First setup...what should I get? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First setup...what should I get?

Here's the obligatory "what board should I get?" question. I'm a girl at a beginner/intermediate level. I'm 5' 2" and 100 pounds. My shoe size is a women's 6. I like freestyle and park riding. I mostly ride Camelback, Shawnee, and Mountain Creek if that gives you an idea of the conditions. I want a true twin that's 138-140 cm. I'm looking at the 2011 Ride Rapture 138, but it seems like people on this forum don't like it. Does anyone know anything about it? Any suggestions for other boards worth trying? Also, how much do boots/bindings matter (as in should I splurge or save, look for a specific model, etc.)? Any pointers would be really helpful. Thanks.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptart View Post
Here's the obligatory "what board should I get?" question. I'm a girl at a beginner/intermediate level. I'm 5' 2" and 100 pounds. My shoe size is a women's 6. I like freestyle and park riding. I mostly ride Camelback, Shawnee, and Mountain Creek if that gives you an idea of the conditions. I want a true twin that's 138-140 cm. I'm looking at the 2011 Ride Rapture 138, but it seems like people on this forum don't like it. Does anyone know anything about it? Any suggestions for other boards worth trying? Also, how much do boots/bindings matter (as in should I splurge or save, look for a specific model, etc.)? Any pointers would be really helpful. Thanks.
With those east coast conditions I'd recommend a Roxy/GNU with Magnatraction (MTX) or Neversummer's vario grip. I know it is your first set up but please don't go cheap with a throwaway board. PM me if you want a employee discount hook up on 2012 boards.
Mervin MTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Boots and bindings can make a significant difference in your riding. ESPECIALLY in the park and freestyle areas. I wouldn't cut myself short on the board, but you definitely want to invest in a quality boot and decent bindings (appropriate for your style of riding)
johnnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervin MTX View Post
PM me if you want a employee discount hook up on 2012 boards.
I PM'd you about that employee discount about a week ago and got no response...
johnnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm pretty set on getting a board with magne-traction, but do Roxy/Gnu/Lib-tech make 138-140 true twin boards? I liked the Park Pickle except that it's asymmetrical. The B-Street looked okay, but the smallest size is a 141. Lib-tech's boards are all big. I don't know much about Roxy boards, but weren't they not always made by Mervin manufacturing? By the way, does it matter if I get a kids' board?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

139 Arbor Cadence. Grip ice when you need to without hookyness of Magne. Better than any Mervin you'll find in you're size. Other options that come down that small... Salomon Lark Rocker or Gypsy.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

140 Lib Ripper vs. 141 B. Street?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptart View Post
140 Lib Ripper vs. 141 B. Street?
Cadence. Lib ripper is a kids board. B. Street is a $450 jib board they "claim" can handle everything cause they think banana is God's gift to snowboarding. BTX is gross and unruly, center reverse is done right by Arbor, and very occasionally Burton/Forum. The Cadence is more or less the women's Westmark. Which for men is one of the greatest park boards ever built. With the Cadence you'll get grip on ice, your reason for wanting MTX, but you'll also get stability and better pop while remaining playful.

here's some reviews of the Westmark, the Cadence's brother.
The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive 2012 Arbor Westmark Used and Reviewed
The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive Arbor Westmark Used and Reviewed

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 08-05-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

The Cadence is a great board. It's really helped my girlfriend progress. It's super playful and forgiving. She's constantly buttering, spinning around and popping off little bumps. Also, not that it matters, but she gets compliments on the board all the time because of the graphics.
L3mnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

The 2010 cambered Cadence or 2011 rocker Cadence?