goofy

Atomic Radon 164: It was great whenever the powder gave out to some rough spots, but the camber design wants to sink so you're gonna have to setback a bit. To be honest, I didn't use this on the main powder days because I was instead using...

Sync Sentury 159: A true twin park board with rocker from a company that also offers a splitboard version. Rode it centered and it still wanted to naturally rise through the powder. It was still stable enough on the rough spots, but some might want a bit damper of a board for a straight pow stick. Gotta say though, probably some of the most fun I've had on a board.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ride SlackCountry? Jones Hovercraft?
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^^My Slackcountry review......The Chronicles of Gnarnia: Snowboard Review: Ride Slackcountry 164

I've since ridden it on a cat trip, where is performed admirably. It's an effing pow killer.
DrnknZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
164 capita charlie slasher 2cm of taper. Stiff and stable with tons of float. Rides more like a triditional freeride board with a big nose. Don't love boards with flat bases, they seem slow to react when riding on firm snow.
I agree. I have this board as my pow stick. I love it because the float is ridiculous. You can't sink that thing. It's also quite capable of handling groomers and mixed conditions between pow stashes.

However, I agree with you on the flat base. I think it does make it less responsive. In pow you can throw it around, but you're not going to be too agile in other conditions. Whatever, that's not what this stick is made for anyway. It slays the pow!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Nice review! I bet it feels hard to turn at the end of the day...164!!!
The Hovercraft comes in split model too..hard to resist.
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

164 isn't that bad to throw around. Plus, in the powder the CS's kicked up nose makes it surprising easy to get into turns.

The thing I like most about the CS is the stiff tail. Jumping this thing in powder is an absolute blast. The stiff tail gives you plenty to land on, but the big fat kicked up nose makes it nearly impossible to sink. Every pow day we all see guys going over the handle bars and cartwheeling when jumping in pow because they sink the nose. I haven't done that yet on the CS. You don't even have to think about it. You can just jump and land the same as you would hitting a kicker in the park.

But the part about Capita saying that this is a board you can ride switch, well they're full of shit. I guess since it's not a swallowtail that it's possible but it ain't fun. Granted my switch riding is relatively weak, but you better be damn good to even think about any switch riding on this thing. No way I'd land switch on this board. That would end badly for me.