This girl needs help choosing - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

female This girl needs help choosing

Hi everyone,
Im in desperate need of some help in choosing a new board. I would rate my abilities as intermediate, am confident on intermediate runs, cautious on advanced runs and can link turns easily. Im looking for a board that will help me grow as I want to start doing some small rails, jumps and boxes but also something that I can speed down the mountain on.

Here are my stats
5"11 (1.79cm) so quite tall for a girl
145 lbs (65kg)
Boot size 9.5 US
Will mainly be riding groomed runs and from the southern hemisphere so it gets rather icy aswell.

After doing some reading on here have found that I have been riding the wrong size board, brought a board off my friend just to see if I liked snowboarding and that was a 149 but I prob need something longer, any reccommendations?

Also because I am so tall would it be beneficial for me to check out some mens boards aswell??

Have had a wee look at some ladies boards and heres a few I liked;

Rome Vinyl
Gnu B-Nice (have never riden a rockered board before so not sure how I would go on this)
Arbor Eden

Would any of these be suitable for me or are there any others that you would recommend??

Thank you in advance for your help, you rock!!
Zarn x

Last edited by JayZee008; 08-01-2011 at 08:10 AM.
JayZee008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Hope i can help

Hey Zarn x,
You definitely are riding the wrong size board, Iím 5í9 and I ride a 156. Menís boards are a possibility for us taller women but they just donít ride the same as a womanís which are made to respond to our movements better.
Last year I wanted the same thing to step up my game and buy a board that can take me to the next level. I bought a NeverSummer Infinity, It has both Rocker and Camber technology and is one of the best womanís freestyle board on the market right now.
Infinity | Never Summer Industries - Snowboards, Longboards, Clothing and Accessories

Out of your three choices I think the Rome Vinyl would be your top choice. It is also a top all mountain terrain womanís snowboard. It has great response for carving and pulling bigger tricks in the park.
Hope my info has helped in some sort of way, good luck ripping it up this year.
*Penny*
InfinitySnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A 149 isn't to far off... I would say a 149-153 for your weight. Height doesn't matter, just so you know. The board doesn't care how tall you are, just how much pressure you push down onto it.

I highly recommend a Never Summer Infinity. I feel it's the best female board on the market, and has Vario grip for your icy conditions. It also has both reverse and regular camber shape to it. That means you get the playfulness of reverse camber, and the high speed stability and pop of regular camber.

The infinity is the female version of the SL, which is Never Summers top selling board.

Infinity | Never Summer Industries - Snowboards, Longboards, Clothing and Accessories

I've heard a lot of good about the GNU B-Nice as well, but it has magnetraction. That's a love/hate type of edge design since it's so radical.

Absolutely stick with a female board... They have different flex patterns and narrower waists, specific for smaller, less muscular bodies. Also if you buy a girl board, it will fuel the desire for companies to continue making girl boards.

Good luck
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Rooster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
Height doesn't matter, just so you know. The board doesn't care how tall you are, just how much pressure you push down onto it.
this is true - to a point, but when you're talking about someone who is nearly 6 feet tall a 149 is pretty ridiculous. you need a certain amount of nose to ride pow, need a certain amount of tail to pop, and it comes down to a comfortable stance.

you need to be able to slap a comfy riding stance down on that board and with a 149 @ nearly 6ft tall you're most likely gonna be pushing the stance out to the edges of the board and you tend not to carve properly and just wash the tips around... something in the 153-155 range IMHO would give you more options and would fit your body frame better. i think it matters in some cases and this is one. just my opinion
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
this is true - to a point, but when you're talking about someone who is nearly 6 feet tall a 149 is pretty ridiculous. you need a certain amount of nose to ride pow, need a certain amount of tail to pop, and it comes down to a comfortable stance.

you need to be able to slap a comfy riding stance down on that board and with a 149 @ nearly 6ft tall you're most likely gonna be pushing the stance out to the edges of the board and you tend not to carve properly and just wash the tips around... something in the 153-155 range IMHO would give you more options and would fit your body frame better. i think it matters in some cases and this is one. just my opinion
Good point sir!

Her stance width comfort is yet to be determined.... That would def play a factor.

Maybe we could get some info on that to dial in a more specific reply for her
Old 09-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Not to mention that with size 9.5 boots a woman's 149 might be too narrow for her. I would agree that something in the 153-155 range would probably be a better fit.
Hawkfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkfan79 View Post
Not to mention that with size 9.5 boots a woman's 149 might be too narrow for her. I would agree that something in the 153-155 range would probably be a better fit.
I dunno about that.... While female boards are more narrow, they aren't wayyyy more narrow. My girl rides a 45 NS Infinity, I ride a 63 NS Heritage, wide and it's only about an inch wider.