Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Need help with board size for jolly green giant. (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/4028-need-help-board-size-jolly-green.html)

imseeinrobotz 02-19-2008 01:13 AM

Need help with board size for jolly green giant.

Im
6'-6"
190 pounds
size 14 shoe.

I just started this year and Ive been trying to stick with renting so Im not forced to make an investment gear. My resort has Burton 165 XL boards. Thats all the board really says on it.

My problem is that anytime I try to turn toeside I get a nice mouthful of snow. I cant find anyone locally that would rent gear my size.

Any suggestions for what to look for would be loved. Im guessing I would need a wide board but I have no idea of length based on my height and weight. Which is where you folks come in.

If I didnt include enough info just ask. Sorry if this post is a bit scattered Im writing it as I study for college tests.

-Joseph

romesaz 02-19-2008 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imseeinrobotz (Post 36759)
Im
6'-6"
190 pounds
size 14 shoe.

I just started this year and Ive been trying to stick with renting so Im not forced to make an investment gear. My resort has Burton 165 XL boards. Thats all the board really says on it.

My problem is that anytime I try to turn toeside I get a nice mouthful of snow. I cant find anyone locally that would rent gear my size.

Any suggestions for what to look for would be loved. Im guessing I would need a wide board but I have no idea of length based on my height and weight. Which is where you folks come in.

If I didnt include enough info just ask. Sorry if this post is a bit scattered Im writing it as I study for college tests.

-Joseph

Before the burton hate comes in, though it seems it's subsided lately: At your weight, you really don't need anything too long. The 165 should be just about right, but since you have big feet, you might want step up in length.
Burton has a huge selection, especially when it comes to boards. From what i've seen and heard, they're one of the few companies that will cater to bigger people or bigger feet. There's a local radio personality that rides something like a 180 Custom or Custom X wide. That's not a length
that a lot of companies can/will offer.I'm not sure what the width is of your rental place (be glad that they even have anything above 156 (our local rentals max at that)), but you can take a look at something like a NeverSummer Legacy in 166 or 170, with 26.9cm and 27.0cm waists respectively. Though even with those width you may want to spread your angles a tad more to prevent overhang. YOu'll probably want some[overhang] but not too much.

example me: 180lbs, size 11 boot. 159cm board, 25.4cm waist. Angles: +21-24/-15 and I've almost no overhang at all.
I ride east coast, so no powder :(. And by the sounds of it, you don't get much either.
I may be wrong, but I really thing you should be okay with a 27cm or there-abouts. You can probably find a bit wider. Just look around.

[edit: changed mm to cm :(...]

Mr. Right 02-19-2008 01:43 AM

Burton.com

I'd get the 159 if you are in packed situations a lot, a 164 if you see snow often.

imseeinrobotz 02-19-2008 02:10 AM

Im in central california. At the moment Im going to Sierra Summit which is near Yosemite. Im looking at moving over the summer to a few places and all of them are on the west coast, Idaho, Montana, Sacramento CA.

PaoloSmythe 02-19-2008 06:58 AM

i am not offering any advice until you prove that you really are green.

otherwise you are simply a shameless tease! and how jolly are you exactly?

Lift-ie-steeze 02-19-2008 12:14 PM

I was waiting for someone to advise the wide board for this guy. With a size 14 if your not riding a wide board your toes/heels will catch the snow all day long; no matter what the length. as for length, like everyone has said, it just depends on what kind of terrain you're riding. go with what snowolf said.

imseeinrobotz 02-19-2008 11:58 PM

Im not sure what terrain Im really into yet. Im just getting into the sport. I prefer to wait till I know enough about a sport to make an informed decision about what Im buying, but equipment issues are making it hard to learn. I keep having to switch my front foot so I can do heelside turns because toeside are impossible.

A question about bindings thou, are there XL bindings that I would need for my shoe size. Any suggestions for something entry level that is still of good quality.

schmitty34 02-20-2008 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imseeinrobotz (Post 37071)
Im not sure what terrain Im really into yet. Im just getting into the sport. I prefer to wait till I know enough about a sport to make an informed decision about what Im buying, but equipment issues are making it hard to learn. I keep having to switch my front foot so I can do heelside turns because toeside are impossible.

A question about bindings thou, are there XL bindings that I would need for my shoe size. Any suggestions for something entry level that is still of good quality.

Are your toes digging into the snow when you turn? Or are the toeside turns just hard on you? I found that the hardest turn to learn when I started as well. The 165 is plenty big, but the width may be what is hurting you. Although, a board that says XL on it must be wide.

XL bindings should work for your boots.

Mr. Right 02-20-2008 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lift-ie-steeze (Post 36898)
I was waiting for someone to advise the wide board for this guy. With a size 14 if your not riding a wide board your toes/heels will catch the snow all day long; no matter what the length. as for length, like everyone has said, it just depends on what kind of terrain you're riding. go with what snowolf said.

I believe the Burton Bullet I linked him to is a wide, I know it makes my 8.5's look like a toddlers shoes on my Bullet 164.

Also when it comes to bindings, most all manufacturers build their bindings different. I fit into large ride bindings from the ATV and foundation collection but their movements kick me down to a small, and Romes large bindings are entirely too large for my boots. You will need to check on the binding you eventually decide to go with for the proper fitment.

imseeinrobotz 02-20-2008 12:17 AM

Im pretty sure its my toes digging in. I can feel a drag on them and last time I was up I measured and the tips of my boots were 1.75 inches past the board. They had the bindings set 0,15.