down to final decision time ready to preorder a NS - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default down to final decision time ready to preorder a NS

going back and forth between the proto and the evo

i'm 5'11 150lbs

i have two solid sessions under my belt and i was a really fast learner, i've been an freestylist at every sport/hobby i've every picked up and i feel that even though right now i'm still getting my feet wet and playing all over the mountain this is wear i'm headed with this aswell and i just got a promotion at work which will give me alot of time to go boarding this season

i'm really having trouble deciding between the two boards right now and not sure which size to get. i know the new boards ride longer than measured due to the new tip design so i'll definitely be in the 152-154 range.

my thinking is that if i get the evo get a 154 which will give it more of an edge on the stability side and if i get the proto go with the 152 to give it more of a freestyle feel? or is my thinking skewed?!

which board do you guys think i should go with?!
mikeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

The Proto falls between the Evo and SL. Go with the EVO if you plan on being in the park on a regular basis. The proto would be the best of both worlds with Park/Freestyle/free ride.
Chosen_OnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

i think i'm leaning more towards the proto but was i right on my sizing theory?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wouldn't drop a lump sum of cash on a board when you have only ridden twice. Rent for a year and if you truly love it and progress a lot then buy it. I would recommend the evo for a beginner because it is softer.
SHREDDER97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

i appreciate the positive criticism but i assure you im hooked! i've been thinking about it non stop all summer lol! i'm just looking for some help before i make my final decision!
Old 07-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

I bought my first board after 2 days of rental board. It's since had 2 seasons of use across 3 different countries, only to be superseded a month ago. Long story short, buy board now rather than having to toil away on shitty rental boards.

Both of those NS boards are pretty similar, I'd go the EVO because it's a bit more playful and the Hybrid camber should give you enough stability to also ride all-mtn / pow. The blunted ends effectively mean you can downsize 1-2cm so the 152cm would probably be ideal for you weight. Although up/down a size shouldn't effect the ride too dramatically.
alternatevista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

More flex, or less flex? jib or jumps
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDDER97 View Post
I wouldn't drop a lump sum of cash on a board when you have only ridden twice. Rent for a year and if you truly love it and progress a lot then buy it. I would recommend the evo for a beginner because it is softer.
I never really liked this advice. Renting costs money, lots of money. Not to mention that it also gives you inconsistency with gear. Buying is always better in my honest opinion outside of your first session. Used, new, cheap new, whatever. More frugal than renting for an entire season.

As for my advice, I would go with the Evo. You sound pretty confident that you want a freestyle experience. This is what the Evo is for. Plus it doubles as a great learner board too due to the softer flex.

Down the line, you'll eventually want another board anyway for the days you don't feel like freestyling it up too much.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Evo it is, Ive also just started back into the gym, hoping to put on a good 10-15 lbs before the season starts, putting me at 160-165, should I go ahead and up it to the 154 or stick with a 152?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeith View Post
Evo it is, Ive also just started back into the gym, hoping to put on a good 10-15 lbs before the season starts, putting me at 160-165, should I go ahead and up it to the 154 or stick with a 152?
If you do in fact put on those lbs, then 154 would be the route I take. Stick with 152 if you are certain that you will be a jibber.