Demos - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Demos

So i had the chance to demo some boards on the weekend so thought i'd share my take on things...
Boards I rode:

Lib Tech attack banana 153 - One thing that is painfully clear to me now is that mervin boards are heavy and relatively sluggish. The elliptical
C2 camber was very smoothe and the attack banana was a little stiffer than average. Fair amount of pop but a 153 was a little too big for me and i just found the thing to be too heavy and therefore wasn't very playful.

Nitro T1 153 - Blew me away! Are all nitro's snowboards this light??? Took nothing to spin it, was stable at speed, good pop off jumps stable on landings...if i landed off balance it was forgiving and i was able to correct it without a spil. I thought it was awesome edge to edge and the way it turned made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, don't know if it was the sidecut or the way the core gets thicker and thinner but it handled like a dream. I'm used to having a reverse cambered board that sort of ollies for you but the t1 didn't quite do that. Thinking of buying this board but am just not sure whether to get a 149 or 153. If the 153 was this playful how good will the 149 be? But then i don't want to sacrifice versatility and potential to take it overseas.

Gnu Park Pickle 153 - Again, in a mervin the 153 felt too big. Regardless, i wanted to see if the sidecut was all it is cracked up to be...i've gotta say i wasn't thrilled by it. Granted i'm not used to it but a couple of times i felt like i was going to go backwards when i went hard on my heelside, really don't think it is necessary, are snowboarders really that lazy? Like the skate banana it had good pop but it was quite chattery and again it was too heavy for me.

Arbor Coda 153 - Solid deck! I felt like it may have been a little too big on the hard pack for me, but i could tell it was a good thing. More pop than a skate banana, more stable than a skate banana and maybe not quite as heavy. If someone told me they were getting a skate banana i would tell them to get this. The grip teck doesn't slow you down as much as magnetraction either. If it was a little bit smaller i would have loved it, if i was riding mostly pow..i'd buy it (only say that because i'm a small guy). Serious amount of pop!

So i learnt that mervin boards can take a back seat. I have released myself from their marketing hoo-har and i'm pretty sure my next board will be a nitro. Mervin boards generally have good pop and they float well in pow but that's pretty much all i can say. If i were riding pow i would consider the coda ahead of any mervin board. Backflip on mervin....complete!

Wouldn't mind some opinions on whether to get the 149 or 153 T1 (size 7 boot 55kgs)

Cheers!
boarder boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Glad to hear Mervin has lost some hype points with someone.

Get the 149. This makes me a little more curious about the T1. I haven't had a chance to ride it since they claimed they softened it up, never had one in a good size for me to try. But if it really sits in between the Rook and Swindle like it's supposed to it has potential to be one of my favorite park boards out right now.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

From what the rep was saying I reckon you would be right in saying the t1's between those two. He talked me out of the rook saying it was just that little bit stiffer and they only had a 154 to demo...still curious about the rook though, wouldn't think i'd need the extra stiffness. The t1 was definately a lot more than just a park board, i havn't ridden that many boards but id say it was at least a 5 in flex.
There's not a hell of a lot wrong with the t1, kinda makes me happy when i think of getting one
Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would just be careful if you like your board to help give you pop. Could have had a little more flex in that regard. Flex of 5 is probably an understatement
Old 07-19-2011, 02:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think it depends on your riding style, when it comes to Mervin. For the people who like park majority of the time, I keep reading that Mervin doesn't measure up.

I can tell you as someone who freerides mostly, rides some trees, and natural jumps, there wasn't much better out there than the Travis Rice. Need to jump on the Magic, but the Rice and Lynn were sick. And I tried a lot of shit. K2, Burton, Mervin, Never Summer, Ride, Yes. The Optimistic was my other favorite board for my riding style.

I can't stress more though...if you have 60 bucks for a few days of dicking around on multiple boards, do it. Everyone's style is different, and there are different companies that make great boards for that style.

Just don't like the blanket Mervin sucks. For more of a freerider with some jumps, Mervin makes some great boards with the Rice, Lynn, and as Leo has mentioned, the Banana Magic.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

The weekend was the first time i've ridden anything other than mervin since i've been any good at snowboarding, so the turn around in my mind is probably a little more extreme than is perhaps warranted. I maintain that they are heavy boards compared to the nitro but I can't speak more highly of my carbon credit as an entry level board. I suppose having liked the nitro so much i felt a sense of liberation but obviously based on mervin's following they suit plenty of people and they would be more so in the mix in my mind if i were riding pow and as you said, big mt more often.

Also, you are absoloutely correct about trying before you buy. Each brand has a different feel and i will probably get demos most days i head up for the rest of the aus season. demo days are a god send!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder boy View Post
The weekend was the first time i've ridden anything other than mervin since i've been any good at snowboarding, so the turn around in my mind is probably a little more extreme than is perhaps warranted. I maintain that they are heavy boards compared to the nitro but I can't speak more highly of my carbon credit as an entry level board. I suppose having liked the nitro so much i felt a sense of liberation but obviously based on mervin's following they suit plenty of people and they would be more so in the mix in my mind if i were riding pow and as you said, big mt more often.

Also, you are absoloutely correct about trying before you buy. Each brand has a different feel and i will probably get demos most days i head up for the rest of the aus season. demo days are a god send!
your reviews are full of flaws. u already admit that the boards you tried are way too big for you.... so why not try something your size and then compare apple to apple?
also i agree there's not a single board in mervin's line up that i would jib/park with... their boards are best for riding and is one of the best at that. take a suv on to the track doesn't make sense. nor is taking a porsche off roading. they each have their own purposes
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends6spd View Post
your reviews are full of flaws. u already admit that the boards you tried are way too big for you.... so why not try something your size and then compare apple to apple?
also i agree there's not a single board in mervin's line up that i would jib/park with... their boards are best for riding and is one of the best at that. take a suv on to the track doesn't make sense. nor is taking a porsche off roading. they each have their own purposes
I somewhat agree with you here. I would never consider jibbing with a mervin board but the banana magic is a great jump board. I bet there are better but the magic holds its own. Plus it is a great powder board! Really want to try out the T1 though. Looks solid
SHREDDER97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Very good point shredder, and that was the point I was making. You need to know your riding style, and find a board that is excellent in those areas. I love this site, but if I would have went by popular opinion, I would have been on a Never Summer SL or Heritage, but would have never tried a Yes Optimistic. For me, the Optimistic fit my riding style the best. The TRice was also a great option. Demo, demo, demo, if you can afford it for a couple days. You'll be surprised.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote