Arbor Draft or Salomon Drift Rocker - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Arbor Draft or Salomon Drift Rocker

Hi all

I'm after a bit of advice for buying a new board please

I currently ride a DC PBJ 153 2010(2009?) (the Bittner Pro roadkill/regular camber one) and have been looking at a couple of new boards that I have read up on and appear to be pretty well received. After starting (trying ) to ride the park this last winter it is definitely the area I am keen to focus more on going forwards, almost exclusively really. From the large rollers, small kickers and boxes I've been hitting, I hope to progress on to trying rails and larger kickers in the future and would only realistically get around 10 or so days on the snow a year with the rest spent on the indoor slopes. I'm around 10.5-11 stone, so about 150lbs and, guess not that it really matters, but about 5'11" ish.

With that in mind, which would you recommend out of the Arbor Draft or Salomon Drift Rocker. I am quite keen to try a reverse camber/rocker board and am also open to hearing other suggestions around these boards too, so please feel free to put other suitable boards forward in to the mix Trying to keep costs down a little and looking at possibly picking up a previous seasons board, but happy to spend up if needed For some funny reason, I'm always able to justify the additional spend to myself

I'm hearing good things on the Arbor Blacklist and Westmark, but knowing the Blacklist is new and therefore no previous seasons to snap up and I'm not sure if it goes short enough too? Also I don't fully understand the difference between the two and thought that perhaps the Draft may be a little more suitable due to being softer(?) but again, advice welcome please!

Shout up if there is any more info I need to give

Thanks in advance!
monsieurblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Where will you be riding besides indoor slopes? Are you going to do anything besides park or just park?
SHREDDER97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi

The 10 or so days will be out on a mountain when I can get away from work, park and groomers really. Hit the odd powder when it's there but not looking to hike (sure I can convince myself to get another board if I do all that too ) prefer to focus more on the freestyle side of things atm. So natural hits to the side of piste, rookie park etc. and work my way up. Rest of time as I say, would likely be indoors.

You think it might be better to go for a more general all round park board than something softer like I imagine the Arbor Draft and Salomon Drift Rocker are? Be cool to have some pop there, but do like the idea of a playful board. tbf, I do like my PBJ and with my newer Cartel Re:Flex bindings, it has made a noticeable difference to the flex underfoot. But I have a rocker ich I feel I need to scratch

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Could you tell me exactly where you ride. It wouod be helpful. If your looking for park, groomers, some powder, and natural hits the never summer evo looks good. if you want a twin that is a little stiffer then the ns proto ct. both are rocker camber hybrid. i do infact like the drift rocker a lot. it is probably the best rocker for under 400
Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

As I don't live near a resort, it is only on vacation that I get the opportunity to hit the mountain 'properly'. Being based in the UK it is likely to be European resorts. I've been to Tignes (France), Les Deux Alpes (France), Alpe D'Huez (France), Mayerhofen (Austria), Pas De La Casa (Andorra) can't think if it's anywhere else too... I'll be heading out to somewhere in Europe for a couple of 6-7 day trips next season and hopefully more if I can!

NS evo? Would you recommend that for the park then, I understood it to be more all mountain-ish I'll take a look, thanks! Good to hear you like the Drift Rocker too, especially as it looks as though I can pick it up for a good price. Guess that's one of the reasons why I have been looking at both the Arbor Draft and Salomon Drift Rocker, but the Drift is still quite a bit less.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ya , are you going to ride powder when you go to france etc. Or just groomers and park. And yes the evo is a park board but it handles very well all over the mountain
Old 08-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hey again

Like I said, it really would be park focused riding really. I 'may' hit a powder run, but 'really' don't want to buy a board based on something I might do a couple of times and not guaranteed. Boxes, kickers etc would be what I'd be lapping really, especially with the indoor riding too.

Do you know how the Arbor Draft and Salomon stack up against one another? Flex, Pop etc? Just as I could possibly pick one up at an ok price, but not if they're not right

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have no experience with the draft. If you are set on arbor the blacklist is a better choice i would assume. A tad softer. The smallest size is 154 but u could probably get away with it. The drift rocker is a soft- mid flexing board. I has decent pop from what i remember and an all around great board for the price. As i said before i really like the ns evo. Last year it actually won the king of jib so dont be afraid that it isn't enough park for you. If i were you i would try to demo all these boards and then choose. If you cant get a demo then research a little more then see if one has a slight advantage over the others.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Draft if one of the softest boards on the market. If you were just using it indoor it would be awesome, however with 10 days on real snow you are probably going to want more board. The Blacklist from Arbor would be a great choice and as of now is the best park board for 2012, and over all just one of the best if not the best snowboard I have ever been on. The Drift is one of my favorite 2012 park boards and possibly the best one at or under the $400 price point. Only thing I can see bettering it would be the Signal Park Flat. Which is what I will likely be riding for this season.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 08-04-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks SHREDDER97 appreciate all your input. I will look in to the evo and the chance of demo'ing some.

Guess I'm just keen as I've seen the Salomon and Arbor a little cheaper than others out there, but no point in buying if they're not right, eh?

Nivek, thanks for chiming in, see you giving alot of advice and support, so appreciate your recommendation for sure. Interesting to hear the advice based on only around 10-15 days on the mountain that it would swing the board choice. Thank you.

The Blacklist does sound awesome from BA and yourself singing it's praises. I understand you're pretty light, how did you find the 154? Think it's the smallest it goes, so would be cool to get an idea of how that might handle/effect things.

Thanks for info about the Drift. I have found a last seasons 152 for really not much at all (around ~$275) so is good to get feedback from peeps who have actually owned or used it.

I need the board test to hurry up and start so I can check out a Blacklist and Drift etc all being well. Just run the risk of missing out on the cheaper board now

Thanks again for all your help guys
Everybody else, please feel free to post your views too, always good to hear!
Thanks!