Went riding today .. stance question. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Netstalker

Default Went riding today .. stance question.

I am a beginner and will not be doing jumps or tricks for a very long time. I have actually learned how to link turns now without falling, which impresses me atleast.

my question is I ride normal ( left foot forward) front foot 15 degrees, and 0 degrees on back foot. My right leg always hurts after, pain on the right side of my calf. I feel this would probably stop if I rode Duck stance, but would riding duck hinder me in learning? like I said I am a beginner.

and advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Whatever stance works for you works for you. Riding duck will not inhibit your ability to learn. So play with your stance and see what you like.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
snowcraze

I had the same problem a while back. I ride goofy and my outer side of my right foot hurt too. So my stance used to be 15, 3 and i got it changed to 23, 3. It made all the difference in the world.
So go ahead and shift that back foot out. plus i think riding duck would be easier if you were gonna start learning switch.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
livelyjay

I ride with a normal stance, with my lead foot around 15 degrees and my back foot around 8-10 degrees. I only started riding like this two seasons ago when I started learning how to ride switch.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

If your not going to be riding switch and just prefer to go forward, I would suggest you try a forward stance. On my freeride board I have my stance set at +25 and +15. I find a forward stance really lets you tuck you back knee behind you front knee and helps facilitate your ability to carve.
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

i started learning with a the shop set stance of +21 and 0

over the last decade i have fiddled with this, until a few years back i found the duck stance at 15s.

it is the best for riding regular and switch and i do not think it will hinder a learning process at all.

you have to experiment to see what works best for you. as for lower leg pain... the only time i suffered soreness in the calf and only the calf, was when mystance was too wide.

as with angles, your width is something to be toyed and tweaked with.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Netstalker

my stance width seems to be fine, I have pretty wide shoulders and a large chest( 54"chest) so my regular stance is wide. Even when standing up ( not on a board) I think I am a little duck footed as is, and holding my right foot straight forward makes my outer calf hurt a bit after awhile.

Last edited by Netstalker; 02-20-2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 02-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netstalker View Post
my stance width seems to be fine, I have pretty wide shoulders and a large chest( 54"chest) so my regular stance is wide. Even when standing up ( not on a board) I think I am a little duck footed as is, and holding my right foot straight forward makes my outer calf hurt a bit after awhile.
sounds like you need to duck out your right foot then. push it out to 8-10 degrees and go from there, you can feel it next time you ride and slowly adjust it each time till you get it right.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Netstalker

thanks for all the input, I noob like me needs all the help he can get.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
FrankDaTank089

i have had mine set to 15 and -15 all along. it just seems like it would be weird ridding my board any other way. It works fine when i freeride down a slope carving, and just seems natural to me. I also go into switch a lot freeriding down a slope, when doing 1s and nose press 1s, etc. so its awesome having it set that way. I guess its personal preference, but personally, even if i wasn't riding switch, i would still like to have it in the 15 -15 stance, but thats just me.