Setup Advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Setup Advice

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a good park/ mountain freeride setup. I am 6' weigh 140 lbs and have a size 10 boot. I currently have size 10 head triple boots and I am looking to get the arbor blacklist with raiden phantom or raiden zero bindings. I was just wondering if this setup would be suitable and if the 154 board would work with my weight (as thats the smallest the blacklist comes). I am comfortable hitting pretty much anything other than the huge stuff in the park, but I prefer jibs. Let me know if you guys think this setup would be good for me (such as a good boot/binding match, proper board size for my weight, and good board for my foot size and style of riding). thanks guys!
johnnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Haha usually people base their board size off weight. At 140 lbs, if you're planning on doing jib stuff, you'll probably want a shorter board. For freestyle, your weight would probably mean you'd want a 150 cmish board. One of my close friends is 140 lbs, and he rides a 151 signal park rocker. But you know, you're super tall for being 140 lbs lol. It might not be bad to get a 154cm board. And if you do ever end up hitting the huge jumps in the park, you'd probably be grateful you got the longer board.

Are you set on the blacklist? It looks like a sick board, but there are a ton of other options.

As for the boots and bindings, usually most boots and most bindings fit well together. I don't really know anything about the head triple boots or the raiden zero bindings, but people typically suggest getting the same brand of stuff for boot & binding so it meshes well together. But I've never had any problems with my boots not fitting with my bindings, and I've tried tons of combinations, so I would just go for it.

(There are also a ton of other good binding choices for park... I ride flux rk30's and they are probably the most playful bindings I've tried in my life...)
Old 08-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am not completely set on the blacklist if you have any other recommendations for me. And yes I am very skinny for someone my height haha that is why I figured the 154cm board wouldn't be a problem. My last board was a 152cm and I liked it, but it didn't have the flex I wanted and it wasn't very stable as it was a cheaper board. Let me know what else you think I should look into board and binding wise (money isn't a factor unless the combination of the two is over $1500). Thanks for your help!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Holy crap. Lol. $1500 is your limit?
The world is your oyster. I guess I'll give you a few options, but there really are tons of options for you.

Quote:
My last board was a 152cm and I liked it, but it didn't have the flex I wanted and it wasn't very stable as it was a cheaper board.
So first of all, there's sort of an inherent problem with that. If you want a more stable board, it's probably gonna be less flexy, and vice versa.
Like I said before, my friend rides the Signal Park Rocker, and that board is SUPER flexy. We were pretty newb when it came to butters last year, but that board made a huge difference. I spent like, 15 minutes on it and learned a ton of new tricks. If you're into jibby things, like butters, box/rail presses, that's a pretty sick board. If you're actually planning on going fast though, that board blows. It didn't even seem that stable off the 10ft jumps we were going on. But it is sort of the king of ground tricks. (Just youtube Master of Ground and look at all the ridiculous things they're doing. I think - not certain - but I think they're primarily riding signal boards).

But you did say Freeride/Park, so you'll probably want to go with an all-mountain freestyle board. Do you want true twin or directional? And where do you ride/what kind of conditions do you ride?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac View Post
I am 6' weigh 140 lbs and have a size 10 boot.
I know how you feel. I am 6' 140ish lbs but with a 9.5 boot. I have been riding a 155 for the last couple years and it's pretty stable at high speeds and seems ok at small park and natural jumps but I am not much of a park guy. However, if you did do a lot of park you would probably want something smaller maybe? Just make sure the waist is big enough since you have a size 10 boot if you did want to go with something in the low 150s range.
DaToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

With the Blacklist for you it will depend on how you like a board to feel on jibs. It's not effortless with the Blacklist. Meaning you actually have to know how to press a snowboard. No cheater presses here. If you do know how to press then it, even with only 145lbs, locks impressively well. Other options you may be interested in are the Signal Park Flat 152 or Rocker Light 152, Salomon Drift rocker 152, possibly the K2 Fastplant 151 (organic flex isn't for everyone), Nitro Swindle 152, Bataleon Whatever 153, or a Flow Verve 152.

Keep those same binding options on all those options though.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 08-01-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibimbap View Post
Holy crap. Lol. $1500 is your limit?
The world is your oyster. I guess I'll give you a few options, but there really are tons of options for you.

So first of all, there's sort of an inherent problem with that. If you want a more stable board, it's probably gonna be less flexy, and vice versa.
Like I said before, my friend rides the Signal Park Rocker, and that board is SUPER flexy. We were pretty newb when it came to butters last year, but that board made a huge difference. I spent like, 15 minutes on it and learned a ton of new tricks. If you're into jibby things, like butters, box/rail presses, that's a pretty sick board. If you're actually planning on going fast though, that board blows. It didn't even seem that stable off the 10ft jumps we were going on. But it is sort of the king of ground tricks. (Just youtube Master of Ground and look at all the ridiculous things they're doing. I think - not certain - but I think they're primarily riding signal boards).

But you did say Freeride/Park, so you'll probably want to go with an all-mountain freestyle board. Do you want true twin or directional? And where do you ride/what kind of conditions do you ride?
I want true twin definitely. I ride mostly up in michigan so it is almost all groomed trails unfortunately. Sometimes it gets a little icy but for the most part it's not too bad. This year were probably going up to colorado as well though so I am looking for board that can handle the mountain as well as the park.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
With the Blacklist for you it will depend on how you like a board to feel on jibs. It's not effortless with the Blacklist. Meaning you actually have to know how to press a snowboard. No cheater presses here. If you do know how to press then it, even with only 145lbs, locks impressively well. Other options you may be interested in are the Signal Park Flat 152 or Rocker Light 152, Salomon Drift rocker 152, possibly the K2 Fastplant 151 (organic flex isn't for everyone), Nitro Swindle 152, Bataleon Whatever 153, or a Flow Verve 152.

Keep those same binding options on all those options though.
I don't know how to do the spins and presses and all those things, only because I didn't have a beginner terrain park to learn on. I had to learn on the full sized one on a straight down slope. A great way to get injured I might add. But surprisingly by the end of the season I could still hit everything in the park. I just couldn't get any tricks in. This year I will travel to better locations especially ones were I can learn to do new tricks. I am interested in more of an intermediate pro board and I don't want something that is extremely soft flex (just enough for some good pop action). I don't have any problems with the more advanced boards controlling me rather than me controlling the boards. I will look into the boards you listed and if you want to narrow it down to just a few with the info I gave you, that'd be great. Thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The softest boards that still gave me pop were the Signal Rocker Light, Salomon Drift Rocker, and Flow Verve.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
The softest boards that still gave me pop were the Signal Rocker Light, Salomon Drift Rocker, and Flow Verve.
Do you still think I should look into the blacklist? I liked the specs on that board and I have heard great reviews about it, not just from you.