Do i need a wide board or can i just get a regular width board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: wide or regular?
Wide 5 83.33%
Regular 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Do i need a wide board or can i just get a regular width board?

I have a size 13 boot but the guy from my local shop told me that i wouldn't need a wide board... he said he knows a guys with a 14 boot on a regular width board... should i take his advice and get a regular width board or should i go wide? id really like to get a regular width board if i can... THANKS
luhhflappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Two things....

1. The question really isn't wide vs regular because not all wide boards are made equal. You should really look at the waist width listed for the board because they can differ quite a bit from board to board. So you want to see how long your boots are compared to the actual waist width to determine if you think the board is wide enough.

2. Why do you want a regular board so bad? These days, they make wide boards really well and there is very little, if any difference in performance between wide and regular. Plus, with your big feet, you'll have plenty of leverage on each edge to get plenty of responsiveness from the board.

So, with that said, with size 13 boots you should really consider a board with a waist width of at least 260mm. That will likely be labled as a wide, but not always. My TRice 161.5 has a 260 waist and isn't labled wide.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The main thing is usually your angles. Best thing to do is take your bindings and boots in when you buy a board and check that out.

I'm at 11.5 and I'm technically at the edge between regular and wide, but I usually get away with regular because of my angles (15, -15).

Oh, and there's also mid-wides at some companies now, so have fun with that, haha.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks!! yea the board im lookin at is 255 cm would that be ok? its a capita stairmaster
Old 07-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
The main thing is usually your angles. Best thing to do is take your bindings and boots in when you buy a board and check that out.

I'm at 11.5 and I'm technically at the edge between regular and wide, but I usually get away with regular because of my angles (15, -15).

Oh, and there's also mid-wides at some companies now, so have fun with that, haha.
I agree, angles and boot profile make a difference.

However, I'll stress again to just look at the waist width in the specs since wide and mid-wide can mean anything in terms of actual width. My regular TRice has a wider waist than some mid-wides or even wides.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhhflappy View Post
thanks!! yea the board im lookin at is 255 cm would that be ok? its a capita stairmaster
That would generally be considered pretty narrow for size 13 boots. If possible, do what snowfox said and place your boots and bindings on the board to check how bad the overhang is. My guess is that it will be doable, but not ideal, and will definitely get some toe drag when carving.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Alright thank you very much... i think ill look for a wider board
Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Seconded on the mount your bindings/boots to see where they come out. Without knowing your stance width, setback and angle, you won't be able to gauge your toe/heel drag to see if you have the right balance between leverage and dragging.

Even if you did know the waist width, different decks have different sidecut radii, so you won't know the actual width of the deck at the mounting point unless you want to do some nasty math. So a wide waisted with a mellow cut might be the same width as a mid-wide with a more agressive cut at one stance width but at a wider stance, the mid-wide would be wider and a narrower stance would make the mid-wide narrower. Thing will get even more hectic if you set your bindings back at all.

I personally think changing your angles and stance width slightly to accomdate the right toe/heel drag is probably something most riders should be able to deal with.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
I personally think changing your angles and stance width slightly to accomdate the right toe/heel drag is probably something most riders should be able to deal with.
I would think it would be better to ride a slightly wider board and keep your stance exacty how you want it than to change your stance to force yourself onto a specific board.

Maybe back in the days of the K2 FatBob that was liking riding your front door down the mountain that approach would make sense, but there are soooo many wide options now that you shouldn't have to compromise your stance to fit.

That stairmaster has two wide options that might work, or there are plenty of other freestyle decks that are 260+ that would be great as well.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

I guess it depends on how comfortable you are. I don't skate or surf, but I find I can tolerate riding lots of different angles and widths as long as they fall within a certain threshold. I usually pick the same stance, though, as long as the deck will mount it and allow the right balance between heel/toe drag; 23.5", centered, +15/-15 is my usual though I've done 24.5" +15/-15 and down to 20.25", with 2.5" setback, +30/+12.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote