intermediate snowboarder - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default intermediate snowboarder

i am searching for a snowboard i am a all mounter rider. i ride in mixed of everything i do a bit of park more just fooling around and am trying jumps naturally made around the runs. i ride in a mix of groomed to powder. i dont have a clue what type board i should use ive used rentals all of my 10 times snowboarding but love it and now i have the funding to go more often but yea im about 5'8" and about 145 pounds so my style is all mountain and i am more into jumps and just carving but still like a light weight board so what is a good board underneath 250 i want to spend atleast 400 or underneath that with boots and bindings included i also wear about a 10 size boot(us)

Last edited by ThriftyCougar; 08-04-2011 at 03:45 PM.
ThriftyCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I just ordered for my buddy a Flow Era, he's a little heavier than you. 152 I think I got for him. $209 from Sports Authority. Based on his budget requirements, style of riding, and Nivek's recommendations of the board. He's a beginner that's been riding a 148 then a 154 of two boards that I wouldn't buy for $20 so it'll be a step up regardless.

$240 shipped, worth a look

http://www.evo.com/snowboards/flow-e...shoppingengine

EDIT: Save up some more money for boots, by the way.

Last edited by jdang307; 08-04-2011 at 05:22 PM.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
For your price range and riding style, I would recommend that you take a look at the Atomic Hatchet. You can find last year`s models still (brand new) for under $200 online. Just google "Atomic Hatchet" and browse. I have an 09 Hatchet before they went to a rocker / camber profile. It is full camber and has served me well. It is designed as a freestyle board, but I ride this thing all over the mountain (even summited Mt. Hood and rode it from the summit) It really is a great all mountain go to board. From what you described of your riding, it seems that it would serve you well and is a great priced board.
what about a burton hate 148 or a head matrix 148

Last edited by ThriftyCougar; 08-04-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

why are boots so spendy and tho they matter from brand to brand that match with bindings and snowboards?or do they all have to be same brand
Old 08-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

bindings & snowboard do not have to match brands unless you buy one of those newer burton boards with a rail-type mount for the bindings.

as for boots, go to a store and try them on! get the most comfortable pair you can find regardless of price unless its just absolutely ridiculous.

you're going to be wearing those boots for 6hrs+ and so make sure you're feet won't hate you at the end of the day

EDIT: brand of boots doesn't matter either, unless of course you want step-in bindings

Last edited by trevk#07; 08-05-2011 at 12:57 PM.
trevk#07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

do step in bindings suck?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

In a word: Yes.

In more than a few words: Never had a good experience with them. They are more hassle than any perceived "ease-of-use".
trevk#07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriftyCougar View Post
why are boots so spendy and tho they matter from brand to brand that match with bindings and snowboards?or do they all have to be same brand
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriftyCougar View Post
do step in bindings suck?
Most boards and bindings will automatically work together. If you do want an EST board and regular bindings (or vice versa), they usually have conversion kits for most of the companies . On the other hand though, you're pretty much getting rid of the point of getting an EST board...

Step in bindings are really love them or hate them. A lot of people love their flows and have no problems taking them all over the mountain, while others feel they don't provide the response you need. Given you don't have a lot of money, I'd go with traditional bindings before experimenting with that. You can find last year's bindings for cheap, so definitely could find it under or around $100.

Boots should probably be first to buy... if you can, go to a store and try them on. It's gonna be tough with your budget, but you might be able to get some cheaper ones that you still like (poor boot fit sucks).
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote