New board + binding + boot setup for beginner - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New board + binding + boot setup for beginner

Hi guys

I just started and I would say I am an improving beginner for all-mountain terrain. Still learning the S-turns tho but I got my heel down for the falling leaf. Now working on my toe side. I don't do any tricks or whatever yet.

1st day - went up to a man-made indoor slope/park
2nd day - went up to the mountains (lower)
3rd day - went up to upper mountains

This was all using my friends gear but i think his board length is too long (162cm). Now I am looking to get my own gear - I prefer second hand gear as they are much cheaper and I don't have to invest in $1000+ on starting gear. However, my budget can stretch up to $500 depending on model & condition.

I am 180cm tall, 75kg weight and about US 9 feet, wont be growing anymore. Would I be a 156cm-158cm board length non wide..?

I've been reading up a bit and looking at lib tech banana boards, never summer, burton custom, ride, flux, raiden, Rome, flow bindings, nike kaiju, salomon F22 boots etc but not sure which direction to go..? Before I buy anything, I do thorough research and readings before jumping into it - it's my habit. I just want to make sure the board is suitable for my skill level and mountain condition.

If someone can point me to the right direction on what I should be really looking at, that'd be great. I am open to suggestions as well. Any advice about board/boot/binding model/type will be super!

James
New Zealand

Last edited by chiggah; 07-19-2011 at 03:10 PM.
chiggah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

I wont comment on board sizing, cause there are plenty of people on here who know more about that than me but if youre in NZ check out the sale on torpedo7 at the moment. I just picked up the 2012 fun kink for a sweet $500. All snow gear is pretty nicely reduced, especially last seasons stuff
helbnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I was looking at that site - initially didn't want brand new coz it's gonna cost too expensive.. but I was interested in this.. thoughts..?

BURTON Dominant Channel Snowboard 2010 - Torpedo7
Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

156-158 is probably about right for you.

If you are looking to buy used, the easiest way to get feedback on here would be to post some options you've found that work for your size and budget and then get thoughts based on what you are looking for.

It's hard to give you advice right now because we have no idea what boards are available for you. Affordable and available in NZ could be pretty restrictive.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Currently using friend's dynastar board and nitro boots. Unsure which model tho. Will let you guys know when I get home later

With regards to used, I am ok with second hand gear from Overseas. Willing to pay the shipping costs
Old 07-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

also, surprisingly if you get the right person the store at snowplanet can cut some pretty sweet deals
helbnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

damn, too bad your a size 9 boot...ive got a 2010 Ride Machete 157 W with Ride NRC bindings for pretty cheap
threej21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by threej21 View Post
damn, too bad your a size 9 boot...ive got a 2010 Ride Machete 157 W with Ride NRC bindings for pretty cheap

What's your boot size? My footprint measures 10.5" (about 26cm) from toe to heel.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggah View Post
What's your boot size? My footprint measures 10.5" (about 26cm) from toe to heel.
I wear a 12, but from my understanding, any boot smaller than 11 should ride a normal width board, maybe someone with more expertise will chime in
Old 07-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

after a quick search, i did find that my machete has a waist width of 26.1 cm, so maybe it would be fine...but again, im no expert...maybe ask snowolf what his thoughts are