Too little overhang - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Too little overhang

Is there such a thing as too little overhang?

It got me thinking after reading this article Snowboard Width - Huh?. Where it said that there should be up to 0.10 cm of overhang on either side barefoot. This is after the foot has been angled as per rider's preference.

Is it recommend to have some overhang to be able to control the edges effectively?

Boards: Never Summer SL 154, Burton X8V 151.5
Bindings: Union Force SL, Burton Malavita Reflex
Boots: Salomon Dialogue
jas_kidd32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm not an expert, and I don't have tiny feet, but I would guess that you would want your boots to at least reach the edges of the board. This would be for control purposes. It would be hard to edge a turn if your feet don't reach the dges I would think. It's not just the toes you need to look at either. You want your boot to be centered so the overhang is equal in the front and back.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes. But as with anything else, take the article's calculation as a general guideline. I know people who prefer to ride a regular width board with more overhang than a mid-wide or wide. Others, me included, are okay with wider boards that may take a little more working in exchange for less overhang.
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

While too much toe/heel drag is bad for obvious reasons, not having your boot/bindings mounted such that enough weight can be shifted over either edge would result in poor edge initiation unless either the rider leaned far out of balance forwards or backwards. The ankles, knees and hips would have to flex through greater angles as well, slowing the ability to input control.

Think of how it would be to ride a theoretical 50 or 60 cm wide deck and you will understand why the deck should be neither too narrow nor too wide for the stance and foot size.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yep, I agree with other posters. I deal with this problem every day: I'm 4'11" and wear a women's size 4 boot. You'd be amazed by how hard it is to even find a size 4 boot. Anyway, I generally have at least an inch of space between the end of my foot and the edge of my board. It means that I have little direct control of my edge and am somewhat limited to riding very soft boards, even for all-mountain riding. They are the only ones I can turn comfortably. Even an average all-mountain board like the NS Infinity (women's version of the SL) is a chore for me to turn - I really have to push my knees and feet into it. Heelside turns seem to be easier because there is more leverage. I try to compensate by riding soft boards with stiffer boots...
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Resident poet

I have size 7 mens feet and generally like the edge to edge response of narrower women's boards...option trinity 158, Option k starr 155 and gnu b nice 155. I also ride a couple of men's boards...a 164 charlie slasher and 159 bananna that work fine in pow, but at the end of the day if its hard or packed...its a bit of a chore.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
Yes. But as with anything else, take the article's calculation as a general guideline. I know people who prefer to ride a regular width board with more overhang than a mid-wide or wide. Others, me included, are okay with wider boards that may take a little more working in exchange for less overhang.
By this ^^^ I was implying positive overhang... that is the toe and heel extend out beyond the the edge. If you've got a negative overhang problem like lilfoot vvv, that's a tough situation ! Ride safe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
Yep, I agree with other posters. I deal with this problem every day: I'm 4'11" and wear a women's size 4 boot. You'd be amazed by how hard it is to even find a size 4 boot. Anyway, I generally have at least an inch of space between the end of my foot and the edge of my board. It means that I have little direct control of my edge and am somewhat limited to riding very soft boards, even for all-mountain riding. They are the only ones I can turn comfortably. Even an average all-mountain board like the NS Infinity (women's version of the SL) is a chore for me to turn - I really have to push my knees and feet into it. Heelside turns seem to be easier because there is more leverage. I try to compensate by riding soft boards with stiffer boots...
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote